GM Customer Service Build Sheet GVW ?

I recently asked for and received my truck's build sheet from GM Customer Service.

The Gross Vehicle Weight shown on the first page is listed as 3,178 - no Kilograms or Pounds after this figure.

Now 3,178 in Kilograms works out to a little over 7,000 Pounds so I thought I had the answer.

I contacted GM Customer service asking for details on the GVW number of 3,178 - Here is the reply:

" To answer your questions, the Gross Vehicle Weight will be in pounds. So 3,178 lbs will be approximately 1,441 kilograms. "

I think the Jeep CJ7 with hardtop I used to own had a GVW higher than 3,178 lbs! The window sticker for my '14 shows GVW of 7,000 LBS.

C'mon GM Customer Service. I know this a very small error but if they can't get this right no wonder we have so many recalls.

I'm pretty sure they are wrong - if anything, the 3,178 is KGs - the GVWR is the anticipated gross weight of the truck with all passengers and fully loaded bed, which would be closer to the 7,200 lb figure -

from gmc site:

Gross vehicle weight rating, or GVWR, might sound like a term only professional truck drivers are aware of. In reality, it’s an important figure every driver of a GMC pickup truck, SUV and crossover needs to keep in mind in order to remain safe while carrying cargo or passengers alike.

Easily found on a label placed inside the driver’s door jamb, the GVWR figure is the maximum weight a GMC truck or SUV is engineered to safely carry. While this figure does not include the total weight of any trailer being towed, it does include the passengers, personal effects, and cargo carried, along with the weight (or the gross vehicle weight) of the truck itself and the tongue weight of the trailer.

http://www.gmc.com/gmc-life/how-to/understanding-gross-vehicle-weight-rating.html

Well if you think about it, they're wrong. The truck itself without anything would be more than 4.000 lbs easy, probably over 5,000. A Mustang or Camaro weighs more than 3,200 lbs I believe so it's no way a truck even empty without fluids weighs that low.

Also if you look down the list it does say the rating in lbs.

My build sheet at the top says 3,269. Then I look down and the 3 digit code I have is C5Z which says 7.200 lbs GVW.

OK - I saw the - C5W - GVW RATING -7,000 LBS - about a third of the way down the first page on the right.

My point is GM Customer Service should at least know my truck or any '14 full size half ton does not have a GVW of 3,178 lbs / 1,441 kilograms.

You are not talking with engineers. The CS rep likely has a Knowledge Base and they just refer to that to answer customers questions. Many assume they know everything and anything but in reality they probably could not tell the difference between a Silverado and a Corvette.

The vehicle itself weighs about 5,200 lbs, the balance of the 7000+ being the maximum weight with passengers and cargo , the GM reps should at least refer to their own documents:

http://www.gmc.com/gmc-life/how-to/understanding-gross-vehicle-weight-rating.html

You are not talking with engineers. The CS rep likely has a Knowledge Base and they just refer to that to answer customers questions. Many assume they know everything and anything but in reality they probably could not tell the difference between a Silverado and a Corvette.

I think they believe that the cross between a Silverado and a Corvette is the Colorado

I think they believe that the cross between a Silverado and a Corvette is the Colorado

I think if they come out with the El Camino again then that would really screw them up.

Archived