Headlight Illumination Issues

That bright spot on the right side would make me wonder if the bulb is seated fully in the housing.

I plan on having them flash the BCM and putting the bulbs in myself since the CAI needs to come out and will prob take more time than the book will pay the tech for the stock air cleaner.

Thanks guys, I had some time and went and looked, sure enough passenger side was not seated correctly one of the tabs was out, can't wait to drive tonight LMAO, we wont get into the fast that my air cleaner was just bouncing around and not in its tabs

I'll try snap a new pic tonight if its not raining

Thanks guys, I had some time and went and looked, sure enough passenger side was not seated correctly one of the tabs was out, can't wait to drive tonight LMAO, we wont get into the fast that my air cleaner was just bouncing around and not in its tabs

I'll try snap a new pic tonight if its not raining

This is the reason I like to do any repairs myself. At least I know if something is not done right. Some people don't care not all just some. Been doing my own maintance for over 35yrs oil changes, tire rotatations, brakes anything I can just don't trust people. I don't even like someone doing repairs on my truck if I can't watch iam alittle ocd.

This is the reason I like to do any repairs myself. At least I know if something is not done right. Some people don't care not all just some. Been doing my own maintance for over 35yrs oil changes, tire rotatations, brakes anything I can just don't trust people. I don't even like someone doing repairs on my truck if I can't watch iam alittle ocd.

i'm not to far behind u lol, and i am 100% ok with it LOL

Just went in today to get this done and the dealer was completely unprepared even though I explained everything over the phone. I mentioned that when I had the high beams on that they are aimed so high they only light up the tree tops. I probably should have kept my mouth shut since they then insisted on aiming the lights and trying that before doing the update.

I'm not sure what procedure they used to aim the headlights, but it definately wasn't the procedure in this TSB. I just parked 25 ft from a wall in my parking garage and the low beams hit the wall about 2 ft below the headlight height on the truck vice the +0/-.75" in the TSB. The high beams were useless before but now the low beams point right into the ground (although I'm sure the high beams work great). If this is in fact the proper aim point, no wonder everyone is complaining.

Getting ready to call the dealer again and hoping someone can help me out.

How much higher is the beam pattern with the high beams compared to the low beams on your trucks? On mine, when the low beams are aimed according to the procedure, the high beams hot spot is about 17 inches above the low beam hot spot. This makes the high beams do nothing but light up the tree tops. Does anyone else have this problem or maybe there is just something wrong with my actual light housings. At this point, it seems like my options are to have functional low beams OR functional high beams due to this aiming discrepancy.

Anything to help me clarify my issue before talking to the dealer is appreciated.

9011 HIR bulbs have more lumens than the Vosla bulbs. If you do this update, it will help the 9011 bulbs be brighter supposedly. The flash update is supposed to up the wattage output to the bulb even though the vosla bulbs are still rated at 55watts.

If you have the 9011 bulbs in your headlights right now, I would suggest you put back in the stock 9012s and then do the update then put back in the 9011 again afterwards.

Based on what the engineer told me, the new VOLSA bulb is actually brighter and whiter (200k whiter than the stock Phillips bulb).

in regards to the high beam complaint, not much you can do since there is only one bulb and it is just an internal shutter inside of the projector that flips up to allow more light out of the projector.

Haven't heard 1 complaint on the silverado

I have a silverado (2014) and the lights on the chevys are really good (IMO). Had a 99 silverado before this one and the 14's headlights are vastly improved.

Edited by dbannerz71

I have a silverado (2014) and the lights on the chevys are really good (IMO). Had a 99 silverado before this one and the 14's headlights are vastly improved.

Is your Chevy an LT?

Based on what the engineer told me, the new VOLSA bulb is actually brighter and whiter (200k whiter than the stock Phillips bulb).

in regards to the high beam complaint, not much you can do since there is only one bulb and it is just an internal shutter inside of the projector that flips up to allow more light out of the projector.

Thanks for taking a minute to respond. I know about the headlight design, I'm just wondering if anyone else has high beams that are so much higher than the low beams that they don't do anything to add to the distance you can see at night. I'm hoping that maybe there is something wrong with my headlight housings that are causing the extra light when the high beam shutter opens to be so much higher. Parked 25 ft from a wall, the extra light is centered 18" above the top of the low beam hot spot which means they just light up the tops of trees.

I'm sorry if I'm coming across a little whiny but most of the posts on Sierra headlight issues focus on them sucking in general and not this specific problem. If everyone else is experiencing this issue, it's clearly in the crappy design but if I'm the only one, it gives me some ammo trying to get it fixed with the dealer. So the next time your driving at night, flip the high beams on for a second and let me know.

Thanks

I spoke with the dealer today and they've agreed to do the update now. I'm probably to much a softy with them but hopefully this makes them better. Luckily I don't use the high beams that much anyway.

Thanks for taking a minute to respond. I know about the headlight design, I'm just wondering if anyone else has high beams that are so much higher than the low beams that they don't do anything to add to the distance you can see at night. I'm hoping that maybe there is something wrong with my headlight housings that are causing the extra light when the high beam shutter opens to be so much higher. Parked 25 ft from a wall, the extra light is centered 18" above the top of the low beam hot spot which means they just light up the tops of trees.

I'm sorry if I'm coming across a little whiny but most of the posts on Sierra headlight issues focus on them sucking in general and not this specific problem. If everyone else is experiencing this issue, it's clearly in the crappy design but if I'm the only one, it gives me some ammo trying to get it fixed with the dealer. So the next time your driving at night, flip the high beams on for a second and let me know.

Thanks

How high is the cut-off on the low beam compared to the height if the headlight when when you are doing the alignment check?

Any chance the bulbs are not seated correctly?

Does the truck have the upgrade done?

Edit: I read the next post and see it's about to go in. If the follow the procedure they will do the alignment as well.

Edited by redwngr