Headlight Illumination Issues

All this is news to me, but I guess at seventy years old I'm home at night, didn't know my 2014 truck had lights, think I go out tonight and turn them on and see if they work.............maybe since Alabama is not playing today...........and maybe I won't not gonna drive at night any way..........oh to be young and know what you kids are talking about all these diff. light bulbs to change out.......makes my head spin.........

Myunclepapa you should be fine driving your Chevy at night......it those like me with a 14 Sierra with the crappy headlights.

• Like 1

They do suck big time my 77 vette has better lighting they are working on a fix for them I've seen the emails to my dealership it's just a matter of time so call customer care and voice your concerns grease the wheel in the mean time I did a 30" led so I could see something at night

Yup, my dealer said same thing. However, I won't wait, if/when I can do an exchange with FXR's, will do it.

I've got a 2014 Sierra SLE with Projector bulbs, and I don't seem to be having the same issues you all do. Because I've been watching this thread, I've been particularly conscious of it at night, and I must say, my lights work ok for me. I've mostly had them in city driving, but the few times I've been on dark country roads, I don't have issues on either low or high.

Guess I got lucky?

For me it's a distance issue. There's a distinct cutoff about 5-6 car lengths ahead of me where there's no lighting projecting further. With the old halogens I had you would still have light projecting further to give you at least an opportunity to observe movement or reflecting eyes ahead. You don't see it so much in city driving but on dark, poorly lit streets or country roads. I also don't feel like I have enough light off to the corners. When I want to make a turn into an area there's not much corner lighting so I'm never really sure what I'm going to encounter. I've had to get out more than once just to visualize the right side.

• 2 weeks later...

The GMC projector lights are hands down the worst lights I've ever had. I've had them all, you name it. They do not broad cast wide enough. I will be doing a retrofit when time allows because I drive at night in the middle of no where.

• Like 3

The GMC projector lights are hands down the worst lights I've ever had. I've had them all, you name it. They do not broad cast wide enough. I will be doing a retrofit when time allows because I drive at night in the middle of no where.

I just adjusted mine a week ago. Give them a full turn counter clockwise (UP) with a Phillips Screwdriver and it does make them much better for seeing on dims. Just open the hood and look for a hole directly above the each of the headlights, there is a white plastic adjustment screw. I parked mine in front of the barn, and it lifted the cut-off enough to give me a lot more range on dims. I haven't had anyone flash me their bright lights yet, so I'm thinking they will be fine at that setting.

This is the best alternative I can find currently, until someone comes out with something better than the market currently has. My only regret, was I wish I had done this a year ago, and certainly before my trip out West 2 months ago.

At least now I can see a deer in the ditch! And it gives me a little more time and distance to react.

I would try this in the meantime, it only takes a few seconds. Anything is better than the stock setting and lights.

Edited by Ventilator

Put me down on the very poor lights side. As we live in the country, we drive a dark two lane. Has a Speed limit 45-50 and lots of deer and other critters like hogs from 100-400 lbs. and up. Drove a loaner '14 SLT for a few days. It was down right dangerous at night with the low beams, Even at such low speeds

It was Much worse than my 900s low beams, which I consider just marginal. Was very glad to return the truck when my 900 was ready.

I am not quite ready for a new truck but for sure, I will not be buying a new one till they fix this issue. Just do not want such aggravation on a daily (nightly) bases.

I just adjusted mine a week ago. Give them a full turn counter clockwise (UP) with a Phillips Screwdriver and it does make them much better for seeing on dims. Just open the hood and look for a hole directly above the each of the headlights, there is a white plastic adjustment screw. I parked mine in front of the barn, and it lifted the cut-off enough to give me a lot more range on dims. I haven't had anyone flash me their bright lights yet, so I'm thinking they will be fine at that setting.

This is the best alternative I can find currently, until someone comes out with something better than the market currently has. My only regret, was I wish I had done this a year ago, and certainly before my trip out West 2 months ago.

At least now I can see a deer in the ditch! And it gives me a little more time and distance to react.

I would try this in the meantime, it only takes a few seconds. Anything is better than the stock setting and lights.

Yeah I essentially have dine the same with my level kit and not adjusting back down

• 3 weeks later...

abd88c6fd2bff6ab00d3cc0dfabee948.jpg

Morimoto 3five 6000k kit. Best choice I made when changing head light color and brightness. Not too blue and not dingy yellow. Bright bright white. Check it out from the front

2b855935d0ba0de98be4c3f8d778decf.jpg

a3bdcf2c0988a9b7fabb959506575ed6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by FORGIVEN06
  • Like 1

For me it's a distance issue. There's a distinct cutoff about 5-6 car lengths ahead of me where there's no lighting projecting further. With the old halogens I had you would still have light projecting further to give you at least an opportunity to observe movement or reflecting eyes ahead. You don't see it so much in city driving but on dark, poorly lit streets or country roads. I also don't feel like I have enough light off to the corners. When I want to make a turn into an area there's not much corner lighting so I'm never really sure what I'm going to encounter. I've had to get out more than once just to visualize the right side.

That is what I experienced until I raised the headlight screw 1 full turn. I can now see at least a couple hundred yards ahead without it blinding oncoming cars. I run with my fog lights on to see to the corners close to me. Only problem I have is when I encounter an uphill section and I cant see past the shutter line.