I'd like to black out my tail lights...anyone try either VHT or Rustoleum Lens Tint spray? I've seem mixed reviews and am curious to see how those of you have done it like the results?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haven't done it to my truck yet, but I did on my last sedan

VHT Nightshade as dark as I wanted, then I did quite a few coats of a glossy enamel to keep them from fading and wearing down (washing the car and rain wore them down the first time I did them)

I ended up redoing them a 3rd time before I sold the car to make them darker, but I don't have any pictures of that

post-160134-0-94679900-1473205918_thumb.jpg

Haven't done it to my truck yet, but I did on my last sedan

VHT Nightshade as dark as I wanted, then I did quite a few coats of a glossy enamel to keep them from fading and wearing down (washing the car and rain wore them down the first time I did them)

I ended up redoing them a 3rd time before I sold the car to make them darker, but I don't have any pictures of that

I was told to make sure I spray with a clear coat. how quickly did it fade? did you remove covers or just tape?

I was told to make sure I spray with a clear coat. how quickly did it fade? did you remove covers or just tape?

Within a year the fade was noticeable

I just taped everything really well

Please just use a tinted clear vs VHT. It will hold up way better and looks a ton better. I can't stand that flat black look on the lights. It looks unfinished to me.

Tinted clear?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tinted clear?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tinted mine. You can see through it the same as a tinted window.

I may have them painted later on, but I wanted to keep it removable in case I move to a less friendly state / area. Is it possible to remove the paint if a body shop paints the lights? The 2016 SLT LED tail lights are really pricey if I had to replace them to remove the tint / black.

I've used VHT a couple times before with awesome results. Note the job, after it's dried will need to be polished with buffing compound to make it look factory. Otherwise it'll look coated.

Another good note here. After I did my '05 it had a grainy/tacky feel to it. If I would have buffed and polished it, it would have looked perfect.

Tinted mine.

I emailed your shop and they said it was paint, right? I was going to have them do mine after seeing your photos but I switched jobs so I didn't end up passing through town. Mine are tinted with tint film at the moment.

Can I play? Replaced mine. They offered a tinted version which I considered but figured I would get the untinted and tint later if I want.

Votes .. are these black enough already?

IMG 20160831 185103

I would also recommend if you spray your lights especially to use a sealer like good caruba wax like Mothers on them even after a buff & polish. I do my headlights and taillights everytime I do the rest of car. Been doing this for years even on stock lights. Repels water and dirt and adds some UV protection.

Archived