Rear-Ended Frame Damage

So my 2016 Silverado LTZ that has less than 5000 miles on it took a pretty decent hit this morning on the way in to work. For the most part, the damage looked like it was just bumper damage, but upon further inspection I see that the trailer hitch mount has been pushed up into and appears to have cracked the frame. Is this repairable, or am I looking at them having to replace the entire frame?

post-154893-0-63823300-1468254340_thumb.jpg

Sure it can be repaired with a new frame. Hope you have the other guys insurance info.

I did, the police did a full report and cited the guy that started the chain reaction. Not looking forward to being without my truck for however long the repair takes. After fighting with vibration issues in the first one, I was loving this one and had no issues at all....until now.

Not sure if they still do, but GM did supply weld on ends for the hydroformed front rails on the mid 2000's trucks.

GM upfitter guide includes instructions for welding on GM pickup frames.

It can be done, but (obviously) method is important.

• 2 weeks later...

Can't believe that this accident is resulting in around $17k worth of damage. They are ending up having to completely replace the frame and the bed over this. Crazy how much damage can be hidden just below the surface.

I had the same thing happen to me. If the frame damage was all rear of the front mounting points of the rear suspension, I would at least investigate having the frame pulled rather than replaced. Make sure you push for deminished value.

I did, the police did a full report and cited the guy that started the chain reaction. Not looking forward to being without my truck for however long the repair takes. After fighting with vibration issues in the first one, I was loving this one and had no issues at all....until now.

What vibration issues were you having? When I'm on the toll road here in TX where I can go 80 my center console/seat starts to shake pretty good. That's with all factory setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had the same thing happen to me. If the frame damage was all rear of the front mounting points of the rear suspension, I would at least investigate having the frame pulled rather than replaced. Make sure you push for deminished value.

From what I was told by the body shop, according to GM specs, once a Hydro-Formed Steel frame damaged, it almost always has to be replaced (mainly because it cannot be heated to repair). Fortunately this is all on the at-fault drivers insurance so it's not costing me anything more than being forced to drive a rental for about a month. Both the insurance company doing the repairs and the body shop (recommended by several GM Dealers in the area) all have lifetime warranties on the repairs, so if there are any issues as a result of the frame replacement, they will work to repair those.

Also, fortunately Georgia is a state where Diminished value is a recognized after effect of a vehicle accident. Upon completion of the repairs, it's going to a vehicle appraiser to get the value then I will get the difference back from the insurance company. I guess I'm somewhat lucky that they are for the most part just replacing everything that was damaged instead of repairing it. Plus it's being worked on then QA'ed multiple times by people not affiliated with the insurance company, so it will probably be in better condition than when it left the factory....if they do it right.

What vibration issues were you having? When I'm on the toll road here in TX where I can go 80 my center console/seat starts to shake pretty good. That's with all factory setup.

In the 2015 Silverado I had, there were vibration issues mainly in the steering wheel and pedals at 45 mph then again starting around 73mph+. After several repair attempts, GM finally agreed to a repurchase and I upgraded to the 2016.

From what I was told by the body shop, according to GM specs, once a Hydro-Formed Steel frame damaged, it almost always has to be replaced (mainly because it cannot be heated to repair). Fortunately this is all on the at-fault drivers insurance so it's not costing me anything more than being forced to drive a rental for about a month. Both the insurance company doing the repairs and the body shop (recommended by several GM Dealers in the area) all have lifetime warranties on the repairs, so if there are any issues as a result of the frame replacement, they will work to repair those.

Also, fortunately Georgia is a state where Diminished value is a recognized after effect of a vehicle accident. Upon completion of the repairs, it's going to a vehicle appraiser to get the value then I will get the difference back from the insurance company. I guess I'm somewhat lucky that they are for the most part just replacing everything that was damaged instead of repairing it. Plus it's being worked on then QA'ed multiple times by people not affiliated with the insurance company, so it will probably be in better condition than when it left the factory....if they do it right.

In the 2015 Silverado I had, there were vibration issues mainly in the steering wheel and pedals at 45 mph then again starting around 73mph+. After several repair attempts, GM finally agreed to a repurchase and I upgraded to the 2016.

Well that's good. I just bought a '16 Z71 on the 4th and when it starts to vibrate it's like I'm going to a gravel road.. Just the center seat though.

Well that's good. I just bought a '16 Z71 on the 4th and when it starts to vibrate it's like I'm going to a gravel road.. Just the center seat though.

20" wheels or 18" wheels?

OP: I was in a similar situation where firewall disconnected from the floor during a collision. Totalled my vehicle and I ended up pocketing some cash and my loan was taken care of.

...Then I got into this '16.

Not me.

I'd prefer the new frame every time.

Not me.

I'd prefer the new frame every time.

I had all 4 body shops tell me they would pull the frame no problem. I questioned it by asking if they were willing to put their repair on the line if I tow max weight at highway speeds. All of them said as part of being a certified Gmc repair center that they had to garantee factory specifications for tolerances, payload, towing ect... I had no choice.

Archived