Headlight Illumination Issues

Subscribed. Going in for an oil change in a couple weeks. I'll voice my complaints then. Fingers crossed.

Call GM getva official complaint they will instruct u to have dealer look at it, that way they can do it while ur there, dealer will turn lights on, off, and high, note they work as designed, then we go from there, more people that do this the better
  • Like 2

I complained about my lights after I bought it. They took it back said were working as designed. I took the advice of several different guys on here, raised the aim up. Helped a lot but still not great. I have watched this thread with a lot of hope that just mabey GM will step up and do something to improve the lights. Im not holding my breath but who knows.

"Working as designed" Meets all current DOT regulations. I am sure that there is no TSB or anything else that GM is going to do. :nonod:

I am not sure, but I am skeptic. I just wanna know if I should go aftermarket or wait for this.

I complained to my dealer about 6 months ago about the lights on my GMC. Dealer said to come in, he has new headlights, new bulbs and a BCM update. Put them in 3 days ago, and I can say that they are now acceptable to see, low and high beam. A little less bright than my temporary 35w HID bulb fix, but good enough. The other good thing is now my highs don't point 10 degrees up into the air. They are a still a 'little' too high, but not bad. All in all, a good fix. My opinion is that they are still not as good as the '07-'13 GMC lights, but good enough, and not dangerous anymore. And the side light is pretty good. I asked if the new headlights had different or newer projectors and he didn't know. There are no numbers or tsb's on my work order, sorry. Just that my dealer worked with GM Engineering, and that I was to report the results, which I did.

I took pictures from the back of the projectors, old and new, and they don't look any different. However, the front 'glass' part looks a little smaller to me, but I never took pics of the old ones, so I'm not sure. It's very possible that they just aimed the projectors better in the headlight housing, compared to my old ones, and that could have given my better results as well, or internally the projectors are different, we'll never know. Best of luck to all.

I will say this, I believe it pays to have a good relationship with your dealer. I am very happy that my service advisor went above the call of duty for me. I buy a lot of trucks from them and refer my friends to them (they have bought 3-4 trucks themselves). I don't nickel and dime price, just want fair, which I believe they do. And the end result (for me), is I believe I get treated well.

• Like 1

I complained to my dealer about 6 months ago about the lights on my GMC. Dealer said to come in, he has new headlights, new bulbs and a BCM update. Put them in 3 days ago, and I can say that they are now acceptable to see, low and high beam. A little less bright than my temporary 35w HID bulb fix, but good enough. The other good thing is now my highs don't point 10 degrees up into the air. They are a still a 'little' too high, but not bad. All in all, a good fix. My opinion is that they are still not as good as the '07-'13 GMC lights, but good enough, and not dangerous anymore. And the side light is pretty good. I asked if the new headlights had different or newer projectors and he didn't know. There are no numbers or tsb's on my work order, sorry. Just that my dealer worked with GM Engineering, and that I was to report the results, which I did.

I took pictures from the back of the projectors, old and new, and they don't look any different. However, the front 'glass' part looks a little smaller to me, but I never took pics of the old ones, so I'm not sure. It's very possible that they just aimed the projectors better in the headlight housing, compared to my old ones, and that could have given my better results as well, or internally the projectors are different, we'll never know. Best of luck to all.

I will say this, I believe it pays to have a good relationship with your dealer. I am very happy that my service advisor went above the call of duty for me. I buy a lot of trucks from them and refer my friends to them (they have bought 3-4 trucks themselves). I don't nickel and dime price, just want fair, which I believe they do. And the end result (for me), is I believe I get treated well.

Well, I must say that this sounds good. I have been working with my dealer, which I also have a good relationship with my service manager, and a GM Case Manager, but my dealer has no information to help me with at this point, and my case manager has not been provided with any positive information for a fix either. I am sharing your post with my case manager to see if it might help me get things moving forward for me.

This is the part I don't get, if the change was made mid august and newer 2015 trucks received the better bulbs and bcm update, then WTF are we made to wait?

My truck was built November 2014 and I can say that mine certainly are NOT the new bulbs.

Edited by therink

None of the new trucks have the new bulbs or BCM update. As of now this update is still in the early phases of being rolled out. I would think eventually it will be a production change.

• Like 1