Headlight Illumination Issues

These are my before and after photos ...... I do not believe the upgrade is as bright as my 2005 GMC, BUT it is much, much better. I can now see the shoulders of the highway and I can see much farther down the highway. I do believe the lighting is AT LEAST 30% better, but probably much more.

I think I am willing to drive my new truck in the dark now. I can even see the dark ranch road to turn into the ranch now, whereas before I could not.

Great pics Steve! I'm taking mine to the dealer next week.

Okay, I also have to thank the other folks on this forum who has been chasing this issue also, some of them for quite a bit longer than me. I used the info they posted on here to help develope my case with GM and my dealer.

Thanks to all of you who came before me.

I sincerely hope these before , after, and previous 2005 GMC photos help everyone else as much as it has helped me.

• Like 3

Wow, got to say I am pretty impressed with the before and after photos. I will try and take some of mine with the 9012 bulbs and see how the update compares once I get it done next week.

I just called my dealer to have my headlamp bulbs replaced and the BCM update competed.. The tech. writer took the document number (4093100) and found the TSB5374. He stated this was only when customers complain about headlamp performance. I lodged my complaint verbally, he was willing to take me in same day to have the service performed. I asked him to check with parts to assure the bulbs are in stock and set a service appointment for 3 days from today.

• Like 1

I understand there's a difference in the headlight design, but has the poor lighting issue always been just a Sierra Issue or are there Silverado drivers that feel there headlights are inadequate as well?

Thanks for the great comparison pics Ranch55. They are very accurate. And the old (07-13) design was still much better, but at least we can see now!

Of a little importance, is the fact that I bought my truck last March-14, and I complained to my dealer the next day. He said I wasn't the only one, and went right to GM to find out what to do. That was 1 year ago! After a month of nothing, with dealer saying he is talking to them but nothing, I went to HID bulbs so I could see, and I could with them. They were not reliable with fail to start, and stuck-on issues. It took about 6 months for my dealer to say that GM is sending him something to try on my truck. It took another 3-4 months for the parts to arrive, then I was delayed 1-2 months to get the truck in. At the end of the day it all worked out, but 9-10 months! Come on GM, all you had to do was drive a dam GMC to see for yourselves that they were dangerous at best. Maybe they were waiting for more outcry from owners. Other than the lights disaster, the truck is awesome, and it's the best they've built, IMO.

Called my local dealer and they were aware of the tsb. Have an appointment set up for next friday. Hope it's as good as everyone says. These current headlights are alot dimmer than the 09 I traded in.

Now if they would only do something about the crappy factory tires!

I understand there's a difference in the headlight design, but has the poor lighting issue always been just a Sierra Issue or are there Silverado drivers that feel there headlights are inadequate as well?

Haven't heard 1 complaint on the silverado

My LT Z71 with standard headlights is in the shop for some work, and they gave me a LTZ Z71 as a loaner. Where I have no issues with the brightness of the lights on my LT, the projectors headlights on the LTZ are very poor. There is no peripheral lighting, and what little light there is is focused to the center of the road. I am glad that my LT does not have projectors.

• Like 1

These are my before and after photos ...... I do not believe the upgrade is as bright as my 2005 GMC, BUT it is much, much better. I can now see the shoulders of the highway and I can see much farther down the highway. I do believe the lighting is AT LEAST 30% better, but probably much more.

I think I am willing to drive my new truck in the dark now. I can even see the dark ranch road to turn into the ranch now, whereas before I could not.

The first two photos are the before photos. The next two are the after TSB photos.

And the last one photo is the OEM headlights with Sylvannia Silverstar Ultra bulbs on my 2005 GMC 2500 HD.

man, if pictures were worth a thousand words, i cannot wait to get in

My LT Z71 with standard headlights is in the shop for some work, and they gave me a LTZ Z71 as a loaner. Where I have no issues with the brightness of the lights on my LT, the projectors headlights on the LTZ are very poor. There is no peripheral lighting, and what little light there is is focused to the center of the road. I am glad that my LT does not have projectors.

Now think of us poor Sierra owners, with only half the bulbs that the Chevy's have. Last fall coming out the East side of Yellowstone at night in the rain was unbelievable. Couldn't see worth crap going down the switchbacks, rocks and boulders breaking of overhead cliffs. Would have made a preacher swear, and a trucker cry. Talk about a white knuckle experience. I live in a very rural area, and dodging deer is a nightly occurrence. So much so, that I usually drive another vehicle at night.

My appointment is next Tuesday. Just hope that this is the fix.

Thanks ranch55 for the pics, and even though the update cannot hold a candle (pun intended) to the 2005, anything is better than the pathetic OEM bulbs and setup.

• Like 1

Called my dealer service department, gave them the TSB number and my vin. They called back later and told me due to my vin I only get the BCM update not the bulbs. I told him according to the TSB there are 2 steps first, BCM reprogram second, replace bulbs.

I will need to take a copy of the TSB to show them, he's not being a jerk but I'm the first one to bring this TSB to their attention so he's figuring this out.

I'm glad that GM is finally doing something about this for all the Sierra owners. That being said the Silverado projector low beams are horrible too. Hopefully enough of the Silverado owners will complain to get a fix too.