Adding a second horn

Has anyone added a second horn to a newer truck? The puny horn in my 2012 is so weak, I can barely hear it in the cab; so I bought an low-tine FIAMM. I've been about ran over twice commuting to CT and a louder horn might get the point across.

Installing it isn't a problem, but my question is will the factory wiring/relay support a second horn or should I make a relay setup just for this addition?

Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Ok, I decided to punt and just install it.

Installed it behind the grill, grounded it to the frame. I was going to run a relay and fuse and all that wiring. I decided that the circuit is fused at 15a, and that I would just parallel it onto the existing wiring and see what happens. The positive wire to the factory horn is green, so I pulled back the loom, spliced and soldered the new horn wire onto that, and reinstalled the factory horn.

The factory horn is weak to begin with, then it's tucked under the driver's headlight, and then aimed directly down into a cross member (like less than 1/4 inch of clearance). Between the two, the FIAMM seems twice as loud.

The result, it works perfect...both horns work together, and it's significantly louder. Longterm will find out...but again it's on a fused circuit.

• Like 1

I have an LS also and I'm sure it's a single horn. If the single is on the drivers side where would the the other horn be located? I'm guessing there is probably a wire there already.

Thanks,

Mike

I looked for the wiring thinking "it would figure" since I already added a wire for the new horn.

It should be under the passenger headlight, but mine had no extra wiring of any kind there...I found the holes where it should mount, only no mount, horn, or wiring.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Hey guys, I am going to add a second horn to my 2011 Silverado LS... it does have the wiring for the second horn. it was clipped to a wire on the passenger side behind the headlight, it is clipped almost where the fog lights would be. has a metal clip in the socket, hope that helps

1 hour ago, seckels said:

Hey guys, I am going to add a second horn to my 2011 Silverado LS... it does have the wiring for the second horn. it was clipped to a wire on the passenger side behind the headlight, it is clipped almost where the fog lights would be. has a metal clip in the socket, hope that helps

Exactly seckels, I also added the second horn and found the cable under the airbox attached by a clip

20171201_185829.thumb.jpg.e517273c188d4655e3fb17a005cba942.jpg

20171201_185824.thumb.jpg.2292c20dc49b7260d6e4352fb4476fbd.jpg

• 5 years later...