2015 Silverado Dash Rattle

I did some more digging last night and I have determined its the panel on the right. that is buzzing. There is the exterior dash that you see, that is bonded to a plastic casing, and then there is a cavity between another plastic casing, and then some metal casing. It's one of the pieces that is loose somehow and when it the right frequency going down the road (mine is 33-35 mph and 61-63 mph) it starts to buzz like crazy.

Lets hope GM finds a cure for the harmonic vibrations in the trucks or at least provides all owners with a complimentary 7 mm nut driver :rollin:

• Like 1

Here is the pic from earlier in the thread, and I circled where my noise is coming from. If I push on that panel, while the buzzing is happening, the noise goes away.

And I have tightened those 7mm bolts as much as they can go. I actually broke one, and have a jerry rigged screw in one spot. But the noise is definitely that panel on the right, for me at least. Sounds like a high pitched buzzing.

3ttIw1k.png

Edited by fondupot
  • Like 2

Here is the pic from earlier in the thread, and I circled where my noise is coming from. If I push on that panel, while the buzzing is happening, the noise goes away.

And I have tightened those 7mm bolts as much as they can go. I actually broke one, and have a jerry rigged screw in one spot. But the noise is definitely that panel on the right, for me at least. Sounds like a high pitched buzzing.

3ttIw1k.png

Hello fondupot,

I regret to hear you are experiencing a dash rattle and understand your frustration with this noise. I see you are reaching out to the other forum members for help. Should you decide to visit your dealership, send a private message my way and I can help provide an additional layer of assistance.

Best,

Julianne M.

GM Customer Care

Lets hope GM finds a cure for the harmonic vibrations in the trucks or at least provides all owners with a complimentary 7 mm nut driver :rollin:

I would not mind a free 7mm nut driver... always hard to find the right size when you need it. :crazy:

• 7 months later...

+1 this worked for me! I just bought a 2014 Silverado and I had a terrible rattle coming from under the steering wheel. I took this panel off. 3 of the 4 bolts were very loose and the 4th one fell out onto the floorboard. I also added a little strip of rubber and washer between the metal shield and the torx screw. Rattle is completely gone!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I have been through this a number of times in the last two years and found loose screws in a half dozen place in the dash.  Still looking for one more.  ready to pull the whole dash and locktite every thing.  I have also had a door rattle in the left front door and have had the door apart 3 times, still cant find that one.  I think my truck was built on Friday afternoon.  I have had 4 other Silverados and loved them all this one, not so much.

IMG_1486.jpg

IMG_1487.jpg

IMG_1488.jpg

IMG_1489.jpg

IMG_1490.jpg

Okay so today I got serious about this whole rattle thing.  Like I posted earlier I had found a number of screws on the left side that were loose.  I still had one rattle left that sounded like it was in the left door some place in the forward part of the door.  Removing the door panel again turned up nothing in the door.  So I decided I was going to find it even if I had to remove that whole dash cover.  I was close to that by the time I found it.  I pulled the left side of the dash apart again and found nothing.  Moving to the right side I did find 3 more loose screws though I had no noise on the right side.  I went back to the left side and started looking around.  I notice when I wiggled the hood release cable it made a noise similar to what I was hearing.  The cable was hitting the upper right edge of the wiring junction cover on the fire wall.  I re-routed the hood release cable over the wire harness that runs parallel to the knee panel rather than under it and anchored it in place to the wire harness with a cable tie..  That cured it, no more noise. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Okay the story of my rattle continues.  Things were quiet for awhile after finding the various loose screws and tightening them,  then things began rattling again.  I tried various things to locate the rattle(s) but no luck.  After putting up with it for some time I took a trip up to northern WI so I had about 7 hours to listen to it.  I realized it was not there all the time.  I also realized it was not always in the same location.  When I got home I decided I was going to get rid of the rattles or trade the truck it was so annoying.  This time I was all in.  I removed the center console and the whole dash cover.  After removing the dash cover I found two screws on the floor.  I then got out an air line and blew compressed air into all the areas I could not see into or reach.  I ended up with 4 more screws.  So either someone dropped a lot of screws while putting my dash together or threw them in there as a gift because they were PO'd that day. They did not fall out or some location because they were not tight because once I had everything back together I still had 6 extra screws.  Bottom line is I am keeping my truck because now it is nice and quiet.

Edited by Gunny 155
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

I created this account just to add my issue.

I had all the above loose bolts. Still could not stop the rattle, vibration metallic sound. After taking most of the drivers side dash apart. To include removing the gauge cluster, fuse panel, driver side air vent, lower dash panel all having loose bolts behind them. I also stuck foam in between all possible moving parts i could see and wiggle at all.

My issue was the 120 power inverter. Its mounted on the right side of the steering wheel( or left if you are looking up at it). It has the only orange cable(you can see the cable in one of the pictures above) running to it. It was 100% making the vibrating metal sound “harmonic” at times.

There is one nut fastening it to part of the dash frame(at the top there is a “hole and latch” ) once you remove the nut, you must tilt the inverter towards the firewall and up and it will come out of the top “hole/latch”. 

I took some 1/4 inch foam weather stripping and placed it inbetween the mounting bracket and dash frame. I did not tighten the nut all the way down but made sure it was tight enough to eliminate any metal on metal vibration.

I hope this helps someone. I was losing my mind. It took me countless tesr downs looking for loose shit. 

• 1 month later...

Replying to this because I just recently solved a rattle that was driving me crazy. 

My rattling sound sounded like it was coming from the left part of the dash behind the headlight/4wd selector between that and the upper left tweeter cover, but this was just the way the sound bounced off things into my ear. It sounded like springing plastic (sorry weird comparison) but it actually came down to a module that looks like a hard drive behind that dash that is around the steering wheel column. 

You can can get to this without pulling off panels, but removing the under steering wheel panel helps; which is two screws and some pressure clips. 

When searching for the sound, I tapped on this module and it made a metal vibration sound, it didn’t sound like my rattle when sitting in the seat driving, but I believe it actually was, must have been the way it was muffled and traveled that changed the tone. This module has a wiring hardness coming out towards the front of the truck, it has a small heat sink on it.

I resolved the sound by placing a piece a piece of rubber between the module and a metal bracket, it stopped the metal module bracket from being sprung. 

I attached a picture of the module circled in yellow and the fix I applied. This photo is looking up the dash from the floor. 

Hope this helps someone if they are searching for an annoying rattle while driving. Just one of the many this truck has. 

3FAE01A0-9B27-4005-9F46-A9C863562869.jpeg

Edited by neokonig
  • Like 2

On 12/24/2018 at 7:33 AM, neokonig said:

Replying to this because I just recently solved a rattle that was driving me crazy. 

My rattling sound sounded like it was coming from the left part of the dash behind the headlight/4wd selector between that and the upper left tweeter cover, but this was just the way the sound bounced off things into my ear. It sounded like springing plastic (sorry weird comparison) but it actually came down to a module that looks like a hard drive behind that dash that is around the steering wheel column. 

You can can get to this without pulling off panels, but removing the under steering wheel panel helps; which is two screws and some pressure clips. 

When searching for the sound, I tapped on this module and it made a metal vibration sound, it didn’t sound like my rattle when sitting in the seat driving, but I believe it actually was, must have been the way it was muffled and traveled that changed the tone. This module has a wiring hardness coming out towards the front of the truck, it has a small heat sink on it.

I resolved the sound by placing a piece a piece of rubber between the module and a metal bracket, it stopped the metal module bracket from being sprung. 

I attached a picture of the module circled in yellow and the fix I applied. This photo is looking up the dash from the floor. 

Hope this helps someone if they are searching for an annoying rattle while driving. Just one of the many this truck has. 

3FAE01A0-9B27-4005-9F46-A9C863562869.jpeg

I cant figure out your picture above.  I too and having the same issue.  As I am driving and hit around 60 MPH I can hear this plasticy buzzing sound.  I thought it sounds like it was coming from the 4wd selector switches and vent area.  It's so hard to tell. But based on what you said the sound travelled.  Maybe my issue is the same you are describing. However, I can't make out the picture you posted and where to find that component.