Goodyear Eagle LS2 issues

I have a 2015 1500 Denali with the 20" wheels and atrocious Eagle LS-2's. It is a little over one year old with 15,000 miles.

I have had no bubbles or other defects or major issues on dry pavement.

On wet roads, it's an entirely different story. These are the worst tires I have ever had in nearly 40 years of driving. On numerous occasions the truck has done from 90 to 180 spins while making 20 mph (or slower) turns at intersections. Recently, in a span of about 10 mins, the truck slid sideway as if on ice. Once was on NJ turnpike exit and I almost went into the woods. Within five mins of that event, in heavy three-lane traffic making a big sweeping turn, the truck lost control again and slid laterally into another lane. I have had many occasions where the truck slides in the rain as if it hit a patch of ice.

About two hours ago I picked up my truck after it was at the dealer (Lester Glenn Buick GMC) for almost two weeks. I had also called GM and opened a case (8-2311352535) specifically against the highly dangerous complete loss of control in wet conditions. The dealer said they can't do anything unless GM approves. GM says that since the dealer test drove the truck on DRY ROADS and was unable to duplicate the condition they wouldn't do anything for me. I am a repeat GM customer, having purchased this truck new about one year ago and a new high-end Corvette three years before that. I also told them that I would be looking for another vehicle in the next year or two and their response to me would influence that decision.

GM's official response to me was to bring the truck back on a rainy day and with a GM tech in the truck to attempt to demonstrate the problem. I got quite angry and told them that asking - no, make that requiring - me to go out on a highly trafficked multi-lane public road and intentionally attempt to completely lose control was quite probably the most singularly stupid thing I had ever heard.

Until I can prove my case GM and the dealer will do nothing. I didn't get an offer of a discount coupon, tires at dealer cost, etc. I'm getting nothing.

I have researched online and found 57 official complaints with the NHTSA against the LS-2's. I am going to make it 58 and file one against the truck as well.

In the meantime I am unwilling to risk life or property damage and will be getting Michelin A/S tires from my local family owned tire shop.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a 2015 1500 Denali with the 20" wheels and atrocious Eagle LS-2's. It is a little over one year old with 15,000 miles.

I have had no bubbles or other defects or major issues on dry pavement.

On wet roads, it's an entirely different story. These are the worst tires I have ever had in nearly 40 years of driving. On numerous occasions the truck has done from 90 to 180 spins while making 20 mph (or slower) turns at intersections. Recently, in a span of about 10 mins, the truck slid sideway as if on ice. Once was on NJ turnpike exit and I almost went into the woods. Within five mins of that event, in heavy three-lane traffic making a big sweeping turn, the truck lost control again and slid laterally into another lane. I have had many occasions where the truck slides in the rain as if it hit a patch of ice.

About two hours ago I picked up my truck after it was at the dealer (Lester Glenn Buick GMC) for almost two weeks. I had also called GM and opened a case (8-2311352535) specifically against the highly dangerous complete loss of control in wet conditions. The dealer said they can't do anything unless GM approves. GM says that since the dealer test drove the truck on DRY ROADS and was unable to duplicate the condition they wouldn't do anything for me. I am a repeat GM customer, having purchased this truck new about one year ago and a new high-end Corvette three years before that. I also told them that I would be looking for another vehicle in the next year or two and their response to me would influence that decision.

GM's official response to me was to bring the truck back on a rainy day and with a GM tech in the truck to attempt to demonstrate the problem. I got quite angry and told them that asking - no, make that requiring - me to go out on a highly trafficked multi-lane public road and intentionally attempt to completely lose control was quite probably the most singularly stupid thing I had ever heard.

Until I can prove my case GM and the dealer will do nothing. I didn't get an offer of a discount coupon, tires at dealer cost, etc. I'm getting nothing.

I have researched online and found 57 official complaints with the NHTSA against the LS-2's. I am going to make it 58 and file one against the truck as well.

In the meantime I am unwilling to risk life or property damage and will be getting Michelin A/S tires from my local family owned tire shop.

:rollin: Worst tires ever (in 40 years you must have been on some 1970's tech bias ply tires which are way worse), spinning 180 (are stability and traction control turned off?). Let me guess, you want GM to buy new tires after 15k right? I am just dumb founded by peoples lack of accountability. If you are spinning out and sliding off the road, slow down. These tires aren't that bad, this is mostly chalked up to driver error. Could they have more grip? Sure at the expense of other areas. Of the 100's of thousand of these trucks and suv's sold on these tries if they were that bad (with all the soccer moms and first time non car guy dads buying these trucks that have no idea what they are doing or business driving them) there would be thousands of complaints, wrecks and deaths... Wow, just at a loss of words; really getting disappointed in people these days :nonod:

Tyler

Gee, sorry I wasn't more specific.

- This is my third pickup truck and each of the previous two I had for around eight years each, so I am very familiar with these vehicles and how they perform due low weight distribution in the rear.

- I drove and continue to drive RWD performance vehicles.

- I drive through NJ weather year round in my vehicles including snow, ice, and rain. I have never had anything close to these experiences in any other vehicle.

- All safety systems including traction control always ON.

- If driver error is defined as slowly accelerating and going into the right lane from a red traffic light and having the vehicle spin 90 degrees or more than I'm guilty.

- If driver error is explained as existing from a major road (NJ turnpike) and decelerating from 65 mph to 30 mph on the off ramp and having the vehicle unexpectedly (not from hitting a bump or any roadway disturbance) slide and almost go into the woods than I'm guilty.

- I went into the dealer and said right up that I'd be willing to split the cost or work with them on new tires. I was just looking for some help. They didn't even offer a discounted alignment.

- I had previously on two separate occasions verbally described the problems in the rain and they didn't seem to care. This time I sent it in for an official inspection WITH GM case as well.

I put in a case with Goodyear and GM. I agree these tires are a safety issue and that is what I said in these complaints but I did it at 700 Miles.

I now have Goodyear AT adventure tires which brake better and handle the rain well versus the LS2 where rain was like ice IMO.

I think at 15,000 miles you should just consider buying better tires. It is interesting to note there are always seems to be Ls2's or SRA Goodyear tires for sale on Craigslist.

Goodyear should stop selling them for LT's IMO and GM should stop specifying them.

:rollin: Worst tires ever (in 40 years you must have been on some 1970's tech bias ply tires which are way worse), spinning 180 (are stability and traction control turned off?). Let me guess, you want GM to buy new tires after 15k right? I am just dumb founded by peoples lack of accountability. If you are spinning out and sliding off the road, slow down. These tires aren't that bad, this is mostly chalked up to driver error. Could they have more grip? Sure at the expense of other areas. Of the 100's of thousand of these trucks and suv's sold on these tries if they were that bad (with all the soccer moms and first time non car guy dads buying these trucks that have no idea what they are doing or business driving them) there would be thousands of complaints, wrecks and deaths... Wow, just at a loss of words; really getting disappointed in people these days :nonod:

Tyler

These tires are one of the worst on the market and are dangerous. I ask every time I see a post about an accident here and elsewhere and it has always been the stock horrible tire. I do think they have caused many of the accidents and through peoples ignorance, they don't pursue the tire issue or consider it a factor. Many people think they had bad luck, or didn't expect more from their tire. There are several superior tires GM should have used. For such a heavy truck these tires are terrible. Can you lower your speed and expectations….yes. Shouldn't have to with todays technology in tires. I was literally doing the speed limit on the Florida's turnpike at 70 mph, wet pavement, no standing water, 75 degrees changed lanes slowly and the rear end came out!!! Absolutely ridiculous and unacceptable. Dangerous. They ARE that bad! You are obviously driving below the threshold of these tires but that is not where the common driver has his expectations. After three close calls of absolute dangerous I now have very safe, predictable Michelin's.

I hope this is my final update: Took my truck to another dealer and they did a great job! Re-checked all four tires on the road force machine and found 1 tire out of spec, made some adjustments and got it within limits. Tech drove it and still found a vibration. He hooked the Picoscope up and drove it for a few miles and found 3 of the 4 tires had a lateral vibration. Replaced all 3 tires and test drove it with the scope, and still had 1 tire out of spec. Made some adjustments and got them all in spec. It now drives great!

To recap: This took 7 visits and 2 dealers for a total of 46 days in the shop. It took 2 sets of wheels and 5 sets of tires to get this right.

Sorry, Dude! I feel for ya! I am glad it's all straightened out now. Freaking Joke!

Archived