Headlight Illumination Issues

How high is the cut-off on the low beam compared to the height if the headlight when when you are doing the alignment check?

Any chance the bulbs are not seated correctly?

Does the truck have the upgrade done?

Edit: I read the next post and see it's about to go in. If the follow the procedure they will do the alignment as well.

I checked the bulbs last night and they are seated properly. I think the dealer might have aimed them with the high beams since they are dead-nuts on with the center of the headlight at 25ft. Comparing the top of the beam pattern between high and low beams is 17-18" difference.

That difference is what is causing my issue. When the dealer does the aiming procedure properly, it will move the low beam pattern up but the high beams will be 17" higher than that which will just be pointing to the sky again. Unless the new bulb significantly changes the beam pattern.

I don't think the bulb will change the beam pattern as it is based on the design of the reflector/projector in the housing.

I've jacked with my beam height several times and have it where the lows have good coverage (pre-update bulbs) and the highs as decent, but as you said the highs are a tad bit too high.

My plan is to have the dealer only do my flash and then I am going to lower my headlights one full rotation of the adjustment screw and go from there and see how they cover on the road.

Guys, remember, these are projector headlights. Slight dirt can cover the entire effective area where light can beam out vs old style reflectors have a large surface area to dissipate light. Keep your headlights clean, even with my 55w HIDs, they perform like a dying candle light when it is dirty from all the dirt in winter.

This is also where I think it is weird that GM would go through the effort of making projector headlights but not applying HIDs to them. Halogens are already weak, that is why they are still more effective in a reflector housing, using halogens in projector are fine until the entire output area in front of the projector circle has gunk over them

Edited by morrislee

Drove last night in the rain and this thing is pathetic regarding forward sight. I almost drove off the on ramp to the highway around a large corner. New replacement lights still on backorder from the dealer.

well the dead spot is gone, (thanks guys) overall sight is much better and acceptable now, still not as good as my 05 was, but that maybe due to the projector design which I am adjusting too, when u flip the high beams on I have much better light and its not in the tree tops like it was before its more of a overall lighting,

B4

IMG_20150312_203631489_zpsertj65qi.jpg

after

IMG_20150314_234112465_zpsnnoyyras.jpg

with door open standing on step bars,

B4

IMG_20150312_203642941_zpsq14gxfuo.jpg

after

IMG_20150314_234122796_zpssyjejdom.jpg

Ya I juster pulled down the street to the same place and forgot which way u had it, but u can tell bye the sides the change, my pics are crappy cell phone pics and honestly don't do it justice, they are much better, definitely not what they should be, but better,

Also we lost quite a bit of snow so it wasn't exactly the same

Ya I juster pulled down the street to the same place and forgot which way u had it, but u can tell bye the sides the change, my pics are crappy cell phone pics and honestly don't do it justice, they are much better, definitely not what they should be, but better,

So your before and after pics from the step bars, there are no fog lights on in the after pic? Looks awful dark right in front of the bumper in the before. I've never stood on mine to see what it looks like that close to the truck and I can't see that area while driving either. That's crazy.

-Skeet

this is mine, 55w HIDs and 3000lm VLED fogs all in stock housing. I live in the boonies, I need a lot of lights in all these dark roads.

post-134831-0-17382600-1426401823_thumb.post-134831-0-85014100-1426401820_thumb.

GMC dealer in Wasilla installed the upgrade to my headlights Sat morning new bulbs and the BCM programming. Took them about 1/2 hour just enough to finish my large Starbucks. All i can say it is vast improvement worked great am really happy. i had installed 9012 hir bulbs that did work better than the stock bulbs but i think this factory improvement is better. Am done with headlights. Feel lot better about truck that GM came thru with this. Just turned 3000 miles no other problems or issues just a really nice truck. :)

Edited by Welder2014

Yes..its an LT.

I guessed so much two of my buddies have LT silverado's that have good lights. LTZ and higher model Silverados have projector head lights where as the WT, LS & LT Chevy's have standard headlights which IMO work better than projectors.