Headlight Illumination Issues

Here is the wording of the TSB for applicable build dates:

1. For vehicles built before 12/23/14 at Flint Assembly (11th Vin Digit "F"), 1/13/15 at Silao Assembly (11th Vin Digit "G") or 1/16/15 at Ft. Wayne Assembly (11th Vin Digit "Z"), reprogram the BCM with the latest calibration available in TIS2WEB starting on 1/12/2015. The new BCM calibration will increase the voltage to the headlight bulbs in both the low beam and high beam selections.

Important: All vehicles built after the above dates already have the new BCM calibrations and the BCM reprogramming does NOT need to be performed.

• Like 6

Thank you very much. That is very helpful and clears up who's eligible. Based on other posts I'm assuming other parts of TSB address new bulbs and aiming the lights?

Here is the wording of the TSB for applicable build dates:

• For vehicles built before 12/23/14 at Flint Assembly (11th Vin Digit "F"), 1/13/15 at Silao Assembly (11th Vin Digit "G") or 1/16/15 at Ft. Wayne Assembly (11th Vin Digit "Z"), reprogram the BCM with the latest calibration available in TIS2WEB starting on 1/12/2015. The new BCM calibration will increase the voltage to the headlight bulbs in both the low beam and high beam selections.

Important: All vehicles built after the above dates already have the new BCM calibrations and the BCM reprogramming does NOT need to be performed.

Perfect!! Thanks buddy

If you go back to my earlier posts containing comparison photos of my 2015 GMC and 2005 GMC, you will see the before photos of my 2015 GMC. I will definitely have some "after" photos to share after my service department does my update service.

My service manager is doing some diligent work trying to get the new GM part number bulbs in so we can get my truck in for the work.

Well, Okay..... Maybe a little light at the end of this tunnel for me.

I have also been chasing this headlight issue since I took delivery on my new 2015 GMC Sierra 3500 HD back on Dec.1 of last year.

Just talked to my service manager and they did confirm the PIT5374 bulletin. They said that if the 11th digit on the VIN is an "F", then the bulletin update applies to your truck because it was built Dec. 23rd or before. Anything built Dec. 24th and later should have the updated bulbs and BCM updated on the build line and the TSB does not apply to these trucks.

My service manager also told me that the bulletin specifies the labor hours to be applied and that and parts will be covered under the 3/36 warranty. The new GM part number I gave them matches up with the bulletin.

I gave my service manager the new AC Delco / GM part number about a week ago and now they will follow up more forefully since they have the bulletin in hand.

Okay, I really hope that I can live with this "update". I live on my ranch out here in very rural and hilly country in the western Texas Hill Country and I got to the point that I would not drive the new truck at night out here because I did not feel safe after three near miss collisions with the deer on the highway that I could not see until right on them. Not good .....

I really think you should consider adding auxiliary lights for your situation. The OEM lights will never be adequate for your situation, no matter the updates. You've, no doubt, seen the many iterations posted by members. The options are endless. Pick a brand name light(s) and run with it. The light bars are popular, but I prefer the independent lights to have the ability to aim them separately for your situation. I have a set angled outboard, and others straight ahead.

If you just want to do one installation, I'd be temped to do the Rigid D2 Wide beam for your situation. There's a bracket kit that goes into the Sierra with a little work. Nothing a handy guy with a dremel and a drill can't handle.

http://www.rigidindustries.com/led-lighting/50212

http://www.rigidindustries.com/mounting-options/46511

Edited by spurshot

I really think you should consider adding auxiliary lights for your situation. The OEM lights will never be adequate for your situation, no matter the updates. You've, no doubt, seen the many iterations posted by members. The options are endless. Pick a brand name light(s) and run with it. The light bars are popular, but I prefer the independent lights to have the ability to aim them separately for your situation. I have a set angled outboard, and others straight ahead.

I am considering that option, and may indeed do that to increase the lighting. But my first priority is to try and get the OEM headlights up to par at least.

Okay, I just received a call from my service manager a few minutes ago. They have the new "upgraded" VOSLA bulbs in hand and have scheduled my truck in for service for the headlight update tomorrow morning. Service manager is aware of the BCM flash.

I'll be heading in to town (about 55 miles from the ranch) in the morning.

• Like 1

Okay, I just received a call from my service manager a few minutes ago. They have the new "upgraded" VOSLA bulbs in hand and have scheduled my truck in for service for the headlight update tomorrow morning. Service manager is aware of the BCM flash.

Haha. Wouldn't have guessed

Where do they plug into for the BCM flash? Just wondered if we should be concerned if they see the extra wires/diodes sticking out of the BCM plugs from the custom mods we've done?

I would enjoy seeing another one of your photo comparisons. It is a night and day difference between the 05 and the 15. I emailed my service manager yesterday and he said he was going to look into it - not quite the answer I expected.

I would enjoy seeing another one of your photo comparisons. It is a night and day difference between the 05 and the 15. I emailed my service manager yesterday and he said he was going to look into it - not quite the answer I expected.

I will post photo of the new upgrade taken from exact same spot on highway so as to be a good comparison of the "before and after".

That was the initial response I received from my service manager. You may need to supply them with the TSB number and keep at 'em......

Edited by Ranch55
  • Like 1

Just dropped off my truck 30 minutes ago. Service rep confirmed that he ordered the bulbs and they'll be here at noon. Also confirmed that the TSB is for both bulbs and BCM flash and that it's all under warranty opposed to what he told me yesterday. I can't wait to try them out tonight.

Too, too foggy for me to go to town today to dealer. We currently have about 75 yards or less visibility out here and not favorable for driving unless emergency ......Big arctic cold front coming in tonight to central Texas. Will be cold tomorrow, but no fog so can go to Uvalde to dealer.

My service manager said they have printed out the TSB and will be glad to give it to me when they service my truck tomorrow.

Edited by Ranch55