Headlight Illumination Issues

Just went in today to get this done and the dealer was completely unprepared even though I explained everything over the phone. I mentioned that when I had the high beams on that they are aimed so high they only light up the tree tops. I probably should have kept my mouth shut since they then insisted on aiming the lights and trying that before doing the update.

I'm not sure what procedure they used to aim the headlights, but it definately wasn't the procedure in this TSB. I just parked 25 ft from a wall in my parking garage and the low beams hit the wall about 2 ft below the headlight height on the truck vice the +0/-.75" in the TSB. The high beams were useless before but now the low beams point right into the ground (although I'm sure the high beams work great). If this is in fact the proper aim point, no wonder everyone is complaining.

Edited by papcie03
  • Like 1

does anyone know why I cant seem to upload on this site anymore?? it always says file too big, so Ive been using photo bucket but its a pain,

Anywayz here are some crappy pics,

IMG_20150312_203631489_zpsertj65qi.jpg

After, blurry but u can see the spot im talking about to the right,

IMG_20150313_202049097_zps8oiijxcv.jpg

IMG_20150312_203631489_zpsertj65qi.jpg

after, notice the main beam down the middle at first I thought the pass light was out,,

IMG_20150313_202057581_zpsoedotid5.jpg

IMG_20150312_203806035_zpsn6uad0dk.jpg

After

IMG_20150313_202212455_zpsqjkph9es.jpg

That bright spot on the right side would make me wonder if the bulb is seated fully in the housing.

I plan on having them flash the BCM and putting the bulbs in myself since the CAI needs to come out and will prob take more time than the book will pay the tech for the stock air cleaner.

Well that did not work, just took truck for a ride,,,

Well,,,, uhgg I think the alignment is off, I have a dead spot on the pass side, but they are brighter and the high beams actually make a difference now,

Had my bulb update today. I went out to check them tonight to see what I had. When I turn on the headlights had a dead spot between the lights cant say what I said. Well thought it had to be ajustment but seemed like the drivers side bulb was shining to the left which I knew there is no ajustment for.I had marked the up and down adjustment screw with a sharpe from where I had to adjust them after adding my tool boxes which I turned them down a 1/4 of a turn. I told the tech before he installed the bulbs I had ajusted them and maked them. When I looked at the ajustment screw it was where I had set it. So I took off the cover on the drivers side headlight with the lights on and unseated the bulb or unlocked it and reseated it and the lights blended and the dead spot was gone. I read back a few pages ago someone had this problem dont know if they got it fixed or not. So if you have a problem with the beams check to make sure the bulbs are seated good. The lights are whiter than before seem to be better, Will see when I can get on on the highway.

Well that did not work, just took truck for a ride,,,

Well,,,, uhgg I think the alignment is off, I have a dead spot on the pass side, but they are brighter and the high beams actually make a difference now,

Had mine replaced today my drivers side bulb was not seated I had to reseat it and sloved my deadspot. Bet yours is the same. If you do it yourself do it at night with the ligths on that way you can tell when its right especially on the passenger side because you have to remove the airfilter box.

Now with the new bulb update my fog lights look yellow compared to headlights. Anyone know what buld I would need to match the new updated bulbs.

Do the new lights match the led running lights if you have them?

Had mine done today. I don't feel it's much better. When going down a very slight grade I can still only 50 feet in front of me. Wondering if it was done right.

I would venture to guess that the alignment procedure outlined in the PIT5374A bulletin was not preformed. I know that my service department did not do it, my mechanic told me he did not have the proper area in their shop for it. Go back and read my post on doing this. My aiming was initially low after I got it back. After I performed the proper alignment procedure, the lighting was very much improved. See my before and after photos in post #555.

On the other post about the "dead" spot, I agree with TJay74 that it looks as if the bulbs may not be fully seated. If not twisted and seated fully, the light pattern will not be correct and will result in what is shown in your photo above.

So, there is a TSB for updated headlights?? I have a 2014 GMC

Sent from my iPhone

It's not a TSB, but there is a document/bulletin.

IIRC, it's post 555 in this thread.