Headlight Illumination Issues

Guys,

I picked up my truck today after taking it in for the lights and my heated seats which went out. Heated seats now working properly. I was very impressed with the new headlights. My service center said they never heard of the issue and seemed to almost brush it off when I first tool it in. After I called to follow up I think they realized I was serious about the issue. They replaced both bulbs and reprogrammed the BCM. I can actually see right in front without fog lights. Then I turned on my bright lights and definitely a difference there. I went back to the same place not far from my house and I remember thinking I honestly can't tell a difference between my lows and highs. Now I can! I'd highly recommend everyone get this done. It helps printing off the the PIT number and giving it to your service guy.

Here is my receipt showing what they did. Thx for everyone's help in identifying a fix!7bfc0616c011ec874b4342afc390270d.jpg

From the bulb part numbers on the receipt it looks like your replacement bulbs were just like mine - the oem bulbs but not the new part number bulbs identified in the PIT Service Bulletin. If that's true, like me. they just took out the old bulbs and replaced them with exactly the same ones.

What a mess..............

From the bulb part numbers on the receipt it looks like your replacement bulbs were just like mine - the oem bulbs but not the new part number bulbs identified in the PIT Service Bulletin. If that's true, like me. they just took out the old bulbs and replaced them with exactly the same ones.

What a mess..............

Why could they not read the document it gives the part number for the new bulbs. Sometimes I wounder how some people make as far as they do. I feel for you this would really piss me off.

• Like 2

I'm wondering if the brilliant GMC engineer that designed these headlights transferred over from the now defunct Pontiac or Oldmobile engineering group ??? Keep this kind of quality up, and GMC will be defunct soon too !

Unfounded and stupid statement--sorry!

Guys,

I picked up my truck today after taking it in for the lights and my heated seats which went out. Heated seats now working properly. I was very impressed with the new headlights. My service center said they never heard of the issue and seemed to almost brush it off when I first tool it in. After I called to follow up I think they realized I was serious about the issue. They replaced both bulbs and reprogrammed the BCM. I can actually see right in front without fog lights. Then I turned on my bright lights and definitely a difference there. I went back to the same place not far from my house and I remember thinking I honestly can't tell a difference between my lows and highs. Now I can! I'd highly recommend everyone get this done. It helps printing off the the PIT number and giving it to your service guy.

Here is my receipt showing what they did. Thx for everyone's help in identifying a fix!7bfc0616c011ec874b4342afc390270d.jpg

According to your documentation, you did not get the updated headlight bulbs installed in your truck. The documentation indicates that the bulbs ordered and installed are the initial OEM Philips bulbs which ARE NOT the update as per PIT5374 ~ PIT5374A .......

You definitely need to make another trip back to your service department .......

According to your documentation, you did not get the updated headlight bulbs installed in your truck. The documentation indicates that the bulbs ordered and installed are the initial OEM Philips bulbs which ARE NOT the update as per PIT5374 ~ PIT5374A .......

You definitely need to make another trip back to your service department .......

Which is awful since the paperwork actually states PIT5374...

Which is awful since the paperwork actually states PIT5374...

And GM wouldn't be providing a different bulb if the old bulbs and the reprogram would give the desired improvement.

Unfounded and stupid statement--sorry!

T-Town-Z, on 18 Mar 2015 - 7:13 PM, said:snapback.png

I'm wondering if the brilliant GMC engineer that designed these headlights transferred over from the now defunct Pontiac or Oldmobile engineering group ??? Keep this kind of quality up, and GMC will be defunct soon too !

Let me clarify since I offended you. There are reasons why Oldsmobile and Pontiac are no longer with us. The "lack of" quality and poor engineering choices were probably the two biggest nails in their coffins. I loved my old Pontiacs.....my GTO and Firebirds. But just the same, when a car company comes out with something like the "Azteck", you have to wonder what the hell the people in charge are thinking !

• Like 2

I had my bulbs and BCM flash performed yesterday. Will be checking bulb numbers when I get home - they ordered bulbs so I would assume them to be the bulbs as part of the PIT. I installed Rigid DOT fog lights and after the dealership visit, I am now able to see my headlights shine through the fog lights, so there is definitely more light coming out. I still need to go down a dark road for a better test. In retrospect, I should of installed the Rigid D2 driving lights as my fog lights.

OK, dealer ordered the bulbs and they were installed today. They got the bulbs installed OK but when I looked at the work order the part number for the bulbs (13587719) was different than the part number in the Service Bulletin (23342527). Then I noticed that there was no mention of reprogramming the BCM or aiming the headlights even though I had them attach a complete copy of PIT5374A to the work order.

So, it was back to the shop where they supposedly did the reprogramming and aimed the lights. In the meantime I wandered by parts and asked about the part number change and was told they were unable to order the bulbs under the part number in the Service Bulletin and that, after checking with GMC tech support, learned it had been superseded by the one they installed. Now I'm a bit confused, given that the Service bulletin was updated 10 days ago and now we have a new part number already?

Obviously, given the careless work initially done that overlooked the BCM reprogram I'm wondering whether or not I actually got the correct bulbs, or maybe just new bulbs that are the same as the old ones . If anyone who has had the upgrade done recently and has a work order with the bulb part numbers I would really like to know if you guys can help me understand this better.

Anyway, test run tonight to see how they look.

Thanks to all who responded so quickly to my post #782 about maybe getting the wrong bulbs installed. Helping folks out is the great thing about this forum.

As suggested, pulled the back cover off and the bulb says Phillips - must be OEM. Now I'm wondering if they even bothered to reprogram the BCM. Will have to meet with the Service Manager tomorrow and ask for a complete redo, probably be another week or so on the bulbs.

OK, took another 60 mile round trip drive and spent an hour or so at the dealership this morning to try and clear up the issues in my previous two posts.

Long story short, yes I did get the wrong (original OEM) bulbs installed yesterday. At the end of it all I would say, given this is a new Service Bulletin that none of them were familiar with until I showed up, that there were layers of understandable miscommunication between the parts and service people about the bulbs and the work that was supposed to be done. Once we got it sorted out the folks involved were both apologetic and somewhat embarrassed. Even more ironic, as I was standing there wrapping up the discussion with the Service Manager and the parts guys an air freight delivery arrived with the correct back ordered bulbs with my name on them. Now I have an appointment on Monday to get it done right.

For those folks still waiting to get this done I would say the lesson is to keep a close eye on things so you don't end up like me. With the other issues some have had with things like the new bulbs not being properly seated now I'll be sure sure to follow up carefully to make sure all is good after the work on Monday.

Which brings up the question, exactly how do you move or shift the air filter box to get access to the passenger side headlight?

Good luck to all!

OK, took another 60 mile round trip drive and spent an hour or so at the dealership this morning to try and clear up the issues in my previous two posts.

Long story short, yes I did get the wrong (original OEM) bulbs installed yesterday. At the end of it all I would say, given this is a new Service Bulletin that none of them were familiar with until I showed up, that there were layers of understandable miscommunication between the parts and service people about the bulbs and the work that was supposed to be done. Once we got it sorted out the folks involved were both apologetic and somewhat embarrassed. Even more ironic, as I was standing there wrapping up the discussion with the Service Manager and the parts guys an air freight delivery arrived with the correct back ordered bulbs with my name on them. Now I have an appointment on Monday to get it done right.

For those folks still waiting to get this done I would say the lesson is to keep a close eye on things so you don't end up like me. With the other issues some have had with things like the new bulbs not being properly seated now I'll be sure sure to follow up carefully to make sure all is good after the work on Monday.

Which brings up the question, exactly how do you move or shift the air filter box to get access to the passenger side headlight?

Good luck to all!

They should have installed the bulbs while you were their now you have to drive another 60 miles round trip would have took all of 15 mins to install. As far as knowing if the bulbs are seated right you will be able to tell mine had a dark spot on the ground between the head lights the light pattern just won't look right. The air box removal loosen the clamp on the hose unplug the mass air plug and pull up on the box with a quick jerk it will pop out. Reinstall line up box push down firmly and hook back up connections.

Edited by southern_sierra
  • Like 1

Agree those are not the new Vosla bulbs

They should have installed the bulbs while you were their now you have to drive another 60 miles round trip would have took all of 15 mins to install. As far as knowing if the bulbs are seated right you will be able to tell mine had a dark spot on the ground between the head lights the light pattern just won't look right. The air box removal loosen the clamp on the hose unplug the mass air plug and pull up on the box with a quick jerk it will pop out. Reinstall line up box push down firmly and hook back up connections.

Thanks for the air box advice. Very helpful.

They would have done it today but they were slammed and I didn't feel like spending the whole day there. It was my choice to come back early Monday since I have to be in town for other things anyway that day. The entire thing was very frustrating but I behaved myself and because it was such an obvious series of mistakes I never had to push to get it corrected once it got figured out.

For those of us that only get one bulb ordered, I was told that GM was limiting any order for the new bulbs to one bulb per order due to demand. Any order for more than one was automatically reduced to a quantity of one. If the dealership wanted two bulbs, they have to submit two orders, and the dealerships need to be on top of their ordering to make sure they saw this.

I have no reason to believe I was being lied to given the source, but such an artificial limitation given a vehicle uses two bulbs totally boggles my mind.

Got the new bulbs installed and the reprogram on the BCM this morning.

Good news is they are the correct VOSLA bulbs, and they are installed properly.

Bad news was for some reason the tire pressure monitoring in the DIC went blank. Double dashes for all four. Good thing I noticed before driving off, as I always make a quick check before I roll. He had to bring the learning tool out and re-learn all the tires and their positions. Didn't look under the hood until getting home. While double checking to make sure the bulbs were installed correctly, I noticed they never retightened the hose clamp between the air box and the hose going to the intake. At least it was put back over where it needed to go so I wasn't sucking in dust, or at least that is what I keep telling myself.

So since the clamp was loose, I decided to pull the air box and check EVERYTHING out. Everything else looked good, and they did not adjust the lights, as the adjustment screws were in exactly the same place as before. This was fine with me, because I will adjust them myself for optimum coverage.

The mechanic said he could really see the difference on the wall afterwards. I could also feel a good amount of heat in front of the headlight lenses. I just hope nothing melts down. When I pulled into the garage, I could notice a big difference on the back wall as well.

Now I can't wait to try them out at night. Fingers crossed!

Edited by Ventilator
  • Like 2