bc-chris' 2014 Silverado SLZ Z71

bc-chris

got some new rims/tires for winter

my wife really likes the black rims - i think they are ok, but when i eventually get new summer rims/tires they will definitely have a lot more chrome

IMG_2748_zpsi1dfuvkj.jpg

IMG_3123_zpswfeuuhjw.jpg

IMG_3144_zpsgdfyqrwg.jpg

Edited by bc-chris
  • Like 1

thanks!!

the plasti dip is soooooooo easy....

make sure your letters are clean and dry

i used a couple widths of 2" painters tape around the letters

i did 5-6 coats of dip. the first coat was very light. let it sit for 15 minutes, then the second, wait 15 minutes.... etc.

once it's dry i peeled off the painters tape which pulls off the dip from the truck (not the letters)

all the dip came off the truck with the exception of the center of the 'o' and 'd'

i used a toothpick to just get the dip started then was able to grab it with some long nose tweezers, then my fingers

**i waited a few days then washed my truck so i could see any over spray. the over spray left on the doors/tailgate after i washed the truck came off super easy with just a little 'goo gone'

plasti dip is soooo easy to use - i love the stuff! i so want to dip stuff on my wife's car but she keeps saying 'no!' ha! ha!

here is one of the doors prior to removing the painters tape

IMG_2461_zpsk7kqqp6q.jpg

• Like 1

thanks!!

the plasti dip is soooooooo easy....

make sure your letters are clean and dry

i used a couple widths of 2" painters tape around the letters

i did 5-6 coats of dip. the first coat was very light. let it sit for 15 minutes, then the second, wait 15 minutes.... etc.

once it's dry i peeled off the painters tape which pulls off the dip from the truck (not the letters)

all the dip came off the truck with the exception of the center of the 'o' and 'd'

i used a toothpick to just get the dip started then was able to grab it with some long nose tweezers, then my fingers

**i waited a few days then washed my truck so i could see any over spray. the over spray left on the doors/tailgate after i washed the truck came off super easy with just a little 'goo gone'

plasti dip is soooo easy to use - i love the stuff! i so want to dip stuff on my wife's car but she keeps saying 'no!' ha! ha!

here is one of the doors prior to removing the painters tape

IMG_2461_zpsk7kqqp6q.jpg

looks good

• Like 1

making some illuminated cup holders...

the glow tubing was only $3.51CAD!! and the plastic is leftover from another project - gotta love that!!

need to do a proper assembly with drilled holes and stuff epoxied (this is just a mock-up)

hopefully have it wired in this coming weekend

IMG_3203_zpsostdoftr.jpg

IMG_3200_zpstfrlpfat.jpg

• Like 2

making some illuminated cup holders...

the glow tubing was only $3.51CAD!! and the plastic is leftover from another project - gotta love that!!

need to do a proper assembly with drilled holes and stuff epoxied (this is just a mock-up)

hopefully have it wired in this coming weekend

IMG_3203_zpsostdoftr.jpg

IMG_3200_zpstfrlpfat.jpg

Love it! I was thinking the samething. Well something like that. How do you plan to power it. I was thinking creating contact on the sides for power distribution.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Edited by Rock1500

for the wiring i'm going to drill thru the bottom of the cup holder to get the wires into/under the center console so the blue glowing wire that's coming out of the cup holder will be dropped down thru the cup holder and not hanging out the top like it is in the pic (likely pretty obvious)

i'm also going to be adding some lighting into the storage areas on either side of the center console

now - to power this stuff i'd LOVE to have it come on when the auto headlights come on. i'm thinking if i can draw power from the tail light 'running' lights - i don't think they blink when turning? maybe tie in thru a wire for the trailer wiring since i don't tow anything ever

so that's the plan... we'll see how things go this weekend - ha!

• Like 1

I'm planning to install some flush mount led lights in the side pockets also - I like the idea of being able to see in there at night - have a few of these still laying around and they flush mount in - would probably work in the center console also...gotta figure out what to hook the power up to...

2bcH.jpg

Hey Chris,

I'm working on putting in the gel on the driver's door handle lights - what did you do for the window module lights? There's two leds (one for the windows and one for the locks) and both have kind of a "light pipe" from the center LED to all four switches....did you put gel over just the center led, or over the four end posts? I'm assuming the led but am wondering what would show up the best....

Bob

Edited by TXTruk15

Hey Chris,

I'm working on putting in the gel on the driver's door handle lights - what did you do for the window module lights? There's two leds (one for the windows and one for the locks) and both have kind of a "light pipe" from the center LED to all four switches....did you put gel over just the center led, or over the four end posts? I'm assuming the led but am wondering what would show up the best....

Bob

all i covered up were the LEDs

i remember the light pipe things and thought to myself 'how am i gonna do this?' then thought to myself that if white light can travel thru the pipe then so can blue!

:)

all i covered up were the LEDs

i remember the light pipe things and thought to myself 'how am i gonna do this?' then thought to myself that if white light can travel thru the pipe then so can blue!

:)

good point - after scratching my head, I realized that I just need to cover the source...thx!

Also, on the mirror adjustment, did you only do the middle led and leave the 2 indicators alone on the outsides?

for the mirror adjustment and for pretty much everything in the truck in only covered up the white LEDs. so in my heated seat button the button is lit blue, but when it is turned on the 'intensity lights' are red and the 'on' button i think is orange

driver's door...

IMG_1356_zps3on8yapc.jpg

my thought process was it would be a weird colour if i did a blue gel over an orange or red light.

for the mirror adjustment and for pretty much everything in the truck in only covered up the white LEDs. so in my heated seat button the button is lit blue, but when it is turned on the 'intensity lights' are red and the 'on' button i think is orange

driver's door...

IMG_1356_zps3on8yapc.jpg

my thought process was it would be a weird colour if i did a blue gel over an orange or red light.

got it - makes sense - thx!

ok - a dash update....

i swapped out a bunch of the surface mount LEDs and it looks soooooooooooo much better in my opinion.

so here's the dash transformation....

stock:

IMG_1836_zpsbwhvwmpq.jpg

i ordered a dash inlay/needles from us speedo (http://www.usspeedo.com/ awesome company to deal with!! talk to tyler... [email protected])

the power/temp/gas/oil indicator from us speedo:

IMG_1751_zpsosqemfgm.jpg

and then i painted it black:

IMG_1831_zpsbsho00q6.jpg

the needles from us speedo:

IMG_1743_zpsfdyzjy88.jpg

and then i painted them black:

IMG_1747_zpsrqaaorku.jpg

IMG_1828_zpsmpsea0ut.jpg

IMG_1830_zpswu5xyenh.jpg

so when i originally put in the inlays, the tack inlay was made incorrectly (that's why it says KPH instead of the z71 logo. no problem at all, a correct part was immediately sent to me from us speedo - like i said, fantastic company to deal with)

i really liked the look but the red LEDs behind the needles we're cutting it - the needles didn't glow and you couldn't see them at night (and lots of my other interior stuff is now glowing blue, so "a change was coming")

IMG_2103_zpshovosplh.jpg

IMG_2106_zpsvdrjykad.jpg

i ordered a bunch of surface mount LEDs from oznium.com (another great company to deal with!! and a side note - i discovered both oznium and us speedo from this forum, so others have had good dealings with these companies too!)

pulled the dash apart last night....

IMG_5787_zpshkcv3p0m.jpg

removed the red LEDs and put in blue ones....

IMG_5789_zpsu5xkrgno.jpg

you can see the red LED on the right has been replaced with a blue one:

IMG_5791_zpsmcjs8niz.jpg

i swapped out all the red "behind the needles" LEDs with blues (14 total - 2 for each of the battery/temp/gas/oil needles and 3 for both the tack/speedo)

i also swapped out:

- the green LEDs for the headlights, fog lights, turn signals

- the white LED for the 'KPH'

these are a couple night shots...

IMG_5837_zpsehdcx5x6.jpg

IMG_5835_zps3d31lwwv.jpg

and a daytime shot...

IMG_5816_zpsiykkhyhn.jpg

**if you plan on doing this make sure to order extra LEDs as you are most likely going to mess a few up .... unless you are a soldering ninja. i do not have the ninja skills, but i did get the hang of it after a few LEDs, so i'm glad i ordered extras. oh... and they are really inexpensive, so it's not like getting extras will break the bank. i think i only messed up 3 and they were the first few i did

overall i am absolutely thrilled with the dash - i just love it and think it looks fantastic

Edited by bc-chris
  • Like 5