LTZ arm rest broken-replacement ideas?

My passenger side has been broken from the day I bought my '12 Suburban.  I've been looking since then to find a way to get this fixed without buying the whole panel.  The video a few posts back looks like a solution, but someone should sell panels with the fix already in place!

• 4 weeks later...

Hey there, I had the same problem in a 2013 GMC Chevy Silverado HD and I sprayed gap filler foam stabilizer inside and it seems to be holding up really well! I had just used the stabilizer foam to fix my cracked shower tray and it gave me the idea to try it on the truck door.  I could’ve thought about it more and made it fit better with less clean up (I didn’t have the door pieces totally set in place and the foam started oozing out everywhere) but I’m still happy with it.  I’d imagine if you drilled a small hole under the grab bar/armrest, you could fill it up with the straw and have very little clean up. It hardens within an hour too! Feeling pretty proud of myself considering I nearly pulled the trigger on a $500 door panel. Definitely wear gloves, it’s polyurethane-based and nearly impossible to get off your skin as I learned the hard way!!

• 3 months later...

This seems to be an even easier fix.  Just pull back and squeeze in this stuff, let it cure for 2 days before really pulling hard and it's strong.  Guy even says 5 months later, it has hardened even more and is very strong.  Hell, it can't possibly be worse than the stuff GM put in it. 

• 4 weeks later...

So I'm new to this website, but I'm loving it so far. Alot of useful information, thanks to everyone for that. I have the same issue with the door pull being broken. When I bought my 14 suburban both front doors were broken like that, and the dealership fixed the driver side but not the passenger side. I didn't know until my passenger said the crack in the handle pinched her finger. Im still looking for a replacement door panel at auto yards around me but haven't found one thats the exact same as mine. I ended up doing the parachord fix and it doesn't look too bad. I first used some flex fix silver hvac tape to secure it and keep it from flexing since it doesn't stretch, and black gorilla tape to reinforce it and give it texture for the parachord to grip on to since the silver tape is very smooth. Then tightly wrapped the parachord and making sure it was tight with no loose spots by twisting it with my whole hand before finalizing it. It came out pretty good and definitely is stronger. Ill attach a picture of it finished. I wish i would of took more pictures for people during the process but didn't think about it til now. 

20200813_092558.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/26/2018 at 2:09 PM, grogman45459 said:

So now, almost 2 years later,  my passenger side interior arm rest/grab handle has now broken so I decided I had to do something. 

Not wanting to to spend $1,000.00 at the dealership to have both interior door panels replaced with the same inferior design panel had me looking elsewhere. I found a POST under a more extensive repair video on YouTube where a guy said to use paracord to repair it.

So I went to Walmart and picked up 2 packs of 16 ft. black paracord at $1.97 each in the arts & crafts aisle. I tucked one end of the cord in the seam under the door handle and then wrapped it tauntly the length of the handle and then tucked the end in the  seam on the other end. 

It fits and works perfect!! The cord gives added strength to the handle and minimizes then flex in the handle. Here’s what it looks like.

009B9022-99AC-46EE-98C9-7B6F3AF02D72.jpeg

• 1 year later...
On 8/15/2018 at 7:57 AM, jatkinson8755 said:

Thats not even that bad looking !

If anyone could spare a broken door skin, I will fabricate steel or aluminum brackets to permanently fix this stupid problem.

If you can spare a door skin with a broken interior handle, please pm me.  I will make a fix for you and send it back.

If you cant spare the door skin, then let me know the part number and I will just buy 1 and get in our shop and design a fix for it.

Would you have some already made up …. 2013 Silverado 

• 2 months later...
On 8/15/2018 at 6:57 AM, jatkinson8755 said:

Thats not even that bad looking !

If anyone could spare a broken door skin, I will fabricate steel or aluminum brackets to permanently fix this stupid problem.

If you can spare a door skin with a broken interior handle, please pm me.  I will make a fix for you and send it back.

If you cant spare the door skin, then let me know the part number and I will just buy 1 and get in our shop and design a fix for it.

I have a  2008 Chevy Suburban 1500. On another post you asked if anyone had a piece they could send you so you could fabricate a fix for them. I have mine off and could send it to you if you are still interested. Wanted to email you but on this forum I don't know how. You can PM me at jsteger52 through gmail if you wish.

• 8 months later...

2013 Silverado LT - Same problem with broken door handle. Ordered one from a salvage place and it was broken. Returned it. Have searched for 6 months and still no panels. You would think Chevrolet would have a replacement part not a grand fix for this. 

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...