How to confirm if a new Sierra has the High Performance LED Headlamps

I just purchased a new 2016 SLT Sierra. The Window Sticker says it has High Performance LED Headlamps. But, they look like HID Lamps to me. But, I have never owned a vehicle with HID's before. So no real experience to go on, just general knowledge of what I have seen on other peoples cars.

Tried asking the sales man. But I knew more about the truck than he did. His answer was the the High Performance Headlamps looked blue in sunlight. And then he bent and squinted at the headlamps on my truck to see if they looked blue. Then said, if the window sticker says it has them, then it must.

The lamps are extremely bright compared to my old 2003 Avalanche. They just have that weird hard shadow line on low beam.

I tried searching for comparison pics for the 2 headlamps models. But all the pics I am finding are comparing 2014/2015 headlamps to 2016. Way different beasts. None I can find compare 2016 HID to 2016 High Performance LED.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1) You will need a trim puller to remove the large plastic valence when you open up the hood.

2) On drivers side you should be able to access the headlamp now. Passenger blocked by Air intake.

3) Remove the back cover piece, should screw off.

4) Light should have a fan (some LED headlamps have a thick copper/metal braid for cooling but i do not believe these do)

5) Report back

LED uses same housings as HID so looks same from outside.

h4-g6-cree-philips-led-250x250.jpg

h7-philips-cree-led-headlight-700x700.jp

So externally they both look the same?

Well. Glad to hear the headlamps can be accessed from under the hood. My wife's Traverse have to pull the fender well covers to get to them.

Yup these have the LED bulbs with LED lenses shown above in them. Lens does have a slight blue/purpleish hue depending on light angle but is white when lit.

To get as passenger one you have to remove the airbox, or the entire front end if you need to remove the headlamp housing.

I just purchased a new 2016 SLT Sierra. The Window Sticker says it has High Performance LED Headlamps. But, they look like HID Lamps to me. But, I have never owned a vehicle with HID's before. So no real experience to go on, just general knowledge of what I have seen on other peoples cars.

Tried asking the sales man. But I knew more about the truck than he did. His answer was the the High Performance Headlamps looked blue in sunlight. And then he bent and squinted at the headlamps on my truck to see if they looked blue. Then said, if the window sticker says it has them, then it must.

The lamps are extremely bright compared to my old 2003 Avalanche. They just have that weird hard shadow line on low beam.

I tried searching for comparison pics for the 2 headlamps models. But all the pics I am finding are comparing 2014/2015 headlamps to 2016. Way different beasts. None I can find compare 2016 HID to 2016 High Performance LED.

The factory led headlights are a sealed unit so the only way to check what the module looks like would be to either bake, or cut the headlight open. The 2016 led headlights are better than the 2016 hid headlight mainly because the hid are only d5s bulb on a 25 watt ballast.

Open your glovebox and look at the RPO codes on the SPID label (silver label with your VIN and like 25-40 three digit codes). Look for T4L or T4F. T4L is LED headlights and T4F is HID headlights.

1) You will need a trim puller to remove the large plastic valence when you open up the hood.

2) On drivers side you should be able to access the headlamp now. Passenger blocked by Air intake.

3) Remove the back cover piece, should screw off.

4) Light should have a fan (some LED headlamps have a thick copper/metal braid for cooling but i do not believe these do)

5) Report back

LED uses same housings as HID so looks same from outside.

h4-g6-cree-philips-led-250x250.jpg

h7-philips-cree-led-headlight-700x700.jp

These look the same because they are meant to be retrofitted. The factory module will have 3 forward facing led chips instead of side facing because side facing is designed that way to work in either reflector, or projector housings. From the research I've done recently it appears that the factory led headlights don't use a mechanical shroud to go from low to high. I'll have to verify it with my parts guy once the blown up diagram becomes available.

See this link with pics attached of the differences http://www.gen5diy.com/201420152016-GMC-Sierra-Headlight-Conversion-Harness/ If you have an incandescent amber turn signal they are HID if you have an LED turn signal integrated into the DRL strip they are LED headlights

RPO code that 15H posted would be the easiest. The hard cutoff on low is a function of the projector style lamp, helps keep oncoming traffic from cussing you too much.

Sent From My Galaxy S6 Edge+

Why in the world some of yall are telling him to pull pieces off his truck to find out the headlights is beyond me. If it came with the option on the sticker, it has them. Otherwise as 15HD said, look at the RPO code, pretty simple...

Those that are telling him different difficult ways to find out by pulling parts out, how do you check what gears you have? Do you pull your diff cover off and start counting? :rollin:

Tyler

From the order guide.

RPO code for 2016 sierra SLT LEDs is PDP:

PDP NEW! Headlamps, high-performance LED headlamps with GMC signature LED lighting

The standard lights are HID's:

T4F NEW! Headlamps, high intensity discharge (HID) projector-beam with LED signature

In early production, the T4F was not available on SLT (but was installed on the other trims).

(all early SLT's were LED, and LED is still included on SLT's with (PDT) SLT Crew Cab Premium Plus Package and (STF) All Terrain X Package)

Open your glovebox and look at the RPO codes on the SPID label (silver label with your VIN and like 25-40 three digit codes). Look for T4L or T4F. T4L is LED headlights and T4F is HID headlights.

T4F is HID

PDP is the LED's

http://www.gmfleetorderguide.com/NASApp/domestic/proddesc.jsp?year=2016&regionID=1&divisionID=2&type=0&vehicleID=17967&section=oi_def&page=4&butID=3

Archived