Headlight Illumination Issues

I'm still on the fence on this. I put in 9011 bulbs, wasn't completely satisfied, installed a TRS HID "kit" , and while the light is adequate, I'm still intent on better headlights. It just become a bit of an obsession at this point. But I think I'd be going backward from where I'm at now. And who wants to go backward? I'm just not feelin it.

Edited by spurshot
  • Like 2

I'm still on the fence on this. I put in 9011 bulbs, wasn't completely satisfied, installed a TRS HID "kit" , and while the light is adequate, I'm still intent on better headlights. It just become a bit of an obsession at this point. But I think I'd be going backward from where I'm at now. And who wants to go backward? I'm just not feelin it.

Fair enough. I read your posts about the headlights pretty often and applaud your research, if you will.

But for those who have sat back and haven't messed with their lights yet, this is a logical first step. I'm looking forward to seeing the findings.

• Like 5

I don't know if it would be going back, the extra voltage bump should help with output. that is something you can get from an HID kit unless you are direct wired to the battery.

I can't remember if you have a spare set of headlights you are working on to putting the fx-r projectors in your truck, but if you are, why not go ahead and get it done on an unmolested set with the flash done so you can run a stronger ballast safely? But then, you could be just using it for a trigger wire.

Edited by henrypbui

Being technically challenged, if I can get help from one if the younger guy at work I'll try to do this.

Regarding my lighting upgrade, continually calling GM customer service and expressing my dissatisfaction with my Sierra's headlights led to them assigning a case number (case number is on my work order). Quite a few months later I was provided an email address for someone at the top.

I took a shot at sending a nice polite short story on our headlights. Say a week passed and no response, then one day at work I received a call from GM Executive Office offering to send my dealership a pair of bulbs and BCM reflash, of course I accepted there offer. This was a first for the dealership they had never done or heard of this before.

Result is a great improvement over the previous lighting! I originally thought no one really cared, I was wrong--glad GM steppd up to the plate.

• Like 3

I also have a GM case # assigned to my truck ...... I was talking with a rep at GM Customer Assistance through the GM Owners Center. He initially told me that they were not aware of any GMC headlight issues. After much discussion he provided me with a GM case # for my truck (VIN) and also said he had similar discussions with other 2015 GMC Sierra owners concerning the headlighting not being adequate. He advised that I follow up with my dealer to go ahead and let them install GM Parts provided new light bulbs (same Philips HIR2 9012LL) in my truck. This would also establish a documented "trail" about my safety concerns.

I also wrote a letter to GM Customer Assistance Center in Detroit, Michigan. I included my case # and included all information about discussing issue with my dealer and my safety concerns. I provided a copy of the letter to my dealer as a courtesy, and to let my dealer know that I was not placing any blame or negative remarks on them.

We'll see .........

Edited by Ranch55

So I haven't seen who pays for this yet. Do we, or is it on GM?

-Skeet

I don't see where it matters much. Maybe GM will pay, if an update actually becomes available. If not, paying for a good, viable upgrade out-of-pocket will probably be well worth it. It would be to me anyway.

Some folks spend a lot of dollars for other headlight upgrades ........

subscribed.

Hope this is a viable replacement to the factory crap that is in there now. I have the Morimoto HID kit now and its amazing how much better this kit is over stock. I would love to go back to factory as these kits can be hit or miss from what Im reading but not sure this new bulb will be close to the HID kit from TRS. Can someone with the upgrade take a pic?

Edited by EPIC CAJUN

I don't see where it matters much. Maybe GM will pay, if an update actually becomes available. If not, paying for a good, viable upgrade out-of-pocket will probably be well worth it. It would be to me anyway.

Some folks spend a lot of dollars for other headlight upgrades ........

in the past GM has done part updates but not covered by warranty. however this could be viewed as a safety update so it may be covered.

on my CTS the trunk bezle would fall off, GM refused to cover it. it happened to almost every 2003 CTS out there, and i still see them driving around without a lens on them...