Headlight Illumination Issues

On 2016 :

High-performance LED headlamps with LED signature standard on LTZ and High Country

Wonder it they changed the reflector design? If so, might be a solution for the upper trim older trucks?? So this will just help the ones with the projectors?

Hopefully they will be at least as good as the HID's in the 2016 lower chev trims.

"T4F NEW! Headlamps, high intensity discharge (HID) projector-beam with LED signature DRL"

I got a set of 9011s that are on the way, I kept reading that 9011s were a high beam only bulb that put out around 2400 lumens. I am experimenting with leds vs halogen for now so decided this route. Have my old 9012s, 9011s on the way, and 2 sets of LEDs (1 from Xenon depot, others are a 4000 LM 9006 style that have been disappointing but may need some adjusting)

The way LED sets come is that they are usually only projected from 2 diodes, I have even returned a set that were from 4 diodes that covered 360 degrees that style resulted in poor output. The 2 sets I have are better and are only from 2 sets of diodes. So I thought I would try the 9011 halogens because of the projector being made for halogens.

Edited by Jordan18

I had 9012's 9011's 8000lm LEDs 9000Lm LEDs all with various results.9011's seem to give the most distance.Starnill LEDs from amazon are the brightest. I am still using my aux add on lights in bad weather or on back roads that have no stripes. This setup for GMC looks good but unacceptable for headlamps IMO. With the aux lights I can see fine but not street legal. Deer rut will be starting soon so I will be using the aux lights a lot. I also had the upgrade with volsa's and seemed to be about the same as the 9011's.

On a side note, I just bought a new Mini Cooper, I have the factory LED light option and the car can some how manage to throw out more light with low beams than the Truck can with high beams. And it is a similar setup with an auto leveling projector so one light for high and low beams. The only thing that really surprised me was the heat sinks for the lights are huge and take up the whole rear of the lights. How did you folks HID or LED lights manage to keep the heat down?

Well just received a call from GM.. Their attitude, live with it, they are not willing to correct the problem! Way to go GM, living up to your reputation "General Mistake"! Spend 45,000 and have to lay out at least another $5K to add additional lighting. Not impressed!

Edited by rufous03

I can see 1,000 miles in front of me, but can't see 12" to either side with the high beams on. Living in a national forest, I like to be able to see what is coming up out of the ditches or wood lines. I've almost plowed into 3 or 4 deer since purchasing the truck in July. Also think that mine need to be re-aligned. With high beams on, both beams seem to be pointed up and to the left almost blending in together. I'm close to my first service and will see if they can re-align them then. Maybe that will help.

I can see 1,000 miles in front of me, but can't see 12" to either side with the high beams on. Living in a national forest, I like to be able to see what is coming up out of the ditches or wood lines. I've almost plowed into 3 or 4 deer since purchasing the truck in July. Also think that mine need to be re-aligned. With high beams on, both beams seem to be pointed up and to the left almost blending in together. I'm close to my first service and will see if they can re-align them then. Maybe that will help.

Same here in the Northeast about watching for critters on the side of the road. I am thinking of putting on a set of fog lights from PIAA I took off of my old Mini (PIAA 540) and putting in a 55 watt or higher bulb to force a brighter beam. Going to set it up for high beams and aim the lights higher. May not give me more light down the road but will at least get the ditches and road sides well lit.

Well just received a call from GM.. Their attitude, live with it, they are not willing to correct the problem! Way to go GM, living up to your reputation "General Mistake"! Spend 45,000 and have to lay out at least another $5K to add additional lighting. Not impressed!

5K for additional lighting! lol!!

What's wrong with the Vosla bulbs and ecu update?

I am having the TSB (PIT5374) done tomorrow at the local GMC dealer - new Vosla (German) 65 watt bulbs (presumably the Vosla 28077 65 watt halogen bulb, very similar to the 9011 65 watt bulbs, but without the need to modify the base to fit - that is a guess until I confirm it tomorrow). Plus reprogramming of the BCM computer module to allow higher voltage to the front headlights.

I had previously installed 65 watt Sylvania 9011's to replace the 55 watt stock 9012 bulbs. That was a major improvement for me. I just put the 9012s back in, so that is what the GMC shop will find.

I didn't go with HID aftermarket setups to save money and to avoid modifying the truck too much, and because I read horror stories about them not working as expected. I hope they work well for everyone who has them.

Overall, I think my 2014 Sierra 1500 is a great truck. I will report back if the TSB solution isn't at least as good as the 9011s (65 watts) that I learned about in the first place from this forum. I am skimming through this thread also, to get others' experiences.

Edited by SierraRover
  • Like 2

I am having the TSB (PIT5374) done tomorrow at the local GMC dealer - new Vosla (German) 65 watt bulbs (presumably the Vosla 28077 65 watt halogen bulb, very similar to the 9011 65 watt bulbs, but without the need to modify the base to fit - that is a guess until I confirm it tomorrow). Plus reprogramming of the BCM computer module to allow higher voltage to the front headlights.

I had previously installed 65 watt Sylvania 9011's to replace the 55 warr stock 9012 bulbs. That was a major improvement for me. I just put the 9012s back in, so that is what the GMC shop will find.

I didn't go with HID aftermarket setups to save money and to avoid modifying the truck too much, and because I read horror stories about them not working as expected. I hope they work well for everyone who has them.

Overall, I think my 2014 Sierra 1500 is a great truck. I will report back if the TSB solution isn't at least as good as the 9011s (65 watts) that I learned about in the first place from this forum.

Thanks for sharing

I had previously installed 65 watt Sylvania 9011's to replace the 55 watt stock 9012 bulbs. That was a major improvement for me. I just put the 9012s back in, so that is what the GMC shop will find.

Overall, I think my 2014 Sierra 1500 is a great truck. I will report back if the TSB solution isn't at least as good as the 9011s (65 watts) that I learned about in the first place from this forum. I am skimming through this thread also, to get others' experiences.

The tsb was a huge improvement on my truck. Interested to hear how it compares with your previous solution.

• Like 1

I am having the TSB (PIT5374) done tomorrow at the local GMC dealer - new Vosla (German) 65 watt bulbs (presumably the Vosla 28077 65 watt halogen bulb, very similar to the 9011 65 watt bulbs, but without the need to modify the base to fit - that is a guess until I confirm it tomorrow). Plus reprogramming of the BCM computer module to allow higher voltage to the front headlights

Looking at the TSB, it appears the replacement Vosla bulb that is part of the TSB fix is NOT the 28077 65 watt bulb, but rather the Vosla 28432 55 Watt bulb.

Would it be better to reinstall my 9011 65 bulbs?

5K for additional lighting! lol!!

What's wrong with the Vosla bulbs and ecu update?

Have you price aux lighting recently? least expensive Led light bars run $300-$700 plus installation,GM dealer sells them anywhere from $2000 to $5500 Plus installation. The Vosla bulbs and ECU update really did nothing, low beam might have improved a minor amount, high beams no noticeable difference. As I mentioned before , I have tried LED bulbs from zenondepot great improvement on low beam, but a waste of money when you go high beam, basically didn't work, IMHO I think it is GM's design of the projector assembly itself. I did not want to go this route, but it looks as the only way to get adequate lighting is to install KC lights on a Bull Bar at a cost of approx. $1000. LED light bars are not legal for highway driving I am told, and I really can not see them giving good distance lighting. If anyone has experience with the light bars, I would appreciate hearing your opinion as to how they work.

Edited by rufous03