Headlight Illumination Issues

Doesn't seem like a Technical Service Bulletin, more like a Product Improvement .....

I believe the GM terminology for a PI is Preliminary Information...

Why don't you just go ahead and put the Philips 9012 OEM bulbs back in. that way you can "save" the 9011's and have them on hand. If done under warranty, dealer generally will not give parts back to customer.....

Ha ha - that would depend on me being able to remember where I stashed the OEM bulbs in the shop. Fair point about the dealer, although the service center I go to tend to be pretty decent folks so far. While I'd like to get the 9011's back its not going to kill me if it doesn't happen.

I've called 3 dealers and none of them have a clue what I'm talking about. Has anyone had any success with this TSB at any dealership here in Socal?

Can't say for SoCal but my service center hand't even heard about it when I called today. They had to look it up and said that they hadn't even gotten the usual email notification about it as of yet. OTOH they also said as long as they could get the bulbs in by the time I brought my truck in for service they would be happy to do the upgrade.

• Like 1

Have an APPT for 3/21 to get the headlights updated and an oil change. I had to reference the PIT5374 # to get the service adviser on the same page as I. Based on the before & afters I'm very excited for the update! I was about ready to add some aftermarket driving lights.

Just called local GMC dealer for headlight TSB. Similar to others, i had to give him the document number for him to find it. He hadn't heard of it yet, and even when he searched by TSB number he couldn't find it! Said I was the first person to call about it.

Bulbs on order, hopefully it will help these pitiful headlights.

Thanks to the guys on the forum who found this helpful info.

I just called my dealer to have my headlamp bulbs replaced and the BCM update competed.. The tech. writer took the document number (4093100) and found the TSB5374. He stated this was only when customers complain about headlamp performance. I lodged my complaint verbally, he was willing to take me in same day to have the service performed. I asked him to check with parts to assure the bulbs are in stock and set a service appointment for 3 days from today.

Update: Took vehicle to dealer today. Service writer was different from the one who booked my appointment. I had to educated him on the TSB and document number. I had to show him the images of the TSB posted on this thread. Once he had a clue off the vehicle went to the mechanic, who in turn, was educated. Then the parts department, who were never informed to order the parts. Half an hour later am informed I will be called when the updated bulbs ship in.

I'm used to this with GMC service,comunication among departments is terrible.

Went to my service department today, the bulbs are now on order and an appointment will be scheduled when they come in. Since they had no clue about this issue with the lights it would not have been possible to get anything done without a copy of the TSB/PI, which ever it is, that was available on this forum. Handing them a copy got the ball rolling.

I'm new to the forum and my truck is now only three weeks old but I was totally spooked by the pitiful headlights lights from the very first night's drive. I feel very sorry for all the folks who have suffered with this and tussled with GMC for a long time to get this resolved. As the new to the party beneficiary of all the hard work of so many people on the forum I just have to say thanks to everyone who made this happen and,I guess, thanks to GM for stepping up and offering a fix.

Looking forward to being able to drive (safely) at night.

Looking forward to being able to drive (safely) at night.

Well,

I could do this with a barely used Yugo I bought in 1991 for $ 1,100, and without having to replace the bulbs. Its stock headlights worked quite well.

Does anyone know if the install a simple as removing a harness and inserting bulbs? Worried about condensation build up in headlamps afterwards. I may just be paranoid, spoke with Service department and they said they'd possibly be removing front bumper. Didn't figure changing bulbs was such a process