Goodyear Eagle LS2 issues

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

UPDATE:

Got the truck back on Friday, the low speed issues are now gone. In its place is a vibration that grows with speed, starting around 45-50. By the time you get to 70 the truck is vibrating like crazy and the steering wheel is about to come out of your hands. I took it back to the dealer, now the 3rd trip, and I am back to playing the waiting game. I contacted GMC and have not heard back from them.

I will update when I get it back

I have 12,000 miles on my 15 Sierra with the LS2 tires for far so good no problems yet. the ride is good and traction is ok good thing it comes with traction control or the 6.2 would just smoke them.

I finally got the truck back and they ended up road force balancing all four tires again. This time they got it to where it is much better, but there is still some vibrations at highway speeds but it is tolerable.

Now the bad part, during all this process the dealer has damaged all four wheels. Wheel balancing machine has cut deep groves in a perfect circle just outside the lug holes. So now I get to go back and deal with this mess!

The Eagle LS which were on my 03 Silverado SS (AWD) were useless. Hard as a rock after one year and outright dangerous in the rain. I replaced them with General Grabber UHP tires for summer and Blizzak on OEM takeoff wheels for winter These were some of the best tires I've ever had. No hydroplaning really sticky and good treadwear.

I got the Eagle LS2s off the new truck ASAP (900 miles) and went to 22" OEM wheels. Unfortunately they don't make the Grabber UHP in 285/45R-22. I went with Yokohama Prada Spec-X for summer tires. Not as good wet weather as the UHPs but worlds better than the Eagle LS2s.

I can't wait to get rid of these LS2 tires. The other day I went around a corner in the rain that I have driven around dozens of times and the truck, very unexpectedly, started sliding. I had a similar instance this winter when it was snowing. I put the breaks on going down a hill around 10 mph and nothing but sliding.

I am trying to decide what tire to buy, but even though I only 5k on these they will be gone in a couple of months. Not worth the safety issues to keep these tires on my truck. I often transport my family in this vehicle and I am not interested in saving $1k to keep such a known safety issue in place.

I can't wait to get rid of these LS2 tires. The other day I went around a corner in the rain that I have driven around dozens of times and the truck, very unexpectedly, started sliding. I had a similar instance this winter when it was snowing. I put the breaks on going down a hill around 10 mph and nothing but sliding.

I am trying to decide what tire to buy, but even though I only 5k on these they will be gone in a couple of months. Not worth the safety issues to keep these tires on my truck. I often transport my family in this vehicle and I am not interested in saving $1k to keep such a known safety issue in place.

I plan on switching out mine on my next truck day one for some toyo ats

I run the crap out of mine, about to hit 30K on originals and are wearing perfectly with only 1 rotation at 15k. Well, cept for the middle a little bit. :driving: lol About to do another rotation.

• 3 weeks later...

Dropped the truck off this morning, this is the 4th time for tire issues. Bonus this time is they are supposed to fix the damage they caused to the wheels last time.

I'll post up when I get it back.

I can't help but think that the OP's tires are not most of the problem, but instead the wet pavement is . Around here if it has not rained in a few weeks , the various paved roads and intersections build up with oils and rubber , and other contaminants and then when it does rain , the pavement is slick like ice . Even my Bridgestones slip with just slight acceleration on flat road, until after a few hours and the rain washes the slippery stuff away. Ask anyone that rides a motorcycle how slick it gets the first 15 minutes after a rain starts.

I had 3 replaced about 1000km ago. I had 6000km's at the time. 3 out of the 4 could not be balanced within spec. They're absolute garbage. I can't wait until they wear out so I can buy decent tires. I even offered to pay the difference to switch to different tires when they replaced the 3 but they declined.

• 2 weeks later...

With a little over 500 miles on mine I am taking it in tomorrow to get the constant vibration mainly from 30-55 fixed. I suspect flat spots or some type of tire issue.

I have had much better luck with Michelins as replacements with past trucks and sports cars.

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Visit #4 was to have the wheels repaired from the damage caused from Visit #3, well that was a complete Cluster F***, had to send the wheels to the repair shop twice and each time they actually looked worse. Finally picked up the truck 9 days later and the tires were worse than ever! I ended up dropping the truck back off the following morning.

Visit #5 This time the dealer decided to swap wheels and tires from another truck in stock onto my truck. 7 days later I finally get it back, wheels look pretty good, dirty as hell, but at least they have no damage. Tires have also been swapped from the Goodyears to Continentals. Go to drive it home and the vibrations are still there, not as bad but still there. Checked the tire pressures and the fronts were at 51lbs and the rears were at 49lbs. WTF!? I lower the pressure and it drives better but still has vibrations. I call the dealer to ask if they balanced these tires? NOPE! It took 6 days to get back in the shop.

I just dropped the truck off this morning for the 6th visit, with the plan of the dealer road force balancing these tires.

Today will also be the 30th day it has been in the shop and counting.

I'll post another update when I get it back.

Archived