Factory Trailer Brake Controller

I am driving a 2015 3500 Diesel Silverado. I pull a 15,500 lbs 5th wheel, 3 axle camper. Loaded running about 16,500. When I set the gain up to 10, I feel as if I have insufficient braking on the trailer. There is some resistance when I brake, but coasting I can use the manual electric trailer brake and almost feel no stopping at 10 gain on the trailer. I looked at the camper specs, and it shows that 3 axles, 6 brake drums requires between 14-18 amps. Does the 10 gain meet these needs? If not should I buy an after market trailer braking system that is designed to put out the amps needed for 6 brake drums on a trailer?

Are the brakes in good shape and adjusted on the trailer? All the brake wiring on the trailer good? I have the factory controller in my truck. I've hooked a friend's landscape trailer up, about 7000lbs with an old Ferguson tractor on it. Gain at 9 and it felt like not much going on. I hooked his dump trailer, and on gain 9 I locked both axles right up. He proceeded to tell me that the brakes on the landscape trailer were messed up, and only one wheel or axle (I forget) was working properly. I'd def. check over the trailer.

Agree with 15HDriver, I've had bad brakes on trailers before and no matter how high the gain they didn't feel right. Turns out I never adjusted the brakes properly. You want to adjust them where they sound like they are dragging and then back it off about a quarter to half a turn on the adjuster

I had a P3 on my 2014 Sierra and it was fine with my trailer.

But I had to re-adjust the Trailer brakes when I hooked it to the new 2016 Sierra with the factory controller.

I assume it a power output difference but the brakes are fine now on the 2016 after adjusting them.

Archived