Headlight Illumination Issues

Well, Okay..... Maybe a little light at the end of this tunnel for me.

I have also been chasing this headlight issue since I took delivery on my new 2015 GMC Sierra 3500 HD back on Dec.1 of last year.

Just talked to my service manager and they did confirm the PIT5374 bulletin. They said that if the 11th digit on the VIN is an "F", then the bulletin update applies to your truck because it was built Dec. 23rd or before. Anything built Dec. 24th and later should have the updated bulbs and BCM updated on the build line and the TSB does not apply to these trucks.

My service manager also told me that the bulletin specifies the labor hours to be applied and that and parts will be covered under the 3/36 warranty. The new GM part number I gave them matches up with the bulletin.

I gave my service manager the new AC Delco / GM part number about a week ago and now they will follow up more forefully since they have the bulletin in hand.

Okay, I really hope that I can live with this "update". I live on my ranch out here in very rural and hilly country in the western Texas Hill Country and I got to the point that I would not drive the new truck at night out here because I did not feel safe after three near miss collisions with the deer on the highway that I could not see until right on them. Not good .....

Yessir I do lol. I'm taking them out before I go in to try and get the update. I figured the BCM flash would make them even brighter too. Really if it makes the stock bulbs good, I may sell the LeD to keep it all oem.

-Skeet

Something just crossed my mind. Do you at all care about matching the day time running lights? Because I kinda do.

• Like 1

Wait so I don't have an F in my vin, so this means I already have this "update"?

I'm assuming they meant the 10th digit because I bought mine on 12-13-14. My 10th is an "F" and my 11th is a "G".

Something just crossed my mind. Do you at all care about matching the day time running lights? Because I kinda do.

Yea I like the how mine match now too, I'm not sure if this will change the color or not? I'm no electrical engineer, so I've got no clue. I'd assume the temp will stay the same and output will be better.

Edit* you're referring to going back to stock I bet. I thought about that too, doubt I'll get rid of them haha! 30,000 hours is a long time to not worry about a light going out, I like that too.

-Skeet

Edited by SkeeterMcSkeet

Without me being able to actually read the bulletin update, all I can recall is I thought I heard my service manager say the 11th digit. To be sure let's get the service bulletin and read it for ourselves, or talk to your service manager and get him to print it out for you.

Other than that I don't know. Both the 10th digit and the 11th digit in my VIN is a "F" ....... so there you go. My truck is covered.....

Edited by Ranch55
  • Like 1

Without me being able to actually read the bulletin update, all I can recall is I thought I heard my service manager say the 11th digit. To be sure let's get the service bulletin and read it for ourselves, or talk to your service manager and get him to print it out for you.

Other than that I don't know. Both the 10th digit and the 11th digit in my VIN is a "F" ....... so there you go. My truck is covered.....

I'm just going to head in and see what they say tomorrow. I'm hoping it's the 10th digit lol!

-Skeet

I'm just going to head in and see what they say tomorrow. I'm hoping it's the 10th digit lol!

-Skeet

Well, I'm confused but hopeful. Looking over the VIN decoder found elsewhere on the forum the 10th position is the model year (F, which I have, is 2015) and the 11th position is the build plant location, for my Double Cab it's Z for Ft. Wayne. The location identifier for Crew Cabs built in Mexico in the 11th position is G. Not an expert by any means but it appears the only way to refine the date further would be by the consecutive sequence numbers - the last six numbers in the VIN. Because of the holidays I would be very surprised if any trucks were built after December 24th until sometime in early January.

So, I'm definitely looking forward to hearing what you learn from the dealer tomorrow.

• Like 1

Well, I'm confused but hopeful. Looking over the VIN decoder found elsewhere on the forum the 10th position is the model year (F, which I have, is 2015) and the 11th position is the build plant location, for my Double Cab it's Z for Ft. Wayne. The location identifier for Crew Cabs built in Mexico in the 11th position is G. Not an expert by any means but it appears the only way to refine the date further would be by the consecutive sequence numbers - the last six numbers in the VIN. Because of the holidays I would be very surprised if any trucks were built after December 24th until sometime in early January.

So, I'm definitely looking forward to hearing what you learn from the dealer tomorrow.

Mine was the G as well, u will be good

• Like 1

https://service.gm.com/dealerworld/vincards/pdf/vincard15%20LDT%2001-28-15%20r1.7.pdf

The link is a 2015 GM VIN numbering system. Scroll down to page 25 of the link and it goes through each digit of the 2015 GMC Sierra VIN. My 10th and 11th characters are FG - F for model year 2015, G for Mexico. (Page 17 for you Silverado owners)

For 2014 models: https://service.gm.com/dealerworld/vincards/pdf/vincard14%20LDT%2008-13-14%20r1.4.pdf

Edited by brocka

I am going to check with my dealer tomorrow