Headlight Illumination Issues

Has anyone else had the new bulb/BCM flash performed on there Sierra? I feel there better than the original lighting, but high beams aren't very useful as mod has no effect on them. I'm interested in what others think.

From what I got from the engineer, there were only enough bulbs to test 7 trucks out on the first batch of the revised bulbs. I would be surprised to see anyone else on here with as many Sierra's were made.

Has anyone else had the new bulb/BCM flash performed on there Sierra? I feel there better than the original lighting, but high beams aren't very useful as mod has no effect on them. I'm interested in what others think.

Highbeam isn't useful due to the shitty design of the projectors I think. New bulbs wouldn't change that.

I would certainly like my truck to be one of the test Sierra's. I have been complaining for awhile to my dealer on several occasions, made three trips to the service department, parts department has ordered "upgraded" bulbs twice ( waiting on second parts order to arrive), and I have written to GMC Customer Assistance Center, and GM customer service. I have not gotten my hopes up yet, but my service department and GM Customer rep have been in contact with each other.

They know where I stand and how concerned I am with the inadequatency (spelling?) of the headlights for very dark, rural farm and ranch country driving. Very hilly also. The deer out here like the roads at night as much as people I think. I have gotten to where I do not drive my new 2015 Sierra at night. I drive my 2005 Sierra at night because the lighting is so much brighter and wider.

Never the less, I keep current with my complaints to GMC and my service department.

And I have also volunteered my truck to be a test vehicle. I believe that the Texas hill country where my ranch is located would be an excellent testing area for night driving.

Highbeam isn't useful due to the shitty design of the projectors I think. New bulbs wouldn't change that.

Vast majority of vehicles using the new projector and of HID system from the factory are using this shutter design. The new Camaro uses it, my wifes 2011 Lincoln MKX uses it and the new trucks.

Vast majority of vehicles using the new projector and of HID system from the factory are using this shutter design. The new Camaro uses it, my wifes 2011 Lincoln MKX uses it and the new trucks.

Weird. When I hit the high beams they are pretty useless. I couldn't imagine more power would make it better. Aim wise I mean.

2005 GMC

2005 GMC Sierra 2500 HD OEM low beam

2015 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Low Beams

2015 GMC Sierra 3500 HD OEM low beam

These are my two GMC Sierra's .....Photos taken about 10 minutes apart at exact same spot on highway going to my ranch.
Notice on the 2015 that you cannot see to the left of the centerline of the highway, neither can you see very far down road.
I assure everyone that the 2005 GMC does have the factory OEM headlights, although I have had to replace bulbs in the past year. I installed Sylvania Silverstar bulbs with the factory bulb specs. and numbers.
Edited by Ranch55
  • Like 3

2005 GMC Sierra 2500 HD OEM low beam

2015 GMC Sierra 3500 HD OEM low beam

These are my two GMC Sierra's .....Photos taken about 10 minutes apart at exact same spot on highway going to my ranch.

Notice on the 2015 that you cannot see to the left of the centerline of the highway, neither can you see very far down road.

I assure everyone that the 2005 GMC does have the factory OEM headlights, although I have had to replace bulbs in the past year. I installed Sylvania Silverstar bulbs with the factory bulb specs. and numbers.

Awesome comparison, exactly how I feel, email that to gm,

Jeppers, do any of you actually read the threads or do you just come in here to complain and try to convince yourself of a reason to try and get a buyback from the forum approval???

A fix is in process, it will be released more than likely with in the month, it will give you a 35-40% increase in light output and will be handled as a TSB which will be no cost to you. I spoke directly with the head engineer from the exterior lighting area of the GM truck platform and got this info directly from him. GM is well aware of the issues with the headlights and knows of the complaints.

You have to understand, you have the dealer as step one. It is not like all dealers talk to each and every other dealer. They don't, and they deal with a small percentage of owners for their market/region. Then you have GM customer Care, once again they are but a small part of the process. They don't deal with the engineers, they only mediate between the customer and the dealer and maybe a regional rep.

So with that, you want GM to hear you. Then make sure your dealer knows you are unhappy with the performance of your headlights. Don't come on here and bitch, file a formal complaint with the dealer. Then once the new TSB or resolution comes out you will be able to get put in pine for the fix.

Otherwise if you hate your truck that much then sell it and move on, I will tell you though the grass is no greener on the otherside of the fence with the other brands. They all have issues, and sometimes those issues don't get fixed or resolved and then those owners go on forums bitching about the issues.

I'll believe in a TSB when I see it lol.

You gotta realize too buddy, this is social media...a place to come ask questions, get answers, complain, congratulate, educate, show off, etc. etc.....they are allowed to talk about trading in their truck as much as you are allowed to tell them to quit bitching, what does it matter? Scroll on past their comments if you take that much offense to them!!

I'm glad you have found and provided us with some great information in regards to the lights. No need to go bash other people who are expressing their buyers remorse or complaints about such poor headlights in a $50k vehicle, something most of us can relate to.

Edit* I'm not going to trade my truck back in over the headlights though lol, I can see where you're coming from on your post too bud.

-Skeet

Edited by SkeeterMcSkeet