Headlight Illumination Issues

I replaced my bulbs with the Silverstar 9012 white bulbs just for the fun of it. I was hoping that they would be more of a whiter light than the upgraded bulbs that were installed during the update.

Don't waste your money, The silverstar bulbs are just as bright but the color is so close to the same as the gm bulbs it wasn't worth taking a picture. I'm going to give the Xencn 9012 5300K bulbs a try and see what they are like.

Some before and after night time pictures would be interesting to see how they compare.

Some before and after night time pictures would be interesting to see how they compare.

I planned on taking pics but with no noticeable difference I didn't bother. It was a total waste of time and money. If you cant see a difference with the human eye your not going to see anything in a picture. I even had the girlfriend look and she didn't notice any difference either.

I planned on taking pics but with no noticeable difference I didn't bother. It was a total waste of time and money. If you cant see a difference with the human eye your not going to see anything in a picture. I even had the girlfriend look and she didn't notice any difference either.

To clarify, if/when you swap out to the Xencn 9012 5300K bulbs to compare to your current set-up.

To clarify, if/when you swap out to the Xencn 9012 5300K bulbs to compare to your current set-up.

You bet I will. I ordered off of ebay so it may take a while to get them but for sure I will unless its not noticeable at which point I will be pretty cranky! LOL I will post an update as soon as I have one.

Same problem the GM dealer has encountered with installing HID kits here, now they refuse to waste their time. They had manufacturers reps from the various kits try to resolve the problem, but so far no success. I tried led lights, without success now I have a led light bar behind my grill and that works great, but I have to get the dealer to connect it to the dimmer switch.

Chevy is going to fix the moisture issue by changing the high and low headlights, I am very happy with my PIIA bulbs , 4000. K... Any more than 4300. K you loose luminance, those blue lights are just a fashion statement, I have had 6000k piias before, they were so bad on dark rainy roads I threw them out.

:ughdance: "White Cane" optional at night? Blinding mirrors, dash lights that are over-cooked and no headlights. 3 Strikes.

The headlights I can agree with, but as for dash lights, there is a dimmer switch that allows you to adjust the brightness and mirrors I have never ran into a problem with if adjusted properly, unless some twit rides my ass with his accessory driving light on.

Edited by rufous03

• 2 weeks later...

I keep thinking, what should I do to get brighter headlights on my 14 Sierra.... I love the truck top to bottom except for the lights being such poor output. I've been thinking of trying to trade for a Silverado but, I'll lose my ass on the deal probably.

I have since put some EBAY-special (chinese) 4500 Lumen led lights. 9006 plug and play. Paid $90 for them. I have had them about 2 months now, and I cannot complain at all. I couldn't compare to HID because I have never them before. They throw the light better and light up the ditches decently. Ultimately still want a light bar for good measure.

My recommendation to those with a 2014/2015 Sierra is to go the your GMC dealer and have the TSB (#PIT5374) performed. The dealer will flash the body control module (BCM) to increase the voltage and then install 9012 Vosla 28432 55 watt bulbs. See http://www.vosla-german-lighting.com/en/automobile-lighting/headlight-bulbs/headlight-bulbs.html?action=detail&product_id=374&type=HIR2&name=30%25+more+Light for more data on the Vosla bulbs. They are HIR bulbs that I think are about 20% brighter than the stock 9012's, athough Vosla claims a bit more. They are roughly equal in brightness to the 9011 Sylvania 65 Watt bulbs, which were an "unauthorized" solution a lot of people were doing on their own. The 9011 bulb can be made to fit the 9012 socket by trimming the flange tab.

One poster noted that the Vosla bulbs may get dimmer over time, and in researching the company's datasheet, it is apparent they are not long-lasting bulbs. I'm keeping one of the 9011 bulbs I used previously in the truck in case I need to replace a burned out Vosla bulb on the road. Changing the driver's side bulb would be easy, but changing the passenger side bulb would be a lot harder (since the air box needs to be moved out the the way first). I'm watching the level of illumination to see if the Vosla's are getting dimmer, but so far they are about the same as when the dealer installed them (three months ago).

Bottom line, the Vosla 9012-type bulbs are better than OEM stock 9012's and do an adequate job. If I drove country roads a lot, I'd add an LED light bar; driving in the city and suburbs, I don't want to blind on-coming drivers so can't really use a light bar here.

My 2014 Sierra 1500 is excellent in all other regards (well, it's a little light in the ass in the snow, but that's typical of pickups. I just got a set of cable chains to keep in the back in case I get caught in a real snowstorm and need to get home). I like the Sierra; I intend to keep it for a long time; but I'd pay $ if GM or an aftermarket company offered a decent complete headlight that replaced the goofy projectors and dim bulbs and really worked. Aftermarket HID ad hoc setups strike me as too problematic to rely on ... although some folks say they have had success with them.

Search Terms: GMC Sierra headlights, #PIT5374, Vosla 28432, weak headlights, headlight problems; SierraRover.

Edited by SierraRover
  • Like 1

After having 4 different kinds of bulbs and the GM update I have conceded that 2014 sierras are daytime trucks! The mountains of Tenn. with rain and a patch of darkness in the smokies scared all four of us.70+ mph with no vibs and 20+ mpg was good. Seen gas@ $1.66 a gallon. Home safe!

after giving up on my headlights I went to the fogs. Replaced fog bulbs with starnill 5202 from amazon and it's like having a pair of headlights mounted low. They do not fit perfect but helps a lot. Think about another set for the other truck.
  • Like 1

One poster noted that the Vosla bulbs may get dimmer over time, and in researching the company's datasheet, it is apparent they are not long-lasting bulbs. I'm keeping one of the 9011 bulbs I used previously in the truck in case I need to replace a burned out Vosla bulb on the road. Changing the driver's side bulb would be easy, but changing the passenger side bulb would be a lot harder (since the air box needs to be moved out the the way first). I'matching the level of illumination to see if the Vosla's are getting dimmer, but so far they are about the same as when the dealer installed them (three months ago).

Search Terms: GMC Sierra headlights, #PIT5374, Vosla 28432, weak headlights, headlight problems; SierraRover.

So true, I pulled my bulbs and they were yellowed badly.

after giving up on my headlights I went to the fogs. Replaced fog bulbs with starnill 5202 from amazon and it's like having a pair of headlights mounted low. They do not fit perfect but helps a lot. Think about another set for the other truck.

I did the same thing and with new bulbs that seems to help a lot at night.