Iridescent Pearl Tricoat or Summit White

Iridescent Pearl Tricoat or Summit White  

267 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Alright. Just got back from the dealer. I ended up ordering Summit White. They put the summit white next to the pearl. The summit just looked better. Even the wife said she liked the summit white better. Now the wait begins.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Glad you decided. Although I'm a little surprised you AND THE WIFE decided on summit.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've always been a fan of Summit White. Looks classy and clean on every generation truck. I could never get past the beige

tint of White Diamond. I did see the new Iridescent Pearl in person and it looks (in my opinion) better than the White Diamond

it replaces but it's still Summit White for me. Have fun in choosing and let us know what you end up with.

Glad you decided. Although I'm a little surprised you AND THE WIFE decided on summit.

I'm surprised she agreed with me for once lol. Honestly my wife is awesome. I'm sure most women wouldn't be cool with getting a brand new truck with a 3 wk old baby at home. She's totally for me getting a new truck. Said to get whatever I wanted. She actually talked me into getting the sunroof. She said if you're not spending the $1000 on the pearl paint why not spend it on the sunroof.

The new white frost for gmc/iridescent for Chevy is much better than white diamond. It doesn't have the off white yellow hue, it is a metallic white. Looks really good, I saw a few last week as I was deciding between summit white and iridescent for my new 2016. I went summit white, traded my 2015 in because it got broken into and destroyed on the lot while it was there for service.

Sent from my treestand using Tapatalk

Summit White looks too plain jane to me. Every farmer and there mom has a white work truck around here so I opted for white diamond. When they're parked up next to each other the color difference is obvious. When it's shined up the color looks amazing in the sun. If I had to choose again I'd go with Iridescent (since WDT is gone).

I agree EC the WDT is much nicer than plain white and looks distinctive. Now I would choose Iridescent over plain white.

I know a farmer who buys only white trucks. He says its because he can buy a new one every few years and people think its the same old truck he always had. Has a big farm with his sons and the own over a dozen white pickups, gassers and diesel. They never sell or trade any in, just buy a new one every 2-3 yrs for the old man.

Dont get the refrigerator white...too white IMHO

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Bright white is for work trucks and rental vehicles here in florida. The new frost is whiter and looks pretty good.

I'm surprised she agreed with me for once lol. Honestly my wife is awesome. I'm sure most women wouldn't be cool with getting a brand new truck with a 3 wk old baby at home. She's totally for me getting a new truck. Said to get whatever I wanted. She actually talked me into getting the sunroof. She said if you're not spending the $1000 on the pearl paint why not spend it on the sunroof.

Sparkles are OK, but not worth another $1000 just to put them on a white truck. However, wife just loves the iridescent pearl tri-coat or whatever name GM gives their "sparkle-y" white paint. Just wasted an extra $1000 so she could get that color on the new '16 Malibu "grocery getter" replacing the old silver '13 Malibu.

Wife rarely listens to me anyway being sold on that paint color,insisting on buying a first year major redesign vehicle with a 1.5l turbo engine that is little larger than that in my lawn tractor. Only reasons I agreed to the purchase was because the dealer routinely includes a lifetime warranty on the drive train on all new Chevys for as long as owned by the original purchaser - covering all moving parts or parts in contact with lubrication (including the 4WD components in my Silverado).

And there's a reason they call it "tri-coat".....forget about trying to touch up a chip down to the primer with just one coat of the official GM touch up paint which is like watered down snot with sparkles. Had to touch it up with a base coat of white, then a coat of their sparkle-y touch-up and then a clear coat to get it to match exactly.

I consider the tri coat to be old man white. With that being said that's the color of my wife's 4Runner. When mine and hers are parked side by side, the pearl white looks dirty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I Like the Pearl and would have gotten that but money was talking and price was dropping on WDT! Never liked white but I am absolutely done with black after last two vehicles.......Something has to be better than black!

I gotta say ... I really, really struggled with deciding between white and silver. The car that I had prior to this truck, was white and white is a very hard color to say goodbye to, not that I have any problem with silver. We all know that those are the easiest colors to keep clean and when you live in the midwest (Chicago for me), it's kinda important. I went with silver because I bought the truck on new year's eve - last day of the month and year, when I was going to get the best deal possible - they had no whites, and only one silver, and I wanted the crew cab. But, I won't lie ... that first month, I was wishing I had a white one. That said, it seems like every single white truck around here, is a mainstream fleet, work truck, etc. They don't "stand out" at all. I do love my silver ice truck, but, a part of me does envy those of you with a white truck - great paint color. I'll likely go with white in 10 years, when I'm done with this one.

As for the topic - I agree that summit white is the better looking paint, in my view.

• 2 weeks later...

Iridescent not White Diamond. White Diamond has been replaced. OP is polling for Summit White vs. Iridescent Pearl Tricoat. Iridescent is much better looking and White Diamond.

Ditto Apples and oranges The older White Diamond Tri-coat is not white......has a beige tint. The new 2016 color Iridescent Pearl Tricoat is white , not light beige, and projects a much stronger white effect than the flat Summit White especially under low light conditions.

Chose it on the 2016 Malibu even with the hefty price because it pops when compared to the flat Summit White on this model. Evidently this Iridescent Pearl uses Summit White as the first of the three coats: white - iridescent chips - clear coat. Proof was in a chip that I touched up on the vehicle which went down to the dark primer, the first step is to touch up the chip with Summit White and then apply the GM Iridescent Pearl Tri-coat which lacquer is almost clear snot with iridescent chips and then clear coat and you'll get a perfect color match.

Archived