Headlight Illumination Issues

I'm wondering if the flash just makes the infotainment center a little dimmer and does nothing to make the new bulbs brighter. If you think about it that be the cheapest way to make us think they are actually fixing it.

No just as bright as before reflash.

The reason it is not posted at the dealers yet is this is still more than likely in validation phase with the GM engineers right now. The OP and the few others are basically testing out the solution which then allows GM to push it out as a approved repair for the complaint.

Same process I went thru with the radio issues that we are still working on.

I did some playing around this evening. I have always felt that if this lamp assembly had a wide adjustment, the only major complaint we would have is the poor reach-out-and-touch ability while the light is on "high beam."

In my case, when on my rural two lane road, with its shoulder on each side, I had hardly any illumination of the oncoming lane (left lane) and its left shoulder. When turning onto a road on the left side--no street light--I turn into absolute darkness. You city boys just don't understand. It is as if you close your eyes.

We need a wide/lateral adjustment.

There is one! Well, settle down.... The mounting tabs have a bit of wiggle room. All you do is loosen the bolt going through the tab, and play around. There is about 1/4" of adjustment. Below is an image from the manual of the BACK side of the $800.00 lamp (!!!!) assembly. Loosen the PIVOT and the WIDE bolts. Just loosen.... Remember, this is an $800.00 lamp assembly. Be careful of cheap plastic designs.

410813911.jpg

The WIDE BOLT, move the assembly via a slight tug toward the front of the car. You are pulling. It will come at you about a 1/4". Tighten the WIDE bolt, tighten the PIVOT bolt.

I wish I had before and after photos, but I don't. However, let me tell you what I now have. There is an apparent improvement. Instead of a dark left/oncoming lane, it is now illuminated and the left shoulder is now somewhat illuminated. Before I did this, only the lane I was in and the shoulder to right was illuminated, as if I had a burned out drivers side bulb.

My left road that I turn into, into total darkness, is now illuminated just enough that I can see it and comfortably enter the road. There is now enough spillage across all the driving lanes. I now have at least what I call a minimal wide.

410813912.jpg

Edited by lrymal
  • Like 1

Thanks for taking the time to post that up Irymal!!! I just got some 9011 bulbs in and plan to install tomorrow. Will definitely give this a shot while am in there!!

Let us know your thoughts on 9011, I plan on doing the same, when it warms up, if nothing better comes along, seems some success has been achieved,

Truck is going in this morning for the "update" (new bulbs and the bcm flash) I expect this will not go smoothly, but here's hoping as it sounds like GM Canada, service manager, service tech are all on board. I will get part numbers for everyone this morning.

• Like 2

Truck is going in this morning for the "update" (new bulbs and the bcm flash) I expect this will not go smoothly, but here's hoping as it sounds like GM Canada, service manager, service tech are all on board. I will get part numbers for everyone this morning.

Anxiously awaiting news. I have my first service coming up and I have a list of things to go over with the service manager lol.

I am very interested in any progress you have with this. I have been in communications with service manager at my dealer, GMC customer assistance, GM customer service, and a GMC customer service "agent". All have been telling me that they are not aware of any potential upgrade or specifically, a VOSLA bulb with a BCM reflash. And I do have a GM case # on file regarding my truck about this issue.

Alright so truck on the shop took photo of part but too big to post.

GMC part# 23342527
ACDELCO part # 23342527

UPC code (scannable bar code) 808709357650.

Please keep in mind these are GM Canada part numbers.

Will report on the update when I get truck back.

Attached is a photo of the box (uploaded from home)

post-70431-0-12102900-1423677367_thumb.jpg

Edited by matixkyle
  • Like 3

I did some playing around this evening. I have always felt that if this lamp assembly had a wide adjustment, the only major complaint we would have is the poor reach-out-and-touch ability while the light is on "high beam."

In my case, when on my rural two lane road, with its shoulder on each side, I had hardly any illumination of the oncoming lane (left lane) and its left shoulder. When turning onto a road on the left side--no street light--I turn into absolute darkness. You city boys just don't understand. It is as if you close your eyes.

We need a wide/lateral adjustment.

There is one! Well, settle down.... The mounting tabs have a bit of wiggle room. All you do is loosen the bolt going through the tab, and play around. There is about 1/4" of adjustment. Below is an image from the manual of the BACK side of the $800.00 lamp (!!!!) assembly. Loosen the PIVOT and the WIDE bolts. Just loosen.... Remember, this is an $800.00 lamp assembly. Be careful of cheap plastic designs.410813911.jpg

The WIDE BOLT, move the assembly via a slight tug toward the front of the car. You are pulling. It will come at you about a 1/4". Tighten the WIDE bolt, tighten the PIVOT bolt.

I wish I had before and after photos, but I don't. However, let me tell you what I now have. There is an apparent improvement. Instead of a dark left/oncoming lane, it is now illuminated and the left shoulder is now somewhat illuminated. Before I did this, only the lane I was in and the shoulder to right was illuminated, as if I had a burned out drivers side bulb.

My left road that I turn into, into total darkness, is now illuminated just enough that I can see it and comfortably enter the road. There is now enough spillage across all the driving lanes. I now have at least what I call a minimal wide. 410813912.jpg

Thanks for the write up.