Headlight Illumination Issues

I just got back from a dealer service, they just got the bulbs today and replaced them in my truck. Tech told me to check it out and let them know if there are any problems. I will know tonight if they work better, but from the photos I have seen I should be pleased.

Winslow

You will be :driving: ...........

• Like 1

Went to my dealer on Saturday morning 4-18-15 with the copy of the service bulletin. The lady that was working looked at me and pretty much said there is nothing they can do about it. I told her that others have had it done and she said that since this isn't a recall, there is nothing that can be done. She pulled up my VIN and said I have a transfer case recall and I can schedule that if I want. I told her no, I'll go somewhere else that will help me more than you. They always ask me where I got my truck too, like there is some sort of dealer snobs that won't touch another dealers truck. I also told her that if they would have been able to trade for my truck then I would have gone through them.

Sorry for the rant, just pissed that she made my day less exciting.

Hey psmack2116,

We truly apologize for this! This is certainly not the kind of experience we wanted to you to have as our valued customer. If you need any assistance locating another dealership in your location, feel free to send us a private message with your information. We are always happy to help the best way possible.

Patsy G

GM Customer Care

Well the lights do work and they are much brighter at night. I am happy with the update. The only issue left here for me is how well they work in the rain at night.

Winslow

Well the lights do work and they are much brighter at night. I am happy with the update. The only issue left here for me is how well they work in the rain at night.

Winslow

No headlights on any vehicle I've ever driven work great in the rain at night.

No headlights on any vehicle I've ever driven work great in the rain at night.

The stock ones on the Sierra are worse than most, IMHO. Because they tend to point so high, they create a nasty reflection off of the rain that significantly reduces visibility purely because of where the beam falls. At one point a couple of weeks back, I actually turned my headlights OFF and ran the fogs coming down my street and saw better that way - and it wasn't even raining very hard. I'm still running the original lamps - my update should be reasonably soon (as long as the dealer receives the new Vosla bulbs that they were promised).

• Like 1

The stock ones on the Sierra are worse than most, IMHO. Because they tend to point so high, they create a nasty reflection off of the rain that significantly reduces visibility purely because of where the beam falls. At one point a couple of weeks back, I actually turned my headlights OFF and ran the fogs coming down my street and saw better that way - and it wasn't even raining very hard. I'm still running the original lamps - my update should be reasonably soon (as long as the dealer receives the new Vosla bulbs that they were promised).

I hear you, the issue I have is the original lights didn't illuminate the lane markers, road markings or signs very well. Light rain was ok, but when you started to get heavy it was harder to see where you were going. I also noticed last night that the lights also reflect better off road signs than the original lights did. So that is a huge plus.

GM has just come out with a fix for the headlight issue. New bulbs and reprogramming to send more power to the bulbs. Got mine done today. Much brighter lights and actually illuminates the side of the road now. 2015 GMC's built after Jan1/15 apparently already have the upgrade. This was really the only downside to my new 2014 GMC SLT Crew 4X4 with 6.2L. Absolutely love the truck otherwise.

I know there are tons of threads on this topic already. I complained much like everyone else to GM Canada. Apparently GMC released a new OEM light or bulb for the GMC sierra with projectors this week.

My dealer has ordered a set for me and another guy.

I will keep everyone posted with updates, part numbers etc.

Here's hoping it will work, as I just ordered a Morimoto HID retrofit kit.

GM has just come out with a fix for the headlight issue. New bulbs and reprogramming to send more power to the bulbs. Got mine done today. Much brighter lights and actually illuminates the side of the road now. 2015 GMC's built after Jan1/15 apparently already have the upgrade. This was really the only downside to my new 2014 GMC SLT Crew 4X4 with 6.2L. Absolutely love the truck otherwise.

Not sure where you're getting your info that they "just came out with a fix" as this was reported almost three months ago. The reprogram ups the output voltage to the bulbs by about 20% and the new bulbs (Vosla- German made) are also 15-20% brighter themselves. All told you're getting a pretty good bump in lumens, and the dispersion pattern is apparently better (I'm waiting on my bulbs to arrive, which I first inquired about roughly 5 weeks ago).

It didn't just come out and all the info is on this thread with the TSB number and the revised TSB. Many have had it done already. I had the BCM updated before the Vosla bulbs came in. Just the voltage increase makes a difference. I took the Vosla bulbs out and put Putco mirror white bulbs in and like them better. They are 60w instead of 55w and are a true bright white and whiter than the Vosla's. I'm satisfied with them along with the BCM update.

It didn't just come out and all the info is on this thread with the TSB number and the revised TSB. Many have had it done already. I had the BCM updated before the Vosla bulbs came in. Just the voltage increase makes a difference. I took the Vosla bulbs out and put Putco mirror white bulbs in and like them better. They are 60w instead of 55w and are a true bright white and whiter than the Vosla's. I'm satisfied with them along with the BCM update.

Where did you get the aftermarket bulbs and what did you pay for them? Did you get bulbs for the fogs so they color match better (although the less pure white of the fogs may actually HELP in the fog to add contrast)?

The headlight bulbs are from autopartswarehouse.com part # P45239012MW. You can search the part number and ebay has them. Putco has a double white, night white, spark white, mirror white and nitro blue in the 9012 in 60w. Mirror white is the whitest light and brightest bulb. As for the fogs, the way to go is to ditch the factory lamps and H16 bulbs. They don't work well and are only 28w. These lamps (link below) are a direct replacement, pop right in and use the brighter 55w H3 bulb. I'd replace the bulb to a Putco Mirror White H3 (part# 23003MW) which would be a match for the headlights.. The new lamps have the adaptor harness already installed for easy plug and play.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380981266829?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

H3 Mirror White fog bulbs

P230003NW_1000.jpg

I guess I should have reviewed the thread before commenting. I was just advised couple weeks ago of the fix. Regardless, I'm happy with the results.