Headlight Illumination Issues

I am having a terrible time getting my dealer to even look up the number. I keep telling them it is a TSB they tell me they have my VIN number and will check every day for any recalls. I keep telling them it is a t\TSB with no luck.

Friday, 06 March 2015

3475 Southwestern Blvd., Orchard Park, NY 14127 - (716) 667-2000

My dealer had no idea about it either but i gave them the number and they got right on it and looked it up. Ordered the bulbs and a couple days later they Installed today. Haven't had a chance to use them tonight got home before dark and the captain cokes started flowing. Will try to go out tomorrow night and report back.

Edited by FuelHauler87
  • Like 1

I am having a terrible time getting my dealer to even look up the number. I keep telling them it is a TSB they tell me they have my VIN number and will check every day for any recalls. I keep telling them it is a t\TSB with no luck.

Friday, 06 March 2015

3475 Southwestern Blvd., Orchard Park, NY 14127 - (716) 667-2000

Go back to the previous page in this thread where the actual TSB is shown. Print the photos if possible. Get the GM document ID number and the PIT5374 #.

Now then, go to your service department and lodge an official complaint about the headlights being inadequate and not being able to see at night. Tell them you want a service order generated for your truck to check the headlights and voltages. Along with that, supply the service department the GM document # and the Technical Service Bullentin # PIT5374 that you have found that addresses the issue.

If necessary, you may need to go to a more competent dealer service department.

I called GM today and they were clueless about this TSB. This was the second time I called.

Okay, I need to ask you why would you call GM and ask about the TSB ....... Deal directly with your service department .........

• Like 1

I called GM today and they were clueless about this TSB. This was the second time I called.

Why call GM? You should be calling your dealer not GM...

Oops, didn't realize the previous post addressed the post :pimp:

Edited by mafd2

So what is the general consensus of those that had the upgrade done? I had mine done yesterday. Certainly brighter than before. I did have to take the truck in my shop earlier tonight because the dealer did a half ass job of aligning them. They were in a hurry to get out of there yesterday because it was snowing.... Anyhow, I adjusted the right side up a bit to match the driver side. While looking under the hood, I noticed that the tech didn't put the rear light housing cover back on properly. In order to do this, I had to remove the entire Air Filter box and tube to get access to it. I locked the rear cover on, and reinstalled the air box.

One thing I did notice, there seems to be a dead spot in the lighting in the center of the truck, light the left and right side do not meet or overlap in the center. I don't think there is an adjustment for side to side, only up and down.

If anyone knows if these can be adjusted side to side, please post up. I think with that minor adjustment, they would be perfect. (I did check that the bulbs were properly installed once I saw the rear cap was not installed correctly, in case that was causing the problem. Both were ok.)

I called GM once before I knew about the TSB and once after. I got a case no. They did not know the difference between Gmc and Chevy lights. My dealer has no lights. But they will see the light.

I went to my local dealer yesterday and talked to the service manager about this. He initially looked at me like I had two heads and said he had no idea what I was talking about. I then gave him the TSB # and he said OK "that's an engineering code." He then called it up on his computer and said "yep right here it is". Ordered the bulbs and will get me fixed up when they come in. If it helps, what he called up said something about addressing lighting in dark rural areas. If you're having difficulty with dealer try using GM terminology.

• Like 1

Or show him Ranch55's pictures. They sometimes need a visual to understand.

I went to my local dealer yesterday and talked to the service manager about this. He initially looked at me like I had two heads and said he had no idea what I was talking about. I then gave him the TSB # and he said OK "that's an engineering code." He then called it up on his computer and said "yep right here it is". Ordered the bulbs and will get me fixed up when they come in. If it helps, what he called up said something about addressing lighting in dark rural areas. If you're having difficulty with dealer try using GM terminology.

Yes, that is pretty much how to address the issue with your dealer. My whole approach with my service department first, then with GMC Customer Assistance, was addressing the inadequate lighting produced by the headlights and being unable to see at night out here in the rural ranch and very hilly country where I live. I addressed it as being a very unsafe condition. I also advised the above folks of the three near collisions with deer because of the inadequate lighting.

Like you wrote, need to deal with your service department first and foremost. As a matter of fact, my GM case agent also told me that he did not have access to Technical Service Bulletins, but I consistently contacted them also because all contacts and complaints were added to my complaint file. I was building upon my case.

But now that a TSB has been formally issued and available to dealers, all this should not be necessary.

But a person still needs to lodge a formal complaint to their service department about inadequate headlights and if need be, give them the TSB document # and service bulletin #.........

Okay, I need to ask you why would you call GM and ask about the TSB ....... Deal directly with your service department .........

i called them after I talked to service and they kept telling me they never heard of the fix and said they will check daily for recalls for my truck. I privided the tsb number, pictures of the tsb, pictures of the bulbs and got no response.... not even a let me look that up.

So my next step was GM which after talking to them was a mistake, but at the time I thought it was a good idea.

Edited by Whatever64

So what is the general consensus of those that had the upgrade done? I had mine done yesterday. Certainly brighter than before. I did have to take the truck in my shop earlier tonight because the dealer did a half ass job of aligning them. They were in a hurry to get out of there yesterday because it was snowing.... Anyhow, I adjusted the right side up a bit to match the driver side. While looking under the hood, I noticed that the tech didn't put the rear light housing cover back on properly. In order to do this, I had to remove the entire Air Filter box and tube to get access to it. I locked the rear cover on, and reinstalled the air box.

One thing I did notice, there seems to be a dead spot in the lighting in the center of the truck, light the left and right side do not meet or overlap in the center. I don't think there is an adjustment for side to side, only up and down.

If anyone knows if these can be adjusted side to side, please post up. I think with that minor adjustment, they would be perfect. (I did check that the bulbs were properly installed once I saw the rear cap was not installed correctly, in case that was causing the problem. Both were ok.)

No way to adjust from side to side, except to loosen the top fasteners and try to turn the headlights inward with the "slack" n the mounting holes. I do not seem to have that issue with my headlights. If, in fact, you think that is a problem, it would show up very noticeable on an alignment screen. See my procedure below that I did on my truck.

My mechanic told me he did not have any way to do the alignment procedure. My dealer is a small town, west Texas dealer. They have very good GM mechanics and are very good and knowledgable, but their on site size is limited. My service manager gladly printed the PIT5374 bulletin and gave it to me.

I have a fairly big metal shop building here at the ranch, so I pulled my truck in and closed the doors. I set up a "screen" on the inside of the roll up door as per the instructions in the TSB. When I turned out the shop lights, I could see the cutoff line very well. As it turned out, my headlights were within 1/2 turn of each other vertically. I syncronized (spelling ?) with each other and then proceded to perform the alignment procedure. I ended up raising each headlight exactly 1 1/2 turns on the adjustment screws to bring them to the cutoff lines on the door screen. I think I left mine very slightly (1/4 turn) on the high side of the final alignment, but not too high for oncoming traffic. It did make a big difference with the down road visibility. A quarter to half turn on the adjustment screws is very noticeable on the alignment screen.........

And while I was set up, I also did the procedure on my fog lamps. It helped them also. Same procedure, just different vertical height measurements on my door screen.....

Edited by Ranch55
  • Like 1

Also, my general feeling is that it is a hugh improvement for my truck. It works for me. I can now drive my truck in the dark out here in this rural ranch country and see almost as well as on my 2005 Sierra.

And I also checked my bulbs for proper seating and making sure the backing plates were installed and seated thoroughly. Mechanic did good on that.

• Like 1