Headlight Illumination Issues

Been watching this topic and glad there has been improvement in light performance. I called my dealer today and he was unaware of the bulletin, but was very willing to look it up and get bulbs on order. Will see how this goes from here......

Is it possible to get the fog lights to come on with the low beams? Instead of pushing the button every time...

Is there anyway to check they updated the BCM beyond reading the work order? I'm guessing a multimeter?

-Skeet

multimeters measure voltage, amps and ohms. They have no way to read and or decode programming software. If the dealer codes out your service invoice with the correct part # for the bulbs and the BCM reprogram than it will have been done. I seriously doubt a mechanic will want to take your truck back for an hour and let it chill and not do the update and then send it back out saying the update was done. It is a quick and easy job, especially for warranty work.

First...

I'm guessing he means taking a reading at the bulb connector and verifying a voltage output that is greater than pre BCM update.

Second...

There are post in this thread that indicate that incorrect replacement bulbs have been installed in some cases.

Headlight aiming incorrectly performed and or not performed at all as well.

Yet somehow we are to believe that the BCM update procedure isn't susceptible to error?

Sorry, not buying it!

They should have installed the bulbs while you were their now you have to drive another 60 miles round trip would have took all of 15 mins to install. As far as knowing if the bulbs are seated right you will be able to tell mine had a dark spot on the ground between the head lights the light pattern just won't look right. The air box removal loosen the clamp on the hose unplug the mass air plug and pull up on the box with a quick jerk it will pop out. Reinstall line up box push down firmly and hook back up connections.

No, don't pull up on the air box to pop it out. The nub that you are wanting to dislodge, is in an open, slide in slot. You can move the air box slightly inward toward the engine compartment and it will disengage from the slot and not damage the mounting nub.

• Like 1

Wish i could find a replacement bulb for the fog lights now to give them a whiter light. Would like to use an led if I could find one that will keep the same light pattern as the oem bulbs. Maybe someone knows.

These might be a close match to the new headlight bulbs.

http://www.xenondepot.com/PSX24W-LED-bulb-cree-p/xd-psx24w-led.htm

• Like 1

These are my before and after photos ...... I do not believe the upgrade is as bright as my 2005 GMC, BUT it is much, much better. I can now see the shoulders of the highway and I can see much farther down the highway. I do believe the lighting is AT LEAST 30% better, but probably much more.

I think I am willing to drive my new truck in the dark now. I can even see the dark ranch road to turn into the ranch now, whereas before I could not.

The first two photos are the before photos. The next two are the after TSB photos.

And the last one photo is the OEM headlights with Sylvannia Silverstar Ultra bulbs on my 2005 GMC 2500 HD.

sml_gallery_139206_3126_34753.jpg
sml_gallery_139206_3127_40595.jpg
sml_gallery_139206_3126_195631.jpg
sml_gallery_139206_3126_42156.jpg
sml_gallery_139206_3127_106610.jpg
  • Like 1

No way to adjust from side to side, except to loosen the top fasteners and try to turn the headlights inward with the "slack" n the mounting holes. I do not seem to have that issue with my headlights. If, in fact, you think that is a problem, it would show up very noticeable on an alignment screen. See my procedure below that I did on my truck.

Make sure the bulbs are "seated " fully, twisted all the way clockwise. This will effect headlight aiming if not seated fully and appear to have a "dead spot" in the lighting pattern.

My mechanic told me he did not have any way to do the alignment procedure. My dealer is a small town, west Texas dealer. They have very good GM mechanics and are very good and knowledgable, but their on site size is limited. My service manager gladly printed the PIT5374 bulletin and gave it to me.

I have a fairly big metal shop building here at the ranch, so I pulled my truck in and closed the doors. I set up a "screen" on the inside of the roll up door as per the instructions in the TSB. When I turned out the shop lights, I could see the cutoff line very well. As it turned out, my headlights were within 1/2 turn of each other vertically. I syncronized (spelling ?) with each other and then proceded to perform the alignment procedure. I ended up raising each headlight exactly 1 1/2 turns on the adjustment screws to bring them to the cutoff lines on the door screen. I think I left mine very slightly (1/4 turn) on the high side of the final alignment, but not too high for oncoming traffic. It did make a big difference with the down road visibility. A quarter to half turn on the adjustment screws is very noticeable on the alignment screen.........

And while I was set up, I also did the procedure on my fog lamps. It helped them also. Same procedure, just different vertical height measurements on my door screen.....

Edited by Ranch55
  • Like 1

And last, again ....... although updated to PIT5374A ...... reads the same except for dealer labor hours ....

Read the first paragraph carefully .........

PIT5374%20pg1_zpsbaryt1wr.jpg

PIT5374%20pg2_zpswajlopb9.jpg

PIT5374%20pg3_zpshlqvsvcp.jpg

PIT5374%20pg4_zps0qyy81lf.jpg

Edited by Ranch55
  • Like 2

Just had the headlight bulbs replaced this morning and the bcm programmed and the headlights aimed. Bulbs used were (according to invoice) Delco 55-23342527. My Dealer was very good to work with, i had absolutely no problems. My Salesman and Service guy both want an update from me as i think i am the first to have it done at this dealership.

Will update when i get a chance.

As many others have reported I find the bulb/bcm update to be a great improvement to what was on the truck originally.
My comfort level driving with the new bulbs has greatly improved. As reported earliar I did not see a big improvement on the high beams, but definately with low beams, driving lights help as well. Again, as mentioned before anyone with the 14/15 gmc's should be contacting their dealer to get this update done.
Edited by rick08

These might be a close match to the new headlight bulbs.

http://www.xenondepot.com/PSX24W-LED-bulb-cree-p/xd-psx24w-led.htm

Thanks I have looked at these should do the job with less voltage draw too. Have not used leds before I'am assuming they put off less heat too.

No, don't pull up on the air box to pop it out. The nub that you are wanting to dislodge, is in an open, slide in slot. You can move the air box slightly inward toward the engine compartment and it will disengage from the slot and not damage the mounting nub.

My bad thought it removed like a 2011 model. I haven't had to remove mine yet in the 14.