Headlight Illumination Issues

Just had the new update, lighting still inadequate. Unsuccessful at trying to access/obtain aftermarket bulbs. Would seem no one makes a replacement 9012 bulb. ( at least one that is available in Canada) :nonod:

9011's with some trimming will help.

They seem to be equally has difficult to find, I thought some said 9006 worked.

Only 55 watts. 9011's are 65 watts.Added extra led aux. lights to my trucks to make it safe to drive at night. Her Durango lights up everything ! Edited by WLC

The 9011 and 9012s I added in my 05 were an improvement over the 100 watt 9005 and 80 watt 9006s I had. Better spread and more even light. I would just do a quick online search and get some Phillips 9011s to try. You likely will not find them in an auto parts store.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

I replaced my low beams with a kit from GTR Lighting plug and play style no cutting. They were so good I did my reverse and fog lights. I can say there not cheep! But we all no the good stuff is not cheep and the cheep stuff is not good. We have a dealer here who gives a good warranty with these check them out. GTR Lightning. Com

Best way to solve the lighting issue on the Sierra is to do what I did... Trade it for a Silverado. SIGNIFICANT difference in the headlight wash on the road and into the shoulders. Much better. My headlight aim is off just slightly on the passenger side (I think). I'll ask the dealer to check it next week when it goes back to have the Line-X liner done.

Sierra for Silverado? It ain't happening jack.. The Sierra is a better looking truck. I like my lights and have no problems. With the right bulbs, BCM update, and properly set I find them good enough for me. Plus I don't like headlights as DRL's and much prefer the LED's on my Sierra. You must've took a beating on a trade just to get different headlights. You would've been better off just getting Anzo's if that's the case. I know some who are running the Anzo's and say the projectors works great.

Sierra for Silverado? It ain't happening jack.. The Sierra is a better looking truck. I like my lights and have no problems. With the right bulbs, BCM update, and properly set I find them good enough for me. Plus I don't like headlights as DRL's and much prefer the LED's on my Sierra. You must've took a beating on a trade just to get different headlights. You would've been better off just getting Anzo's if that's the case. I know some who are running the Anzo's and say the projectors works great.

Never said I traded to get different headlights - bad assumption.

Didn't take a beating on the trade at all - bad assumption.

Sierra SLE - DRLs -are- the headlights - bad assumption.

I like the front end look of the Sierra better, prefer the red dash lighting of the Sierra over the blue of the Silverado as well. Needed to "change" other features, and there were NO Sierras in the area with the 20% off. Took the big Chevy incentives PLUS a private offer of $1500 and made out just fine.

The lights on the Sierra are not "good enough" for me as I live in a very rural area. They are absolutely sub-standard, even after the BCM update and the Vosla bulb swap.

Best way to solve the lighting issue on the Sierra is to do what I did... Trade it for a Silverado. SIGNIFICANT difference in the headlight wash on the road and into the shoulders. Much better. My headlight aim is off just slightly on the passenger side (I think). I'll ask the dealer to check it next week when it goes back to have the Line-X liner done.

Not a chance of me doing that!

(1) too expensive , I am not Donald Trump

(2) I prefer the Sierra for several reasons ( lighting is the only complaint)

(3) IMHO it is up to GM to step up to the plate and resolve the issue. From the research I have done I find it is not the bulb that is the problem, but the projector assembly. There are NO aftermarket lights that will provide more distant illumination or a better pattern,, All though various manufacturers "Claim" to increase lighting by 30% or more, they are not giving the consumer the real truth. Their bulbs may be a different color and that will have an effect of brightness, but not give you more light on the road, apparently the only thing that will give you more distance is a different style reflector. From consumer reports.org "Manufacturers of high-priced headlight bulbs are touting brighter light and greater visibility down the road, which is alluring for drivers, but are they much different than standard bulbs? We put eight models of premium bulbs to the test to see how bright and how far they shine.

The $20-$80 premium replacement bulbs from GE, Hella, Phillips, PIAA, and Sylvania were tested in our labs and at the track and compared to standard, cheaper bulbs and the factory bulbs in our 2012 Hyundai Accent and Volkswagen Passat test cars. Our tests revealed that the aftermarket replacements generate a whiter light than the basic bulbs, but they didn't help us see farther in the distance. That is because distance is determined by the shape and size of the reflector or lens in the lamp, not the bulb.

If you just like the stronger white light and don't care about better visibility, then premium bulbs are for you. If your headlight lenses are dull and hazy, the reason could be dirt and oxidation, which can easily be fixed by a headlight restoration kit"

I personally intend on being a pain in GM's ass until this is resolved, suggest many more to do the same.

• Like 2

Not a chance of me doing that!

(1) too expensive , I am not Donald Trump

(2) I prefer the Sierra for several reasons ( lighting is the only complaint)

(3) IMHO it is up to GM to step up to the plate and resolve the issue. From the research I have done I find it is not the bulb that is the problem, but the projector assembly. There are NO aftermarket lights that will provide more distant illumination or a better pattern,, All though various manufacturers "Claim" to increase lighting by 30% or more, they are not giving the consumer the real truth. Their bulbs may be a different color and that will have an effect of brightness, but not give you more light on the road, apparently the only thing that will give you more distance is a different style reflector. From consumer reports.org "Manufacturers of high-priced headlight bulbs are touting brighter light and greater visibility down the road, which is alluring for drivers, but are they much different than standard bulbs? We put eight models of premium bulbs to the test to see how bright and how far they shine.

The $20-$80 premium replacement bulbs from GE, Hella, Phillips, PIAA, and Sylvania were tested in our labs and at the track and compared to standard, cheaper bulbs and the factory bulbs in our 2012 Hyundai Accent and Volkswagen Passat test cars. Our tests revealed that the aftermarket replacements generate a whiter light than the basic bulbs, but they didn't help us see farther in the distance. That is because distance is determined by the shape and size of the reflector or lens in the lamp, not the bulb.

If you just like the stronger white light and don't care about better visibility, then premium bulbs are for you. If your headlight lenses are dull and hazy, the reason could be dirt and oxidation, which can easily be fixed by a headlight restoration kit"

I personally intend on being a pain in GM's ass until this is resolved, suggest many more to do the same.

How about your radio? Oh i see you have a 15. Maybe yours is fine? Edited by WLC

How about your radio? Oh i see you have a 15. Maybe yours is fine?

No problems with the radio....yet! Not impressed with On-Star phone, has a difficult time understanding commands, and it always repeats everything. ."calling, using on-start hands free calling" Like I don't know its using On-star hands free calling!

• Like 1

Never said I traded to get different headlights - bad assumption.

Didn't take a beating on the trade at all - bad assumption.

Sierra SLE - DRLs -are- the headlights - bad assumption.

I like the front end look of the Sierra better, prefer the red dash lighting of the Sierra over the blue of the Silverado as well. Needed to "change" other features, and there were NO Sierras in the area with the 20% off. Took the big Chevy incentives PLUS a private offer of $1500 and made out just fine.

The lights on the Sierra are not "good enough" for me as I live in a very rural area. They are absolutely sub-standard, even after the BCM update and the Vosla bulb swap.

Best way to solve the lighting issue on the Sierra is to do what I did... Trade it for a Silverado;

I don't have a lighting issue so I won't be trading for a Silverado. If I did have a lighting issue I'd get a set of Anzo's or add the Morimoto HID reflector kit and not trade for a Silverado to solve the lighting issue. A co-worker had his BCM updated to 14V, added 9005 Sylvania Silver Star Ultra bulbs (slight trimming on one tab) which are 65w instead of 55w. I rode in his truck and the down road and side visibility were substantially improved over stock.

DRL's are the headlights on the SLE unless you change them to the SLT lights and add a harness.

Headlights on Silverado are DRL's - no assumption. That's the fact Jack. The 2016 Silverado will have LED's for DRL's but that will probably only be on the LTZ.

If you're happy with you're Silverado then so be it and props to you.

Projectors should not come with halogens to begin with in my opinion, they are just too weak of a light.

I am trialing these chinese specials plug and play LED lights before I decide to move on any HID kits because I am lazy and HIDs seem like a lot of work and money for ~600 more lumens than these lights in the pic.

Have you got the LED bulbs installed yet?

Have you got the LED bulbs installed yet?

They are better than stock but still a bit weak distance wise. Spread is improved for sure the the colour of the led is superior to the halogen for sure so that also adds to it.

Bunch of guys in this thread tried them as well. About page 30 onward

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/156233-halogen-led-headlight-bulb-upgrades/page-37

Just ordered some LED bulbs from LED Headlights Pro http://www.ledheadlightspro.com/9012/9012-single-beam-full-led-headlights-kit/ Previously mentioned LED Lights not available in Canada :( they say 5000 lumens at 45 watts, I will post the results when I get them... 100% satisfaction guarantee , so we will see!..... Not Chinese..made in Germany