Firestone Ride Rite Airbags - First Impression

First reaction is that these bags not only vastly improve ride quality for tow loads, but are also an upgrade to the overall suspension for daily driving.

Rear suspension is both firmer with no jouncing, yet has also lost the harsh hit type feeling on both small and larger bumps. Under tow loads the ride is significantly improved with no loose feeling or pronounced bouncing when road conditions present a few rollers back to back. Any sag from trailer tongue weights can be eliminated with pressure adjustments.

I decided to wait on replacing the stock Rancho shocks as my local shop called Billy/Fox/King and none have yet issued proper valving for the NHT/Tow package trucks. The improved DD ride characteristics of the Ride Rites are a much appreciated bonus, but wondering if there are any long term issues with running the bags vs. upgraded shocks? Is it ok to run the Ride Rites at circa 30 lbs pressure for daily driving? Any undue pressure on axles or other parts from pressurized air bags?

Thanks.

Have now settled into 15-16 psi for daily driving and 30 psi for tow duties. I'll tinker with slightly lesser air on the tow setup, but for DD she is set. I'm a bit shocked at how much better the ride is, pun intended.

^There's plenty of room to run the air lines along the frame and under box to the rear bumper. The two schraeder air valves mount in the top two holes of the license plate holder and are capped off. Very clean.

• 1 month later...

^There's plenty of room to run the air lines along the frame and under box to the rear bumper. The two schraeder air valves mount in the top two holes of the license plate holder and are capped off. Very clean.

Did you opt for the tank and compressor as well?

I have a question that nobody can seem to answer when it comes to airbags so maybe you can help. With the bag at the lowest (and safest) air pressure, not sure if that's 0psi or 5 or whatever, how low is the rear of the truck? Is it leveled, squatted or nose diving?

I'm curious because I currently don't have blocks in the back of my truck, it sits .5" lower in the rear than in the front. I want to keep this look with bags, so I'd run them deflated or at a certain psi to keep this look and air them up when towing.

I have a question that nobody can seem to answer when it comes to airbags so maybe you can help. With the bag at the lowest (and safest) air pressure, not sure if that's 0psi or 5 or whatever, how low is the rear of the truck? Is it leveled, squatted or nose diving?

I'm curious because I currently don't have blocks in the back of my truck, it sits .5" lower in the rear than in the front. I want to keep this look with bags, so I'd run them deflated or at a certain psi to keep this look and air them up when towing.

The recommended minimum pressure is 5psi for non towing (daily) use. I run 7 and have a slight rake. If you run the recommended pressure and currently are at -.5" at the rear, you will probably be roughly .5" to 1.5" high at the rear.

The recommended minimum pressure is 5psi for non towing (daily) use. I run 7 and have a slight rake. If you run the recommended pressure and currently are at -.5" at the rear, you will probably be roughly .5" to 1.5" high at the rear.

That's exactly what I wanted to know, thank you! Would you happen to be running a leveling kit? I'm running a 2.5" up front. I completely forgot to ask you that.

Archived