2015 Silverado Dash Rattle

28 minutes ago, Christian Guerra said:

I cant figure out your picture above.  I too and having the same issue.  As I am driving and hit around 60 MPH I can hear this plasticy buzzing sound.  I thought it sounds like it was coming from the 4wd selector switches and vent area.  It's so hard to tell. But based on what you said the sound travelled.  Maybe my issue is the same you are describing. However, I can't make out the picture you posted and where to find that component.

No worries it’s hard to capture the photo with little space. The photo is as if you were laying under the dash, under the steering wheel area, looking up into the dash from around where the pedals are. So if you kinda lay in that area looking up at the dash area (it’s a pain to fit in there) you should be able to find that hard drive looking thing.  It’s got a wiring harness coming out the back, Tap it with your finger a few times and see if it makes a noise.

Mine was the 4 7mm screws under steering wheel and the plastic bracket that holds the hood release cable. I just put a zip tie around the cable and pulled it snug around another bracket close to it. Those 2 things fixed my rattles. Truck is nice and quiet now and it's been months since I did those things. 

• 5 months later...
On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 8:33 AM, neokonig said:

Replying to this because I just recently solved a rattle that was driving me crazy. 

My rattling sound sounded like it was coming from the left part of the dash behind the headlight/4wd selector between that and the upper left tweeter cover, but this was just the way the sound bounced off things into my ear. It sounded like springing plastic (sorry weird comparison) but it actually came down to a module that looks like a hard drive behind that dash that is around the steering wheel column. 

You can can get to this without pulling off panels, but removing the under steering wheel panel helps; which is two screws and some pressure clips. 

When searching for the sound, I tapped on this module and it made a metal vibration sound, it didn’t sound like my rattle when sitting in the seat driving, but I believe it actually was, must have been the way it was muffled and traveled that changed the tone. This module has a wiring hardness coming out towards the front of the truck, it has a small heat sink on it.

I resolved the sound by placing a piece a piece of rubber between the module and a metal bracket, it stopped the metal module bracket from being sprung. 

I attached a picture of the module circled in yellow and the fix I applied. This photo is looking up the dash from the floor. 

Hope this helps someone if they are searching for an annoying rattle while driving. Just one of the many this truck has. 

3FAE01A0-9B27-4005-9F46-A9C863562869.jpeg

My truck has had the same noise coming from the same area as you. I made an appointment with the dealership and will try this to see if it fixed my problem before I go in on Tuesday. Glad to finally find a thread that has some fixes for this problem. Been driving me freaking crazy this past week. SMH

On 5/18/2016 at 7:38 PM, wulfgott said:

Thanks for the pic, I will see if this helps the issue I am having. Mine does not really sound like a rattle. More like a pressure/air leak or something. Who knows though it very well could be this and just sounds odd.

I found that my rattle came from behind my odometer panel.... Hex screw was loose.

Edited by Christian Guerra

On 6/21/2019 at 4:38 PM, Christian Guerra said:

I found that my rattle came from behind my odometer panel.... Hex screw was loose.

I did some more digging over the weekend and I couldn’t find it. I don’t know how to take out the odometer so I just left it as is. I’m taking it in to the dealer to have them see if they can find it. 

I have a video of the noise just to see if it’s the same noise as you all have been dealing with but it isn’t letting me upload it cause it’s too big. Smh 

I have a rattle that seems to be coming from the area around the speaker on the driver's side of the dash. My question is can I just pry the top of the dash up and off, over the cluster looks like a small leathered cover, 2016 GMC SLT.

• 2 years later...

Bumping an older thread... I too had a bit of rattle on drivers side of dash. It was intermittent but had seen other threads like this as well as running across a YouTube video while I was looking for something else. Mine was also the tiny bolts under that lower panel. All 4 were loose, one had backed halfway out and other 3 were loose. I tightened them all up so I should be good. Here is the YouTube video I saw that details it

https://youtu.be/SYwx4unMG2U

And I had almost forgotten, back a couple months ago when doing my dashcam install and hiding the wiring in headliner, I ended up needing to remove the roof console that has the Homelink and sunglass holder. I discovered that the 2 screws there were loose as well. After dashcam wiring was done, I tightened those screws up as well. Hopefully tightening the screws/bolts in these 2 spots eliminate the intermittent rattles. I'm pretty sure it will.

Edited by mikeyk101

• 2 years later...

Annnnd it happened to me again. Over the last week or so, I kept hearing a rattle somewhere on driver's side dash. Very annoying. The other day when it was happening, I pressed on that panel under steering wheel and all the rattling stopped. I knew exactly what it was.

I took that panel back off again by removing the 2 T15 (IIRC) screws and panel just pulls off. It's held on by several metal clips. Once panel was off, I immediately saw one screw had backed almost halfway out and another was just working itself out. I tightened all 4 using 7mm socket. This should take care of it.... Again. I will know tomorrow as I have a trip to take from SE Wisconsin down to far SW Georgia. 1000 miles there and another 1000 miles back with that rattle would have driven me nuts...

I'm still not sure why they work themselves loose. I don't really have the Chevy shake and the ride is pretty smooth otherwise. And I haven't really noticed any other loose dash screws other than these. Oh well, at least I know the fix...

Edited by mikeyk101
  • Like 1

Well tightening those screws fixed the noise but noe my transmission failed while on backroad at Alabama Georgia border. Ugh....

• Sad 1