What size nitto ridge grapplers?

Your problem was the F-250 not the tires :fart: I have lots of friends where I live that run those to Xtreme MT and recommend them, as a midrange tire anyway. Always spend the most you can on tires.

I do like how you said you did not like ProComp so you went to Cooper. Thanks for the laugh truly.

Cooper literally makes ProComp tires so everything you said makes no sense except that Toyo are good, they are no argument here but they also some of the priciest and MT or Hybrids will wear faster no matter what period.

That last line got a little of your credibility back, only a smidge though.

Tyler

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have you run them? They are a new, too soon to describe them as "shit". Most LT tires don't have a warranty, that is why they don't have UTQG ratings, doesn't mean they don't stand behind them. Some do to try and stand out by throwing in a warranty, so does Hyundai btw...

Ever hear of overrated brands? Why pay a $100 more for a tire cough Toyo cough or cough BFG cough just for a name and they aren't the best and are out performed? One of the best tires in the business are Coopers, american made and much cheaper than the competition because they aren't jacking up their prices based on a name and constantly out performing the others.

Do you work for procomp or something? You are hawking those pretty heavily. You do realize (based on their website) the xtreme AT only comes in two sizes right? 295/65/18 and 37/12.50/18, doesn't help the OP much.

http://www.procompusa.com/tires-product-details.aspx?pt=101509&pl=3360

You lose all your credibility when you said "Always spend the most you can on tires", thanks for the laugh. You obviously do very little homework or research prior to buying and just think most expensive = best; wow...

OP, E or F load rating won't matter much, both are overkill and way heavier than stock. If you like the F get them, it won't make much of a difference.

Tyler

Perhaps I can clarify. I think any tire without a tread warranty is shit. They happen to have none hence are shit IMO.

I happen to believe that tires are every bit as important of your engine ... heck the entire vehicle. The whole point is to push those tires down the road or terrain. Hence spend the most you can. And if you are going to run a tire with no warranty on a brand new truck you are bat shit crazy IMO. I mentioned those because they are a compatible tire in price and quality to nitto.

To each thier own. And I could really care less about credibility with you sir. You do you and I will do me.

I'm trying to figure out what size nitto ridge grapplers I should get for my setup? 2.25 pro comp/readylift level on 20x9 sierra reps. I can't remember if the offset is a +31 or +27. I searched around and most are running a 285/60R20 or a 275/60R20. The problem is that the ridge grapplers aren't going to be made in those sizes. I think the 33x12.50R20s may work but I'm trying to stay away from a load F and possibly getting a load E. I don't mind pinning back the felt liner. I just don't want rubbing on the sway bar or the control arm. Here are the sizes that are available/will be available for the 20" ridge grapplers.attachicon.gif20160925_124024.png

Unfortunately I think you're just going to have to wait if you don't want 33X12.5's. I'm running 275/65 Duratracs and that size works well with a level like yours after zip tying the fender liner back in a couple of spots. Personally I'm going for 285/65's (or 35X11.5's) with my next set of whatever tire. They'll be E rated in the Ridge Grappler. I'm only up 2.5" in front and given my experience with the 275's, I don't see the 285's causing any serious issues.

The Ridge Grappler looks like it has the potential to be a fantastic tire. They're so new there just isn't much data on them yet, anybody saying they're either the best thing since sliced bread or that they're shit who doesn't actually have them on his vehicle is somebody talking out of his ass. I might try them, but I want a new set of tires in the next two weeks so I doubt they'll have my size ready in time. I might go with the Exo Grapplers for now and wait for reviews on the Ridge Grappler to come in over the winter. It's hard to find any user with a bad thing to say about the Exo's other than road noise so I feel they're a pretty safe choice right now (especially when snow and ice performance is important) and they're available in 35X11.5.

• 2 weeks later...

I might try them, but I want a new set of tires in the next two weeks so I doubt they'll have my size ready in time.

Scratch that. 35X11.50R20's just became available. Mine will be here Monday. Also available are LT295/55R20 for those who prefer shorter/fatter. Both of those are 10 Ply E rated.

Scratch that. 35X11.50R20's just became available. Mine will be here Monday. Also available are LT295/55R20 for those who prefer shorter/fatter. Both of those are 10 Ply E rated.

Where did you order from? I only see 12.5 wide

I don't know, you'd need to contact Nitto to find that out as they don't publish weights on their site. They probably won't have finalized specs until the tires are being produced in that size though.

Personally, if someone whose first mods were a wet sanding, headlight mods and tail lights, I would take their opinion on what tire is great/shit with a grain of salt. Nitto is a solid brand and makes a great tire. They may be a 'bargain division of Toyo', but their stuff is good. To quote the late, great Chris Farley: "If you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. Believe me, I have the time."

I ran a 315/75/16 Trail Grappler (no treadwear warranty) on my old 02 F250 7.3 6spd ECSB truck for around 45k before they needed to be replaced and they still were not at the wear bars. I just wanted to get new tires before winter. Thats mountain roads, hunt camps, towing my old rockcrawlers around the east coast. And in hindsight I drove this truck like a jackass because it would take it. I've never been rougher on a vehicle. No treadwear warranty, but if I can get 45k+ out of a MT style tire, i'll take it

My 97 4Runner ran a 285/75/16 Trail Grappler and the guy that has it now probably has 15k on it since he never drives it, and the last time I saw it, the tires still looked new.

I had a 285/75/16 Terra Grappler on a 99 4Runner and they ended up with almost 70k on the first set.

If those are bargain brand numbers, I'll take it. So unless Nitto totally whiffed on the Ridge Grappler, I say run what you want and report back after you put 15-20k on them. I am waiting on wheel quotes right now from a few people so unless I just cannot get a Toyo RT to try out of morbid curiosity, I'll be running another Terra Grappler in 295/70R17. I don't need to pay $250 more per set for a Open Country AT2 just because its a Toyo.

I don't know, you'd need to contact Nitto to find that out as they don't publish weights on their site. They probably won't have finalized specs until the tires are being produced in that size though.

I dont need tires yet. I only have 40k miles on my terra grapplers. But I want new tires.

Which level do you have? Will you be updating this after you get your tires? I want to hear your opinion on them and how they fit.

I'm running ICON coilovers set at +2.5" with Cognito upper arms. I'll update after I have some info. There's quite a bit of info on fitting the very similar 285/65R20's (mainly KO2's) in this thread as well: http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/156030-has-anyone-tried-2856520s-under-a-leveled-2014-yet/?hl=285

• 5 weeks later...

OK, here are a few pics:

IMAG1346.jpg

IMAG1347.jpg

DSC_2022.jpg

DSC_2030.jpg

DSC_2035.jpg

DSC_2037.jpg

DSC_2038.jpg

DSC_2032.jpg

So far I give the tires a big thumbs up overall--but I've only had them for about a month and haven't done anything tough with them yet. I've had them offroad but only in good weather so no mud or snow. That should change next week....

They look fantastic, the tread looks much more aggressive in person than in pics. They ride nicely, a bit more firm than the Duratracs some of which is likely due to the three ply sidewalls instead of two, but these are also a larger size and much heavier tire so it's not an apples to apples comparison.

They are more quiet than I remember the Duratracs being even when new, and dramatically more quiet than than the Duratracs were with 30K on them. So very good there--so far--for a tire with so much open tread. We'll see if they get a lot louder as they wear as the Duratracs do.

Traction-wise, as I said will take more testing. One thing I've noticed so far is their wet pavement traction--outstanding! The best wet traction of any truck tire I've used. Mud tires typically suck on wet pavement, A/T tires are usually somewhat better, but it's interesting to note Nitto rates these as better than both their Trail and Terra Grapplers on each side--actually better than any other tire they make, and it shows. I guess they just nailed it with these tires. Hopefully that hints they'll be pretty good on ice as well, even though they didn't bother getting the snowflake rating for them. Should know more about that in a couple of weeks.

The sipes look like they're nearly all full depth. While they don't have as many as some A/T tires, the Duratracs for example have about 1/2 their sipes disappear after some wear. These look mostly full depth--but with ribs in the tread blocks so they'll become "dashed" eventually but still be there. So hopefully they won't lose as much traction as they wear. The "step block edges" of course will be gone after a while so it'll be interesting to see what effect that has.

Back to the 35X11.5 size.... It's a really nice size but I can't give a blanket recommendation of it for those with only a leveling kit. They're big enough that things need to be perfect for them to work without issue. Build variation, specific alignment settings, etc, could all mean they work on one truck but not another. I cranked up my coilovers a bit more--to a point a bit beyond my comfort level--and I still have rubbing when hitting a big bump with the wheel turned. Trimming the liner won't do any good because where it's rubbing has metal right behind it. I've been planning to do a 4" lift for a long time so I think I'll just move those plans up a bit.

If you want a tall tire and are leveled, I'd recommend sticking with the 275/65R20's unless you're fully OK with doing what it takes (even if that means a hammer) to make them work. I know many with the KO2's have found 285/65R20's to work, but if you look at the specs, these are a bit bigger (though the Terrra G2's are about the same as the BFG's). But these 35X11.50's should easily fit and give lots of room for flexing/travel with a 4" lift.

OK, here are a few pics:

IMAG1346.jpg

IMAG1347.jpg

DSC_2022.jpg

DSC_2030.jpg

DSC_2035.jpg

DSC_2037.jpg

DSC_2038.jpg

DSC_2032.jpg

So far I give the tires a big thumbs up overall--but I've only had them for about a month and haven't done anything tough with them yet. I've had them offroad but only in good weather so no mud or snow. That should change next week....

They look fantastic, the tread looks much more aggressive in person than in pics. They ride nicely, a bit more firm than the Duratracs some of which is likely due to the three ply sidewalls instead of two, but these are also a larger size and much heavier tire so it's not an apples to apples comparison.

They are more quiet than I remember the Duratracs being even when new, and dramatically more quiet than than the Duratracs were with 30K on them. So very good there--so far--for a tire with so much open tread. We'll see if they get a lot louder as they wear as the Duratracs do.

Traction-wise, as I said will take more testing. One thing I've noticed so far is their wet pavement traction--outstanding! The best wet traction of any truck tire I've used. Mud tires typically suck on wet pavement, A/T tires are usually somewhat better, but it's interesting to note Nitto rates these as better than both their Trail and Terra Grapplers on each side--actually better than any other tire they make, and it shows. I guess they just nailed it with these tires. Hopefully that hints they'll be pretty good on ice as well, even though they didn't bother getting the snowflake rating for them. Should know more about that in a couple of weeks.

The sipes look like they're nearly all full depth. While they don't have as many as some A/T tires, the Duratracs for example have about 1/2 their sipes disappear after some wear. These look mostly full depth--but with ribs in the tread blocks so they'll become "dashed" eventually but still be there. So hopefully they won't lose as much traction as they wear. The "step block edges" of course will be gone after a while so it'll be interesting to see what effect that has.

Back to the 35X11.5 size.... It's a really nice size but I can't give a blanket recommendation of it for those with only a leveling kit. They're big enough that things need to be perfect for them to work without issue. Build variation, specific alignment settings, etc, could all mean they work on one truck but not another. I cranked up my coilovers a bit more--to a point a bit beyond my comfort level--and I still have rubbing when hitting a big bump with the wheel turned. Trimming the liner won't do any good because where it's rubbing has metal right behind it. I've been planning to do a 4" lift for a long time so I think I'll just move those plans up a bit.

If you want a tall tire and are leveled, I'd recommend sticking with the 275/65R20's unless you're fully OK with doing what it takes (even if that means a hammer) to make them work. I know many with the KO2's have found 285/65R20's to work, but if you look at the specs, these are a bit bigger (though the Terrra G2's are about the same as the BFG's). But these 35X11.50's should easily fit and give lots of room for flexing/travel with a 4" lift.

Those look awesome. I am looking at lifting my 2016 and adding some 35s. I want the Zone 4.5 and I like the look of those tires. I haven't fully decided to go through with it, and your post makes it harder to resist.

I have Nitto G2s now in a 275/65R20 and they are nice tires. My truck came from the dealer with a RC2.5 and I get this rattle feeling in the driver's floorboard at low speeds coming up my driveway. All is tight and truck has less than 5K miles. Wanting the new truck to feel new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm running ICON coilovers set at +2.5" with Cognito upper arms. I'll update after I have some info. There's quite a bit of info on fitting the very similar 285/65R20's (mainly KO2's) in this thread as well: http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/156030-has-anyone-tried-2856520s-under-a-leveled-2014-yet/?hl=285

so how many inches of total lift are you running? 2.5"? I have 3.75" of lift (level + body lift) and am having a really hard time deciding what size ridge grappler to go with. I'm stuck between the 305/55/20 which is 33.23x12.44 and the 295/60/20 which is 33.94x11.77

Archived