molded dash kit

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/owa7bhkmmesygt8/AADIK7PqoJ8MhJj9vayGI_Vla?dl=0

Photos on link above - click fullscreen for better view.

Before I comment on all the 'issues' and it sounds like I hate it - I'd say overall I'm pleased with the improvement over a plain interior.

Adhesive - Uses a very thin foam tape. Sticks fairly well. Cleaned parts first with Simple Green clear cleaner, then lots of alcohol on a lint free cloth.

They leave a tab of the covering plastic so you have an easy time of removing it. Really nice touch. Had only one piece want to take the foam with it. Came at it from a different angle and removed it OK. Better do on a hot day. Had to re-position a couple pieces and was able to pull back off. Once set, press and hold firmly for a bit.

Molded pieces - fit is OK. Not great, certainly not perfect. Radio trim was the best fitting. Vent trims both had interference in the same area on the top outside corner. These pieces both needed a trim in that area. About 1/8" on the right one, 1/16 on the left. BEWARE the finish chips and lifts using sharp precision side cutters. Use a dremel maybe and grind? Door trims hang a bit too low. Not an issue as to the eye they look perfect - but know they are not the exact shape.

Steering wheel trims (debated to use em at all) fit poorly. Not molded to the exact shape at all, and too stiff to manually force into shape.

Seat heater switch fillers are a smoked chrome. Not the exact shape of the cutout. Debating whether to leave 'em.

Finish - ordered the black carbon fiber. I've used dash kits before. Was torn between the blackwood and black carbon fiber. Used blackwood before in a CTS and it was awesome. Only used a few pieces for effect, and really added to the look. It was a different brand - flat kit only and was called black zebrawood by that manufacturer. The photo for this brand didn't look too appealing, so I went for carbon fiber.

The finish i'm sure is a hydrodip. Places where the primer shows on the edge.

The look is really attractive (to me), but if you are exposed to real carbon fiber, I'm sure you'd think this was a cheap imitation..

If you have a facility nearby and can get your own pieces dipped that would far and away be the best route. No fit issues, see what the product looked like beforehand.

Likely less expensive.

The flaws are apparent during install and if like me you will cringe. However, once installed you will likely never notice them again till you detail your car. And maybe not even then.

Brand - B&I molded dash kit basic set ordered from Car-Id

Value - arbitrarily I'd say over priced. Would have to compare to parts being hydro-dipped. Even if dipping is a bit more -no fit issues. However much more work disassembling and doing without till you get em back. Tough call

THANKS! Something changed after I posted it .... anyways created a new link.

BTW - the g/f noticed the kit is made in Mexico .... Just like the truck. #facepalm

Had a custom ... OK the regular flat kit part for the 3 hole cupholder ... piece made and shipped with the order for $40 more. Hate the textured surround of the stock armrest trim. Have to glue the existing trim down first as its curled. Pic to follow.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived