Headlight Illumination Issues

As said, 2 10 cent 1 amp diodes remedies that problem. My high beams on that old heap are the highs, lows and fogs.

The new design makes zero difference.... it's one light in a projector. The best you could do is jumper in the fog lights but I am guessing your lighting would still be subpar at best. Hids help lol. 2 of my trucks have oem HIDS and I have a hard time driving the 05 anymore lol.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

By new design I meant GM's "New" projector design, Did you get HID's to work in a 2015 Sierra? The dealer has had problems trying to get HID's to work, they even had the manufacturer attempt to get them to work in the customer's truck, no luck, apparently kept burning out the lamps and ballast.

Is it really that serious for some people? Granted I have a 2015 and live in the city but I dont really see an issue with illumination from mine. The only thing I hate is that they are yellowish and dont match the factory LED strips but I will fix that soon with some 5k HIDs or LEDs.

Is yours new enough that it already has the upgrade done?

Mine was built in late Oct/14.

We found the upgrade to be significant when driven in the country, without other traffic or roadside lighting. In town/city driving I find it difficult to tell the difference.

Don't hold your breath, 2015 Sierra is just as bad if not worse!

Early 15MY production should be the same as 14MY. Trucks produced after Jan 15 have the updated bulbs and revised programming.

Early 15MY production should be the same as 14MY. Trucks produced after Jan 15 have the updated bulbs and revised programming.

Yep updated bulbs and programming ...No difference, still crappy.

Edited by rufous03

Just go to Radio Shack and buy a Diode and jump the two circuits allowing power to the driving lights when high beams are selected.

You will need be a bit more specific, what type of Diode and exactly how would one jumper the two lights, I am Not an electrical genius!

New build trucks come with the updated BCM but still have Phillips bulbs in them

Just had the new update, lighting still inadequate. Unsuccessful at trying to access/obtain aftermarket bulbs. Would seem no one makes a replacement 9012 bulb. ( at least one that is available in Canada) :nonod:

Oh man if you are not familiar with electron flow and using OHMs law I would not feel comfortable trying to tell someone in fear something could go wrong.

I will say Google is your friend and a diode is a simple "Gate" if you will that allows positive potential to flow is only one direction.

You will need be a bit more specific, what type of Diode and exactly how would one jumper the two lights, I am Not an electrical genius!

Oh man if you are not familiar with electron flow and using OHMs law I would not feel comfortable trying to tell someone in fear something could go wrong.

I will say Google is your friend and a diode is a simple "Gate" if you will that allows positive potential to flow is only one direction.

I do have a basic understanding of electronics, but diodes are available in several sizes and forms, Zener for example comes to mind, Haven't played with electronics for 30 + years, but I believe I need to know the value, how many amps etc. Assuming it will be 12V

You wouldn't want a Zener diode as it is nothing more than a inverter. In that I mean based upon properties of a Zener circuit it convert over voltage to ground and then you would pop fuses in your truck. A regular diode with the the diode set with the anode side facing the high beams and the cathode side facing the fog light circuit would allow positive potential to flow from the high beam to the fog lights but would not allow the potential to flow if only using the fog lights but would mean that your fog lights would always be on when high beams are selected.

I do have a basic understanding of electronics, but diodes are available in several sizes and forms, Zener for example comes to mind, Haven't played with electronics for 30 + years, but I believe I need to know the value, how many amps etc. Assuming it will be 12V

You wouldn't want a Zener diode as it is nothing more than a inverter. In that I mean based upon properties of a Zener circuit it convert over voltage to ground and then you would pop fuses in your truck. A regular diode with the the diode set with the anode side facing the high beams and the cathode side facing the fog light circuit would allow positive potential to flow from the high beam to the fog lights but would not allow the potential to flow if only using the fog lights but would mean that your fog lights would always be on when high beams are selected.

Thanks, I will give it a shot.