Headlight Illumination Issues

I fixed the headlight problem on my '14 Sierra, I traded it in on 2016 Silverado....

If only my wife would let me!

Seems like the problem has resolved itself to: 1) install HID bulbs, expensive and sometimes problematic, but providing great illumination if all goes well; and 2) finding the best substitute bulb for the weak 55 watt 9011 9012 bulb that comes stock in the 2014 Sierra. I am currently using the Vosla 55 Watt HIR bulb provided by GM as an upgrade with the TSB, but have the Sylvania 9012 9011 65 Watt bulb in reserve. It is a shame GMC does not provide a better solution -- like a tailor-made, plug and play HID bulb for this vehicle.

Correction made to bulb numbers -- I had them reversed -- thanks to post from WLC.

Edited by SierraRover

If only my wife would let me!

Seems like the problem has resolved itself to: 1) install HID bulbs, expensive and sometimes problematic, but providing great illumination if all goes well; and 2) finding the best substitute bulb for the weak 55 watt 9011 bulb that comes stock in the 2014 Sierra. I am currently using the Vosla 55 Watt HIR bulb provided by GM as an upgrade with the TSB, but have the Sylvania 9012 65 Watt bulb in reserve. It is a shame GMC does not provide a better solution -- like a tailor-made, plug and play HID bulb for this vehicle.

9012 are stock bulbs. That's a pretty good idea about the HID's. GM should send us a pair if requested !

Proof that new 2016 HD trucks have HID Lens/Bulbs. The housings look identical from under the hood (and why wouldn't they?) This is the drivers side brand new 2500HD that was "loaded".

The HID assembly can be seen through the front of the lamp.

The lens just covers the bulb whereas with the "projector" lights in the '14-'15 trucks it covers the entire hole. Look at yours and you'll see what I mean.

If you look closely you'll see the metal near the bottom. Not sure what they are using but it looks remarkably like any aftermarket HID bulb.

The salesman at the dealership didn't even know that were using these!

post-129463-0-83961500-1451780059_thumb.png

post-129463-0-84179500-1451780065_thumb.png

• Like 1

So, shouldn't GM offer these (for free) in place of the 2014/2015 headlight assemblies? (

That would be fantastic, however GM is not interested in satisfied customers, much like most North American manufacturers, they only want your money for new vehicles besides the government agencies responsible for this have approved the current lights we have as having met their standards. So basically grin and bear it, we can only hope that those who have initiated a law suit are successful and force GM to reconsider the error of their ways!

• Like 2

I purchased a 2014 1500 Silverado crew cab in Feb 2014. The very first thing I noticed where that the headlights where very dim. I complained to the dealership every time I brought it in for service. Obviously there is nothing they can do about it. I have an 06 Escalade with HID's and it's great. I was a dumb as for ASSUMING the 2014 had HID's and literally regret the purchase. This may seem frivolous but when your spending 50k plus on something I feel it should be the best technology at that time (just short of putting better crap or more options in a Cadillac).

I hate it so much I ordered a 2016. (Wrong forum but the 5.3L also sucks and I went with the 6.2 this time). I've owned Chevy's all my life, and this will be my 4th pickup, If this one lets me down, Toyota here I come.

Proof that new 2016 HD trucks have HID Lens/Bulbs. The housings look identical from under the hood (and why wouldn't they?) This is the drivers side brand new 2500HD that was "loaded".

The HID assembly can be seen through the front of the lamp.

The lens just covers the bulb whereas with the "projector" lights in the '14-'15 trucks it covers the entire hole. Look at yours and you'll see what I mean.

If you look closely you'll see the metal near the bottom. Not sure what they are using but it looks remarkably like any aftermarket HID bulb.

The salesman at the dealership didn't even know that were using these!

I didn't think the 2016 2500/3500s had HIDs, I thought they are the same as 14/15 half tons, style wise at least. I could be wrong about the bulb/projector itself.

PS,

I stand corrected, right from GMC's website on the 2500 page.

ATTENTION TO DETAIL

It’s the little things that set the new Sierra 2500 Denali HD truck apart, taking Denali style to an unparalleled level of refinement. It features design details such as:

• Projector headlamps with new HID bulbs
  • LED signature front lighting
  • Signature Denali grille
  • Bright chrome bumpers
  • Available 20″ polished aluminum wheels
  • Wheel arch moldings
  • Chrome belt moldings
  • Chrome mirror caps and door handles

You would think this would be offered to previous owners who complain about headlights, and offered at a special or no cost.

As I stated in my previous post, I have a decent set of LEDs in mine at the moment but I am still curious if there is an option from the dealers to install HIDs just as a personal interest, also curious about the new projector itself as I am sure they have had to have improved the light spread of it.

I almost want to stop by a dealer and look under the hood of these new 2016 HDs.

Edited by Jordan18

You would think this would be offered to previous owners who complain about headlights, and offered at a special or no cost.

Q1: If you are willing to spend the $$, wonder if you could swap the entire assembly into a 2014/2015.

Q2: Wonder what it would cost <sigh>

Q1: If you are willing to spend the $$, wonder if you could swap the entire assembly into a 2014/2015.

Q2: Wonder what it would cost <sigh>

If I was to swap the housing assembly if I was willing to spend money I would do it with the new half ton styles. But the 2500s look identical in every way except the projector and of course the bulb.

I heard it's a pain to open these housings up and takes time, so my answer from GM would probably be nothing short of $1000.

my truck was built in nov. 2015 so i checked the bulbs. they were the phillips and not the ones called out in the tsb. i went into the dealer and asked about this. they checked and told me they would have to order the new bulbs. you would think they would have these in stock. will see if they make a big improvement.

If I was to swap the housing assembly if I was willing to spend money I would do it with the new half ton styles. But the 2500s look identical in every way except the projector and of course the bulb.

I heard it's a pain to open these housings up and takes time, so my answer from GM would probably be nothing short of $1000.

The "fixes" I've seen are pretty crude. Cutting the back off the housing with a "hot knife" to fit the HID bulb/lens and then putting it back together with roofing tape.

Edited by shedkept

Anyone know if there are visibility problems with other GM vehicles with projectors? I notice a lot of them now have them and can't imagine the lamp assembly being that different from the trucks.

I've been keeping the my dash lights to a minimum and works for me at night. The PITA is transitions like backing out of garage or dreary days when headlights are still on. The back up cam display is then too dark to see because of low back light. You would think a modern vehicle could adjust dash light and (mylink) brightness better than it does. In my truck the dash lights go to minimum with about 1/4 dimmer thumb wheel adjustment left. But the mylink and the console lights and knobs use the full range range of the wheel so the part that throws the most light is the part that dims last. Just another example of the poor quality control and design on this vehicle.