Pop Up Camper MPG

I am looking at buying a Skamper slide in pop up camper. It is similar to the 4 wheel campers. The weight is 1100 lbs. I will most likely be adding airbags in the future. Does anyone know how much of a hit I can expect in my gas mileage if I do this?

Not the photo of the exact one I am looking at, but same model.

http://s816.photobucket.com/user/rpbelmont34/media/Camper/P2030038.jpg.html

Most of the 1500 trucks are not designed for these types of campers. Check your glove box to verify.

If the camper weighs 1100 (assuming it's a dry weight), that leaves you maybe around 400-500 pounds of available payload for you, passengers, propane, water, food, and miscellaneous gear. Not much wiggle room there IMO.

With any kind of wind resistance, and the extra weight, I'd expect to lose up to half of unloaded MPG. SInce its a popup, you may fare better.

Still, for any kind of RV style camper you should have a 2500 and up. You have enough bed length?

I thought about it before I bought the trailer, and there were only a couple campers available for a CC short box. Can haul more weight as a trailer, and have more room in it too. The campers I looked at weren't cheap.

Archived