What to do about rust.

Here's a quick and cheap way.

IMAG0991_zpsjl7zv3mx.jpg

IMAG0993_zpsuh57wfjv.jpg

Probably won't last long term, but looks pretty good for now.

Your other option is t go to a body shop.....and yes, that is expensive.

You say fender wells, would aftermarket fender flares (or factory ones like mine) cover it up? If so, maybe you could at least get the rust to stop spreading, then cover up the bad spots so you don't have to paint.

If it's just a small spot find a nail polish that matches and touch it up. I did that on a car when I was younger and it held up and stopped it from spreading

Here's a quick and cheap way.

IMAG0991_zpsjl7zv3mx.jpg

IMAG0993_zpsuh57wfjv.jpg

Probably won't last long term, but looks pretty good for now.

Your other option is t go to a body shop.....and yes, that is expensive.

You say fender wells, would aftermarket fender flares (or factory ones like mine) cover it up? If so, maybe you could at least get the rust to stop spreading, then cover up the bad spots so you don't have to paint.

What about having it Line-xed instead of the cheap rattle can stuff. It won't cost THAT much, and they will grind the rust off before shooting it. The Line-x will never come off.

I was quoted $1,100 from Line-X. They also would do a good job masking everything off, so that plays into is as well. I went on the cheap route to hopefully get 5 more years out the truck. So far it has actually held up fairly well. Like most things, it's all in the prep work.

Sand it down and rattlecan bedliner it, worked on a friends truck, his was rotting at the rockers. Still holding up to this day 4 years later and he lives at the coast.

Get rid of the truck, once you get a little rust it all goes in a couple years

I already proposed that to the wife, to get a crew cab and she won't go for it. I don't really want to add the fender flares, because right now the truck has a nice clean look to it. It has the painted running boards on it.

The truck only has 94,000 miles on it and it has leather and everything. It does have the engine knock, that is the only bad thing about it.

I already proposed that to the wife, to get a crew cab and she won't go for it. I don't really want to add the fender flares, because right now the truck has a nice clean look to it. It has the painted running boards on it.

The truck only has 94,000 miles on it and it has leather and everything. It does have the engine knock, that is the only bad thing about it.

Tell her this is what it will look like in 2 years... 082e8aa0-8672-1032-b743-4c3114d2dee3.jpg

It's rotting from the inside out... not the outside in. Sanding and all that won't do anything. Start washing out between the inner and outer bedskins in the future with a different truck obviously and you won't have this issue. Patch panels or box skins to do it correctly... anything else is a bandaid on cancer

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Tell her this is what it will look like in 2 years... 082e8aa0-8672-1032-b743-4c3114d2dee3.jpg

That is how my parents current 07 GMT900 started to look. Dad decided to just buy a whole different bed, paint it to match and put it on the truck.

Fender Flares may not look the best, but they look better than rust! If you do go that route, I'll say it again.....fix the rust to keep it from spreading!

That is what my dad did to his old truck. I don't really care for the fender flares on my truck. I am going to go buy a auto body shop and see what they tell me.

Might be cheaper just to find a new bed then replace the panels. If you fix one side.. The other side will have bubbles next year. There are tons of beds around for that truck. The GMT 900's have zero paint protection around the rear wheels so it literally just eats the paint off the bed from rocks and road debris

Archived