Headlight Illumination Issues

I complained to my dealer about 6 months ago about the lights on my GMC. Dealer said to come in, he has new headlights, new bulbs and a BCM update. Put them in 3 days ago, and I can say that they are now acceptable to see, low and high beam. A little less bright than my temporary 35w HID bulb fix, but good enough. The other good thing is now my highs don't point 10 degrees up into the air. They are a still a 'little' too high, but not bad. All in all, a good fix. My opinion is that they are still not as good as the '07-'13 GMC lights, but good enough, and not dangerous anymore. And the side light is pretty good. I asked if the new headlights had different or newer projectors and he didn't know. There are no numbers or tsb's on my work order, sorry. Just that my dealer worked with GM Engineering, and that I was to report the results, which I did.

I took pictures from the back of the projectors, old and new, and they don't look any different. However, the front 'glass' part looks a little smaller to me, but I never took pics of the old ones, so I'm not sure. It's very possible that they just aimed the projectors better in the headlight housing, compared to my old ones, and that could have given my better results as well, or internally the projectors are different, we'll never know. Best of luck to all.

I will say this, I believe it pays to have a good relationship with your dealer. I am very happy that my service advisor went above the call of duty for me. I buy a lot of trucks from them and refer my friends to them (they have bought 3-4 trucks themselves). I don't nickel and dime price, just want fair, which I believe they do. And the end result (for me), is I believe I get treated well.

I would sure like to know what the bulb number is your service department installed for you.

I sent you a PM.......Thanks .....

Anyone here that has had this work done at a dealership should have a repair order with part numbers and labor operations explaining what was done. There is NO dealership that is going to do a mod like this without authorization of GM. If you do have this information, it would help everyone if you posted a copy of it. I find it hard to believe that a dealer would just say , bring it in and we will make these changes, then not give you any paperwork. If they are going to get paid by GM to do this, it needs to be pre authorized, therefore a paper trail is required for sure. Please post up if you have this info!!

I had no paper trail when the GM engineers from the infotainment department came down and had the dealer instal and flash my radio module. Times are changing and with social media (which by the way GM people higher than the ones on this forum are watching) GM is using several routes now to address issues.

Anyone here that has had this work done at a dealership should have a repair order with part numbers and labor operations explaining what was done. There is NO dealership that is going to do a mod like this without authorization of GM. If you do have this information, it would help everyone if you posted a copy of it. I find it hard to believe that a dealer would just say , bring it in and we will make these changes, then not give you any paperwork. If they are going to get paid by GM to do this, it needs to be pre authorized, therefore a paper trail is required for sure. Please post up if you have this info!!

Had the new bulbs/BCM update on Feb 2nd, the following is the description of work performed, as I've said earlier on there's no part numbers shown:

HEADLIGHTS TOO DIM...SOP IN

CASE # ________________ REPLACED BOTH HEADLIGHT BULBS

UPDATE BCM

After much complaining verbally to GM Customer Service over the 14 Sierra headlights, I was contacted by GM offering to send the update to my dealership to install. I never complained to my dealership and when GM CS suggested I contact the dealer, I told them there's nothing my dealer can do it's the design of the headlights that I feel is the problem. The update is much better but I feel the lights on my old 03 Silverado were still better.

AUTOGUY that's an impressive fleet of vehicles you've got!

Edited by GTD

From what the engineer told me GM is working on a new headlight assembly, the question is will they make it backwards compatible?

From what the engineer told me GM is working on a new headlight assembly, the question is will they make it backwards compatible?

Why would they, I know I'd trade my truck in in a minute, be a clever way to boost sales because many if us are brand loyal and its still the best looking truck out

ChrisNJ says they put new headlight assemblies, bulbs and BCM upgrades to his truck. I'll try to find out more about these assemblies if I can.

• Like 2

if they did then the headlight assembly is the same as the current one, the lighting engineer said nothing has been put out yet for the actual projector assembly.

Great news!

Currently at dealer awaiting headlight replacement due to fogging, asked the service guy about this "update" it became official Friday afternoon and was released, unfortunately they don't have the bulbs yet, dangit at least they did it thou...

Edited by jamin87ss
  • Like 1

Great news!

Currently at dealer awaiting headlight replacement due to fogging, asked the service guy about this "update" it became official Friday afternoon and was released, unfortunately they don't have the bulbs yet, dangit at least they did it thou...

What's the TSB #?

• Like 1

Anyone find the TSB number yet?

I'd check out PIT5374 , released Feb 27, from what I've heard it includes new bulbs and a BCM update as well as checking headlight alignment.

Edited by fastxr

I'd check out PIT534 , released Feb 27, from what I've heard it includes new bulbs and a BCM update as well as checking headlight alignment.

Pretty sure that's bit as it was released on the 27th last Friday the service guy told me

Edited by jamin87ss