Factory Tow/Recovery Hook Removal

For anyone wanting to remove or replace the factory tow/recovery hooks on their 2014-2016 truck, here is a video to ease the removal. All I see and hear is how hard it is and how many people do extra work like removing bumpers and grills, or cut parts to get them off, so here is a simple method and only takes about 15 minutes to remove both sides using basic hand tools. Hope this helps somebody.

• Like 4

• 2 years later...
On 7/8/2016 at 3:54 PM, Greg65 said:

For anyone wanting to remove or replace the factory tow/recovery hooks on their 2014-2016 truck, here is a video to ease the removal. All I see and hear is how hard it is and how many people do extra work like removing bumpers and grills, or cut parts to get them off, so here is a simple method and only takes about 15 minutes to remove both sides using basic hand tools. Hope this helps somebody.

Nice advice.  I used a sawzall though, only took about 30 seconds to cut the bolt.  Good looking bull bar.

17s are definitely different.  I watched that video plenty of times while waiting for my bull bar to arrive and even again while laying under the truck.  The bolts on my truck(for the subframe bracket) where all threaded in from the front of the vehicle with no clearance to get a wrench on it without removing the bumper.  I just cut the one offending bolt head off since the bull bar came with new hardware.

Worst part is that gm could of put the bolt in from the other side and had zero clearance issues.  There is no reason for them to build it like that and anybody that is putting them on if their truck did not come with hooks will obviously install it with the bolt flipped and not have any issues.