Headlight Illumination Issues

So, after being very unsatisfied with the answer I got from dealer #1, I took it to dealer #2. Extremely different treatment. They looked up my build date, saw that I qualified for this update and took care of me that day since they had the bulbs in stock. I took it out that night and it is definitely a significant difference. I'd say it went from "unsafe" to "acceptable".

• Like 2

Yea! Go in for my upgrade next week. Will keep my 9011's and hand them the 9012's. Will give my opinion if the upgrade is better than 9011's.Will try vosla verses 9011's side by side. Will post the results.

• Like 1

Sorry, Guys if I am butting in here. But last night was the first time that I drove in the dark with my new 2015 Sierra. After reading all the complaints about the light the projector headlights give off, I didn't know what to expect. Actually I was a little surprised, they were better than I thought they were going to be. But they definitely could be better. The headlights in my 2005 GMC were better than this 2015.

But my big issue with the projectors, is the poor side lighting. It's very hard to see where you are going when making a turn (especially to the right), such as, into a narrow alley, a driveway, a parking spot maybe, whatever. You are basically turning into a black hole. Also I live in a rural area, so you never know when a moose, deer or elk, is going to come out of the ditch at you.

Now I am thinking of what I should add for lights, to shine more light to the sides of the truck.

Exactly what has been said all along. My truck may have been the first to have the Volsa bulbs/BCM reflash performed; and yes straight ahead lighting and distant side road is much improved. However immediate side lighting necessary for turning on to an unlit side road or driveway to me is basically unchanged. Almost like the projector need something like a wide angle lens in addition to a distance lens???? Bi-focals? Don't think I'll ever be completely satisified.

• Like 1

Are the bulbs to blame? Is it projector bulb lighting in general? What about a way to add some sort of turning light?

I, too, feel the void of little-to-no lighting to the side when turning at night. I live in a rural area, and there are no street lights. There's plenty of wildlife, though. And that includes larger animals like deer that I have a hard time seeing with these bulbs (and I have the Voslas in there now). I'll be sure to tell my insurance company that the REASON I couldn't see the deer and did thousands worth of damage was because of a poor design. I'm sure they'll be thrilled to chase GM's insurance to recover the costs of repairing my truck.

:)

Highest end Escalade has a feature that detects vehicle is turning and projects additional lighting to the side. Forgot what they call it I posted about it somewhere on the forum, go the Cadillac site, it's on there.

Highest end Escalade has a feature that detects vehicle is turning and projects additional lighting to the side. Forgot what they call it I posted about it somewhere on the forum, go the Cadillac site, it's on there.

They're cornering lights (turning lights) that come on when the wheels are turned - absolutely nothing fancy. Truthfully, I think that merely detecting wheel position (likely steering wheel position) is a poor way to do it since it does NOT encourage the use of blinkers to get them to come on. In fact, I'd be quite happy with cornering lamps that come on with the directional signal like they did over two decades ago.

Then again... Every vehicle I've owned over the last ten years plus that had projector beam lights (Maxima, TL (2), Flex (2), Explorer) didn't have cornering lamps and I never had an issue with visibility to the side.

Look at most other cars which are using projectors, and there is an internal mirror-like reflector on the grill side of the headlamp wall. Ours is frosted. I think that is why we have the problem. Obviously, I'm speculating. But, look around and ya'll will see what I mean.

In the meantime, check out these links:

LEDs for corner lamps:

http://www.smartlites.com/?i=4

http://www.stylintrucks.com/parts/kc_hilites_utility_led_universal_turn_signal_light/1104000048_KCHTU57073.aspx

But, to make all of this automatic, you might want to add a delay module. Why? Feed voltage from the blinker circuit to the corner lamps above. Since the voltage is winking, you want a delay module so that the corner lamps remain lit. After about two seconds, after the direction lamp voltage stops, the delay modules kills the voltage going to the corner lamps. Delay module:

http://www.alliedelec.com/amperite-12d-1-10sstb/70200200/

And no, I'm not in the mood to take on this project, but it should work. Just getting too old.

Edited by lrymal

ACI led lighting is what I have been using in rural areas and for seeing to turn. Deer do not like them.Used the license plate mount and a remote with a 12 volt relay straight off the battery.(no holes in firewall) EBay has the relays.

I will say that the projector beam problem is not relegated to GM only. Most new vehicles running this design suffer from poor alumination. My last 2 Rams had projector beam headlights, and they were plain scary at night. Horrid visibility. I upgraded both of them to an HID retrofit and the difference was night and day (pun intended). The projectors also suffer from poor side illumination due to the focused beam design. Standard lights employ a reflective "scatter" shield which sends light in every direction. Great for the driver, but sucky for all oncoming traffic. You also can't focus the light where you want it with this design. It's a shotgun approach. Projectors allow a more focused beam, but you can't always have your cake and eat it too.

If I had projectors on my Rally I would definitely do an HID retrofit again though. Well worth it.

Edited by Alter Ego Trip

Sorry, Guys if I am butting in here. But last night was the first time that I drove in the dark with my new 2015 Sierra. After reading all the complaints about the light the projector headlights give off, I didn't know what to expect. Actually I was a little surprised, they were better than I thought they were going to be. But they definitely could be better. The headlights in my 2005 GMC were better than this 2015.

But my big issue with the projectors, is the poor side lighting. It's very hard to see where you are going when making a turn (especially to the right), such as, into a narrow alley, a driveway, a parking spot maybe, whatever. You are basically turning into a black hole. Also I live in a rural area, so you never know when a moose, deer or elk, is going to come out of the ditch at you.

Now I am thinking of what I should add for lights, to shine more light to the sides of the truck.

Still waiting for my headlight upgrade from the dealer, iI installed these in my foglight housings, problem solved. Part number 270016.

http://www.putco.com/products.cfm?action=ProductView&Product=c43bd689-1372-636c-dd3f-59c6f4e8983b&category=2d6754bd-9be8-c408-ae66-fd8037d1078d&Search=1

Still waiting for my headlight upgrade from the dealer, iI installed these in my foglight housings, problem solved. Part number 270016.

http://www.putco.com/products.cfm?action=ProductView&Product=c43bd689-1372-636c-dd3f-59c6f4e8983b&category=2d6754bd-9be8-c408-ae66-fd8037d1078d&Search=1

What the crap is that?! Does that whole ribbon light up? Never seen anything like it. Is it much brighter than the stock fog bulb?

What the crap is that?! Does that whole ribbon light up? Never seen anything like it. Is it much brighter than the stock fog bulb?

Those are LED headlights. The copper cloth straps are heat sinks for cooling and take the place of the cooling fan. These bulbs put out extreme heat. The heat will be intense in a small fog housing. The area in a fog housing is small and not like a headlight housing that has a larger cubic air space and more ventilation. Also the bulb is close to the lens on the H16 fog housing. There are many other LED and Halogen options for the fogs. Not sure I would put high heat headlight designed bulbs in those housings. That's just my opinion.

Edited by mafd2

Those are LED headlights. The copper cloth straps are heat sinks for cooling and take the place of the cooling fan. These bulbs put out extreme heat. The heat will be intense in a small fog housing. The area in a fog housing is small and not like a headlight housing that has a larger cubic air space and more ventilation. Also the bulb is close to the lens on the H16 fog housing. There are many other LED and Halogen options for the fogs. Not sure I would put high heat headlight designed bulbs in those housings. That's just my opinion.

Yeah, I've melted headlights before... that was an expensive mistake. I can't imagine how easy it'd be to melt a tiny fog light housing.

I am pleased to report that Putco Nite Lux LED lights will not melt your stock foglamp housings. The color temp is in the in the 6k range. They wash out the stock headlights when they're on. They light the side of the road. They light street signs from farther away than any headlamp I've ever used. They are not DOT approved.

I do not get flashed by divers in the opposite lane.