Headlight Illumination Issues

well, I just got my new Sierra and I can honestly say GM did not do their homework very well when it comes to their headlights, Why would they design a $50K vehicle with absolutely NO adjustment for the high beam it is directly tied to low beam adjustment so my first trip back to service was to have the adjustment checked as low beam was high and high beam was great if you wanted to see low flying birds. So GM ordered a "new" light that was supposed to resolve the problem, it was better, but still seeing tree tops with high beam. Projector lights IMHO suck. Not what one wants for driving rural roads or mountain roads at night. I would love to take on of these "engineers" that design this crap out for a real road test. I guarantee they would have to change their pants when they came back

You have projector bulbs - that's how they work. This isn't a GM design, it's a bulb design.

The bulb has one illumination "state" and there's a sort of "shade" to reduce the total amount of light output on the upper part of the beam for Low Beam mode. HIDs would be much better.

I have been wanting to try and take advantage of one of the big incentive programs to trade my fairly new Double Cab for a Crew Cab, but I'm seriously considering trading for a Chevy to get the better lights (and nicer rims).

• Like 2

You have projector bulbs - that's how they work. This isn't a GM design, it's a bulb design.

The bulb has one illumination "state" and there's a sort of "shade" to reduce the total amount of light output on the upper part of the beam for Low Beam mode. HIDs would be much better.

I have been wanting to try and take advantage of one of the big incentive programs to trade my fairly new Double Cab for a Crew Cab, but I'm seriously considering trading for a Chevy to get the better lights (and nicer rims).

Perhaps GM did not design the bulb, but they designed the light that uses them. Their replacement bulb is better, but still not satisfactory. I blame GM for their design, just plain stupid. Don't they ever test before they decide to change. HID would be nice, but too expensive.

Perhaps GM did not design the bulb, but they designed the light that uses them. Their replacement bulb is better, but still not satisfactory. I blame GM for their design, just plain stupid. Don't they ever test before they decide to change. HID would be nice, but too expensive.

Funny I have no issues with the lights now since the update/upgrade was done. I don't even use the fog lights anymore for extra light.

• Like 1

Funny I have no issues with the lights now since the update/upgrade was done. I don't even use the fog lights anymore for extra light.

I guess it depends on when and where you drive, I find lighting is good for perhaps 30-40 Kmph, but at 80-100 forget it for mountain driving or prairie driving, by the time you see an animal on the road it's way too late. Of course there are those that wouldn't know the difference because they drive in the city at night without headlights and not know the difference. GM just re checked them again this morning, low beam is OK, high beams are high and to the left. HID conversions were not recommended as they have had too many issues with trying to get them to work in 2015 model year

Here's something I'm wondering... How can you tell whether the bulbs are properly seated or not? Aside from poor light quality. I noticed a big improvement when they performed the work and bulb swap on mine, but I'm not convinced that the bulbs are in perfectly as there are "waves" of light and dark areas that I can see across the wash pattern of the light. I'd like to be able to visually inspect the bulbs, KNOWING what I'm looking for, and determine if I need to re-seat them or not.

Does anyone have pics that show an improperly installed bulb in the socket / housing? And one that's correct for comparison?

Here's something I'm wondering... How can you tell whether the bulbs are properly seated or not? Aside from poor light quality. I noticed a big improvement when they performed the work and bulb swap on mine, but I'm not convinced that the bulbs are in perfectly as there are "waves" of light and dark areas that I can see across the wash pattern of the light. I'd like to be able to visually inspect the bulbs, KNOWING what I'm looking for, and determine if I need to re-seat them or not.

Does anyone have pics that show an improperly installed bulb in the socket / housing? And one that's correct for comparison?

I will take some pictures shortly and post later.

I will take some pictures shortly and post later.

Appreciate it. Just took a cursory look at the driver's side and am now wondering what "tabs" people are referring to... Is it the tabs on the socket that go into the housing on the lamp, or something to do with seating the bulb itself in the socket?

Mine appear to be installed and seated well, but I really have no idea what I'm looking for. And I know that what I see for variation in amounts of light through the whole wash will never show up in a picture.

First, turn the bulb counterclockwise as if you would be removing it until all 3 black plastic tabs on the bulb are showing and the bulb is loose. Illustration #1

Turn bulb clockwise until it stops and be sure all 3 black tabs are under the metal spring clips. #2

Illustration #3 shows an improper seated bulb as the black plastic bulb tab is over the spring clip and not under it. Check all 3 plastic tabs to be sure they are under the spring clips. Also be sure the bulb is turned clockwise until it stops.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

• Like 1

mafd2: Thanks for posting that up.

I was originally believing that the issue with improper seating was directly related to the bulb in the socket. I now realize that the issue (which I immediately suspected when I removed the driver's side bulb) has to do with the three tabs of the -socket- seating properly into the lamp assembly.

The good news is that mine are seated properly. The bad news is that the lights do not throw an even light across the entire wash. There are definitely "cool" spots in the way the light is projected.

I bought the DC because of the killer cash back promo that was available, but I've always preferred the CC model. With the 6'6" bed, hard-fold tonneaus ALL suck, and I've been talking with my dealer about ways to swap up to a CC with the 5'8" bed and actually be able to get a hard-fold tonneau that's designed properly for the size of the bed. I have been intending to stick with the Sierra, but now I'm thinking I'll swap over to a Silvy just to get the better headlights (plus I'll step the trim level up from where I am anyhow, and I'll really only be "giving up" the metal trim pieces on the dash compared to the chromed plastic stuff).

well, I just got my new Sierra and I can honestly say GM did not do their homework very well when it comes to their headlights, Why would they design a $50K vehicle with absolutely NO adjustment for the high beam it is directly tied to low beam adjustment so my first trip back to service was to have the adjustment checked as low beam was high and high beam was great if you wanted to see low flying birds. So GM ordered a "new" light that was supposed to resolve the problem, it was better, but still seeing tree tops with high beam. Projector lights IMHO suck. Not what one wants for driving rural roads or mountain roads at night. I would love to take on of these "engineers" that design this crap out for a real road test. I guarantee they would have to change their pants when they came back

Projectors should not come with halogens to begin with in my opinion, they are just too weak of a light.

I am trialing these chinese specials plug and play LED lights before I decide to move on any HID kits because I am lazy and HIDs seem like a lot of work and money for ~600 more lumens than these lights in the pic.

post-79641-0-84081100-1438832795_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jordan18

Yeah I love the Chevy Lights. I wish GMC would of done some thing similar.

Ditto.

haven't driven the Silverado, so I can not comment, however for those that promote the HID aftermarket lights, my GM dealer refuses to install any of these kits anymore stating that a few have worked Ok, but the majority have failed they have even had the manufacturer of one brand attend their shop to see if they could get the lights to work on a 2015 Sierra without success. Based upon that and the number of people here that have similar complaints about these "designer" headlights for the lack of a better description, GM has a problem they need to address quickly. By the way the headlights on the 2014 Terrain are just as bad. GM is aware of the problem as they have a service bulletin where a replacement bulb has been provided to "rectify" the problem which it doesn't!

• Like 1

Projectors should not come with halogens to begin with in my opinion, they are just too weak of a light.

I am trialing these chinese specials plug and play LED lights before I decide to move on any HID kits because I am lazy and HIDs seem like a lot of work and money for ~600 more lumens than these lights in the pic.

How have these LED's worked out for you? I'm pretty much in the same boat as you about installing HIDs. If you have any pictures please post them!

Are those from xenondepot? http://www.xenondepot.com/9012-LED-headlight-kit-p/9012-led-hl.htm