How to get clean engine sludge from inside of engine? Severely clogged

Okay guys, Iv been lurking on here to find what I'm looking for but wasn't able to come up with what i needed. 2005 Silverado 5.3 L33 motor, 184k on engine and trans. I have had the truck since 138k and have taken very good care of it, always changed fluids on time etc. I have been battling oil consumption and blue smoke on start up. I took intake tube off and found large amount of oil in the intake manifold. I now have removed the driver side valve cover and what I found looks to be like very very poor maintenance from previous owners. Now my question is how in the world do I clean the valve springs/engine sludge out so when I replace my valve cover the old oil reside doesn't clog my new PCV bags build into the cover??? Any help would be much appreciated! Pics attached. Thanks! e7372bb3ff570d1c2350d272b1ac7ee5.jpge60d095a092982d0b5d00b3fbd462015.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Castech heads??? Are you losing coolant???

What is castech heads?? I never have noticed a coolant lose but I did see some fluid that looked like it sitting in the valve spring closest to the firewall.

Pull the rockers so the Valves are closed and start scraping with a lot of brake clean etc.

Do both heads. Do an engine sludge cleaner then drain oil.

Repeat a few more times. You might want to pull the oil pan.

Research castech heads also. See if you meet the criteria.

OR

Shop vac, small putty knives, screw drivers for small places and always have vac sucking up the sludge as you clean.

After manually cleaning the worst of it check out Sea Foam added to your oil. :happysad:

As stated above, scrape and clean, suck up with a vacuum as you go. Then use Auto-RX.

It has worked well for me. Your engine didn't get that way overnight so it isn't going to get clean fast either.

Also if you Google Castech Heads you can read all about it and what happens if you have them.

I never checked to see if I had them but when I flushed my coolant, I put in the GM Tablets as a precautionary use. I have never consumed coolant and all my UOA's have been good with no coolant in my oil.

When all done with the Auto-RX procedure, then go to a good finish rinse with AMSOIL's Engine and Transmission flush.

Use of a quality synthetic will slowly clean up the inside of the engine over time from there on out. It is the nature of synthetic oil to clean and keep clean the inside of the engine.

Oh, and when and if you use Auto-RX, use the Walmart ST filter. It is a low cost filter but still a quality one for short drain intervals.

I would check and see if you have the Castech heads just to make sure. If not then who ever had the vehicle before you didn't take care of it very well.

When all said and done, you could follow up with a used oil analysis to see how things are looking inside. You can use Blackstone Labs, Oil Analyzers, or Dyson Analysis.

Terry Dyson is who I use from Dyson Analysis. I like the in-depth reports he provides and the one on one feedback. No generic simple paragraph.

As stated above, scrape and clean, suck up with a vacuum as you go. Then use Auto-RX.

It has worked well for me. Your engine didn't get that way overnight so it isn't going to get clean fast either.

Also if you Google Castech Heads you can read all about it and what happens if you have them.

I never checked to see if I had them but when I flushed my coolant, I put in the GM Tablets as a precautionary use. I have never consumed coolant and all my UOA's have been good with no coolant in my oil.

When all done with the Auto-RX procedure, then go to a good finish rinse with AMSOIL's Engine and Transmission flush.

Use of a quality synthetic will slowly clean up the inside of the engine over time from there on out. It is the nature of synthetic oil to clean and keep clean the inside of the engine.

Oh, and when and if you use Auto-RX, use the Walmart ST filter. It is a low cost filter but still a quality one for short drain intervals.

I would check and see if you have the Castech heads just to make sure. If not then who ever had the vehicle before you didn't take care of it very well.

When all said and done, you could follow up with a used oil analysis to see how things are looking inside. You can use Blackstone Labs, Oil Analyzers, or Dyson Analysis.

Terry Dyson is who I use from Dyson Analysis. I like the in-depth reports he provides and the one on one feedback. No generic simple paragraph.

Awesome, thank you. I will start tomorrow by cleaning and using a shop vac to suck out the crude. Then I'll start with the rest of your steps. I appreciate the help!

TD- I showed this post to a trusted friend and long time wrench turner, ASE Master Certified- His opinion- Better off just leaving it alone and keep changing oil on a more frequent basis. You are now running the risk of picking up junk out of the pan that would lead to severe engine damage. Regardless, we both hope things turn out well for you. Things like this are what scare me when it comes to buying used vehicles. You have no idea how well the previous owner took care of things and even a good pre owned vehicle inspection won't find things like this.

If it were me, I'd clean it out. It's to the point where there are like crumbs just sitting there. I think frequent oil changes would get it out but you run the risk of blowing it up during the process, because it would have to run that way for a while before that sludge would be cleaned out

Archived