5.3L / 4165e Shifting issues

Hi,
I have a 2006 GMC Sierra SLT 1500 with a 4165e transmission. I replaced the motor this past weekend, myself, with a crate motor purchased at my local GM dealership. (Piston 7 connecting rod exploded). So all I did was unbolt the old motor and re-bolt the new motor to the transmission. I used the GM torque-spec on all 3 of the Flex Plate bolts to the torque converter. Shouldn’t be any issues, right? Wrong.

I don't have any issues in 1st gear or in second. But when the transmission shifts from 2nd to third.. The engine will rpm thru the roof and will not grab 3rd until I let my foot off of the gas and the motor’s rpm drops to about 2000 rpm.

I will say that when I initially added the flex plat-to-torque converter bolts.. The first two were tightened down to spec but then the third wouldn't even start. So, I had to loosen the other 2 bolts to start the third (learning curve). Then I was able to tighten them all down to spec. Could this have damaged the torque converter? I also didn't add any transmission fluid to the torque converter when mating it to the new motor. I was told it wasn't necessary since I didn't lose any transmission fluid when I took out the old motor.

It also smells like I’m burning a clutch even though its an automatic. When I pull the dipstick and smell it, it smells like a clutch.

Could I possibly have a bad transmission that just so happens to have gone out as the same exact time as the engine? Could I have missed a step in the installation process? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Reattaching it should do no harm.

Mileages on the trans?

Was it serviced correctly?

Shift solenoids?

I would agree it could need to be replaced. :happysad:

Did you remove the tc when swapping engines?

Did you check your trans fluid level before driving the truck?

If it's low on fluid, it will shift as you described. It you're smelling a burning odor and the fluid smells burnt, congrats, you get to do a tranny rebuild.

Sometimes these things happen co-incidentally with other problems.

Archived