Headlight Illumination Issues

Can anyone answer this... Dealer put the new bulbs in, paper work states (went to reprogram BCM found BCM is up to date). The BCM was updated 2 weeks ago. Is there something different they need to do with the BCM if it shows up to date? So was the voltage to the bulbs increased 2 weeks ago with that BCM update?

Thanks

If the dealer flashed the latest BCM calibration 2 weeks ago then yes, you already had the higher voltage. Now you have the higher output bulbs that are 200k whiter as well.

Got the new bulbs installed and the reprogram on the BCM this morning.

Good news is they are the correct VOSLA bulbs, and they are installed properly.

Bad news was for some reason the tire pressure monitoring in the DIC went blank. Double dashes for all four. Good thing I noticed before driving off, as I always make a quick check before I roll. He had to bring the learning tool out and re-learn all the tires and their positions. Didn't look under the hood until getting home. While double checking to make sure the bulbs were installed correctly, I noticed they never retightened the hose clamp between the air box and the hose going to the intake. At least it was put back over where it needed to go so I wasn't sucking in dust, or at least that is what I keep telling myself.

So since the clamp was loose, I decided to pull the air box and check EVERYTHING out. Everything else looked good, and they did not adjust the lights, as the adjustment screws were in exactly the same place as before. This was fine with me, because I will adjust them myself for optimum coverage.

The mechanic said he could really see the difference on the wall afterwards. I could also feel a good amount of heat in front of the headlight lenses. I just hope nothing melts down. When I pulled into the garage, I could notice a big difference on the back wall as well.

Now I can't wait to try them out at night. Fingers crossed!

The one check I haven't done is for the heat, this was one if the issues in the north, snow n cold, they would ice over making them even worse

Once mine arrive, I plan on pulling the driver bulb to make sure it is in fact the correct bulb before I even start the truck up based on some of these posts.

Too many posts to go back and quote; but to the guy they tried to put the same old bulbs in and you saw the package come in with your name on it, pure ridiculousness.

Is there anyway to check they updated the BCM beyond reading the work order? I'm guessing a multimeter?

-Skeet

The bcm,pcm,tcm,ebcm and so on,all have revision levels the only way to check the latest update is download the data from that module thru the DLC(data link connector)to a scan tool or pc with the correct software to decipher it,then GM has a website to check by

Big improvement on the new light bulbs I can now see in the ditches on both sides. The new lights are quite a bit brighter than the fogs now but still not as bright as the LED's. I am happy with the way they adjusted the lights my high beams really reach out and touch they are not sky high on the tree tops. I am satisfied with the performance now. They should have been like this from day one. :driving:

Once mine arrive, I plan on pulling the driver bulb to make sure it is in fact the correct bulb before I even start the truck up based on some of these posts.

Too many posts to go back and quote; but to the guy they tried to put the same old bulbs in and you saw the package come in with your name on it, pure ridiculousness.

Is there anyway to check they updated the BCM beyond reading the work order? I'm guessing a multimeter?

-Skeet

multimeters measure voltage, amps and ohms. They have no way to read and or decode programming software. If the dealer codes out your service invoice with the correct part # for the bulbs and the BCM reprogram than it will have been done. I seriously doubt a mechanic will want to take your truck back for an hour and let it chill and not do the update and then send it back out saying the update was done. It is a quick and easy job, especially for warranty work.

Dropped off the big red truck tonight for an 8 am service tomorrow, they called this week to tell me the bulbs had come in, looking forward to tomorrow night!

Does this thread concern the 2014 Silverado LTZ 4x4

Milo's iPhone

No it does not include the Silverado

Big improvement on the new light bulbs I can now see in the ditches on both sides. The new lights are quite a bit brighter than the fogs now but still not as bright as the LED's. I am happy with the way they adjusted the lights my high beams really reach out and touch they are not sky high on the tree tops. I am satisfied with the performance now. They should have been like this from day one. :driving:

Wish i could find a replacement bulb for the fog lights now to give them a whiter light. Would like to use an led if I could find one that will keep the same light pattern as the oem bulbs. Maybe someone knows.

Edited by southern_sierra

Let there be LIGHT!

I went for a nice long cruise out here in the sticks/boonies. I would like to add that no deer were harmed in this production.

The lights are much improved, but they still have their shortcomings. While the light is much whiter and brighter with more splash over on the sides to see in the ditches and slightly beyond, there is still a big dead spot right up close and off to the sides of the truck. This makes it tough to see when making turns into driveways in complete darkness. The good news is the fogs help a lot in this area on dims, but obviously not on brights. I run with the fogs on day or night, so I can live with that. The fogs do look quite yellow in comparison now, but I can also live with that. The bad new is the bright lights only lift the shutter and still light up the trees overhead while not giving you any more light off to the sides than the dims do..

I do feel much safer driving now, and although these are not perfect, they are vastly improved. Before this update, the lights truly were pathetic for rural driving where I live.

Now for the "Fog Lights On With High Beams" mod, and that should help fill in the voids while turning corners or into driveways out here in the sticks/boonies. It's been a LONG 18 months waiting for this update, and a lot of bumps in the road to get here.

Thanks GM for listening, but these trucks maybe should have been driven around a country block or two before rolling with production? I know you say the lights were legal, but there is no way you could ever convince me of that short of driving under the CITY LIGHTS. You really do need to get outta town once in a while!

GMC dealer in Wasilla installed the upgrade to my headlights Sat morning new bulbs and the BCM programming. Took them about 1/2 hour just enough to finish my large Starbucks. All i can say it is vast improvement worked great am really happy. i had installed 9012 hir bulbs that did work better than the stock bulbs but i think this factory improvement is better. Am done with headlights. Feel lot better about truck that GM came thru with this. Just turned 3000 miles no other problems or issues just a really nice truck. :)

What upgrade? Can you PM me some details?

Sent from my iPhone