Headlight Illumination Issues

Tyler, I've called them dangerous from the first time I turned them on. Because they are. I have compared them to the 70-80's sealed beam headlights of years past, and I stand by that assessment. Except they are worse than even those because in stock trim, they don't light the side at all, and on high they point to the sky. Fact, not fiction.

I don't know the facts on DOT approval, however my guess is that they are worried more about too much light, and if a manufacturer wants to put candles on the front of their truck, ohh well., have fun.

I can say with confidence, that the first time I drove my 14 at night through the hills on the same road I've traveled thousands of times, I couldn't believe I had to slow down where I normally would never have, because I couldn't see anything but right in front of the truck, and very poorly lit at that. So I go to high-beam to try and see, nothing. HID bulbs have bandaided the lights so I can see now, but the aiming problems still exist.

GM really screwed up on these period. Waiting for the aftermarket or a new '15 or '16 change, or god willing, a great dealer that will help me fix these once and for all (he's trying).

And let me also say, that this '14 is a hands down amazing truck, I love it.

It is possible, that some of our trucks are different than the others, and hence a lot of complaints, but also others that don't seem to have a problem. Time will tell.

Don't hold your breath, 2015 Sierra is just as bad if not worse!

How have these LED's worked out for you? I'm pretty much in the same boat as you about installing HIDs. If you have any pictures please post them!

Are those from xenondepot? http://www.xenondepot.com/9012-LED-headlight-kit-p/9012-led-hl.htm

Yes they are, I just got around to installing them yesterday. First night out I realized something was off, the spread was all over the place, but I read up on them and realized I had the diode directions in the "12 o clock and 6 o clock" when they should have been 9 oclock and 3 oclock. Reading some more reviews on that page, bunch of folks putting them in their sierras with good success and happy with the light output.

Even with the diodes screwed, they were a hair better than the halogens...lol

Now I have to wait until tonight to try as I only had fixed them this morning.

Edited by Jordan18

How have these LED's worked out for you? I'm pretty much in the same boat as you about installing HIDs. If you have any pictures please post them!

Are those from xenondepot? http://www.xenondepot.com/9012-LED-headlight-kit-p/9012-led-hl.htm

After aligning them they are better, but something still seems off about them as the cutoff is quite bad and the bright shutters really don't do a whole lot, but better than stock on side illumination for sure.

Still doing some digging.

Mine is going in for the TSB today, hope for some improvement. Really hope they install them correctly and not do any damage to the truck while installing, just hate taking to dealer, wish I could do the install myself.

I had the TSB done a few weeks ago. The tech did a good job, no damage and installed correctly. I didn't think the headlights were that bad to begin with, but I noticed a slight improvement with the new bulbs.

Mine is going in for the TSB today, hope for some improvement. Really hope they install them correctly and not do any damage to the truck while installing, just hate taking to dealer, wish I could do the install myself.

Seems that the most likely two issues to occur are the airbox not being secured properly after the passenger side light is swapped and the tech being ham-fisted or something and not seating the bulbs properly in the sockets before installing into the housing. Former is easy to check by lifting the hood and trying to move the airbox, latter is easy to tell at night if the lights are WORSE than before.

• Like 1

Is it really that serious for some people? Granted I have a 2015 and live in the city but I dont really see an issue with illumination from mine. The only thing I hate is that they are yellowish and dont match the factory LED strips but I will fix that soon with some 5k HIDs or LEDs.

Is it really that serious for some people? Granted I have a 2015 and live in the city but I dont really see an issue with illumination from mine. The only thing I hate is that they are yellowish and dont match the factory LED strips but I will fix that soon with some 5k HIDs or LEDs.

It really is that bad for dark and hilly rural area. Not bad in town. The warm lamps, at least for me, are essential due to the fog and haze that we have. Bluish/white lamps tend to reflect their illumination into the eyes under such conditions.

Well GM called me today re my complaint, like talking to a brick wall. I have had their " update" done, not much improvement they suggested taking it back to the dealer to which I responded, " what the hell good is that, it's a GM design flaw and until you people understand that, nothing can be done. Why the hell would you design headlights without some sort of adjustment possible When you adjust the low beams you also adjust the high beam, and no side to side adjustment" To which she replied they may correct that in the newer models! Go figure, if I want half decent lighting I have to fork out another $50K and get a 2016 which is no guarantee that those lights will be adequate either. I also suggested that they have one of their design engineers visit the dealership and I will take him/her for a night time drive also suggested that they bring a change of underwear. I also spoke with Philips lighting the manufacturer of the 9012 bulbs GM uses, they do not make a better replacement bulb, apparently aftermarket lighting does not work in the projector lights on the GM 2015 Sierra. I also spoke with another owner who paid extra for the GM HID lights, he said and I quote, not very good, not even close to the HID lights on his Mercedes. The dealer has had nothing but problems trying to get aftermarket HID kits to work and does not recommend them at this time. So I guess folks we are screwed. Thank you GM!

If you drove a curving road with no painted lines and it was raining and the whitetails were in season you would want better lights!

Dealer installed per TSB, all looks good, no damage. Air box installed and secure, drivers bulb installed in the 3 tabs properly. Can only assume passenger side as well. Have not had it out yet (picked up yesterday). By the previous posts, I am probably not going to see much improvement. Will try out tonight. WLC, I too live in a similar area here in upstate NY, no lines on some roads and lots of deer crossing, add rain and it's not fun.

We work in the middle of nowhere so there is no light pollution and it's just bush, animals and darkness. The company I contract too easily buys probably 1000 of these trucks a year or maybe more. They exclusively bought Sierras as reasonably nicely appointed Z71 SLE crews and extended cabs. The safety department after all the complaining, the tsbs from gm, and whatever else.... cited the lights in these trucks inadequate and switched to buying Chevrolet models to get the quad lights.... Nobody complained with the 07 to 13 Sierras as a comparison.

Sure they are adding led in 2016 but what's the chances of it being offered on anything other than loaded SLTS and Denalis.

I run 9011 and 9012 bulbs in my old 05 but they work fine with all 4 on for high beam.

You think GM would do something considering they build one truck that has decent lights and one that does not.

Edited by 1994Vmax

I run 9011 and 9012 bulbs in my old 05 but they work fine with all 4 on for high beam.

The only way you can get all four on is to hold the dimmer switch up all the time, another stupid design flaw, but I agree with all four lights on lighting is the way it should be for rural roads and mountain roads Perhaps if GM kept the driving light active when high beams were on it might help with their newer crappy design

Edited by rufous03

Just go to Radio Shack and buy a Diode and jump the two circuits allowing power to the driving lights when high beams are selected.

The only way you can get all four on is to hold the dimmer switch up all the time, another stupid design flaw, but I agree with all four lights on lighting is the way it should be for rural roads and mountain roads Perhaps if GM kept the driving light active when high beams were on it might help with their newer crappy design

Edited by Go Ordnance.

As said, 2 10 cent 1 amp diodes remedies that problem. My high beams on that old heap are the highs, lows and fogs.

The new design makes zero difference.... it's one light in a projector. The best you could do is jumper in the fog lights but I am guessing your lighting would still be subpar at best. Hids help lol. 2 of my trucks have oem HIDS and I have a hard time driving the 05 anymore lol.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Edited by 1994Vmax