Headlight Illumination Issues

Got a random email survey from GM today. It wasn't the dealer satisfaction one, it was titled 'GMC Quality about your new GMC Sierra'. Saw a spot to complain about the headlight light output as well as condensation. Needless to say I wrote them a couple long paragraphs regarding both issues and gave them a 1/10 on those areas. Is this a run-of-the-mill email everyone gets after purchasing a new vehicle, or do you think they are trying to see who all is having what type of issues?

-Skeet

It's something everyone gets that buys a GM vehicle.

• Like 1

Did a hid kit install and wow. It solved my problem. After a little research I decided to go with the hid kit from http://www.strictlyhids.com/2014SilveradoSierra.html

Easy complete installation and if you have a question, Eric will call you back or they will answer the phone. No waiting.

Did a hid kit install and wow. It solved my problem. After a little research I decided to go with the hid kit from http://www.strictlyhids.com/2014SilveradoSierra.html

Easy complete installation and if you have a question, Eric will call you back or they will answer the phone. No waiting.

these are alot cheaper than the kit from TRS. did they come with the capacitor link or anything to make them not flicker?

also, if you have any pics that'd be awesome!!

Price looks good..... I'm with MattUofM for more info!!

Edited by BowHunter1

Ok here is the info I got from the engineer on the headlight upgrade from GM. They only had some many allotments of the new VOLSA bulb and they are out of those now. I was told the final release is almost ready and then it will be sent out to the dealers.

Hopefully that means we should have a way to go to the dealer soon with your complaint and get this update. I will prob have mine done and see how the BCM voltage increase works with the new bulb. If the new bulb is better than stock but less than my current 9011 bulb then I will swap them back into the truck. The voltage increase will make the 9011 bulbs that much brighter though it may shorten the 9011 lifespan some.

• Like 1

ok another update on the headlight changes.

update will be out soon, really soon. I cant say the time frame but that it wont be too long.

The BCM update alone increases the voltage to the headlights and provides a 15% increase in light output. The bulb change to the new bulb provides a 20% increase in light output in addition to the BCM flash. The bulb is also 200K higher in color to a more white light. That means a 40% increase in light output from the new update along with a whiter light.

GM does and is hearing us folks, it does take time as it is not an easy task to validate complaints and come up with engineering changes, but from the conversation I just had GM is hearing a lot more than you/we think of the issues and seems to be taking the info and using it to make the changes that are needed. Give the process time, keep on your dealers and make sure they are logging the complaints and or also contacting GM customer care as well.

That is all I can share now, hoping to have mine in for the update in the near future.

Edited by TJay74
  • Like 2

Good news everyone that owns a 2014 - 2015 Sierra. Heard wind from my service manager that GM has received numerous complaints about the crappy head lights and is going to do a recall to provide better bulbs, wont be good as HIDs but pretty close...stay tuned!

I called GM customer care here in Canada and they are aware of the headlight issue but at this time they are not aware of any service bulletins. I have a 2014 GMC Sierra Denali 4X4 crew cab and from day one have complained to GM Canada about the headlight issue. I was also told by customer care that it is not a safety issue and that I will not be getting a safety recall letter. If and when a fix is available in Canada it will be by a service bulletin and that I will have to call my dealership to see if they have received the service bulletin. Also, because Canada has different standards than the USA the fix possibly could be different than the USA. So hopefully here in Canada this fix is soon because this truck, I feel is unsafe to drive at night with the current headlight setup.