Headlight Illumination Issues

Hi XXXXX, Thanks for your feedback. We sincerely wish we were able to resolve every reported concern in favour of the customer; unfortunately, this is not always possible. We acknowledge that this issue has not been concluded to your satisfaction; however, our decision remains the same. Please contact the Service Manager, XXXXXX for detailed explanation. Best Regards, Kathleen GMC Canada Customer Care

Hi Kathleen, Please inform me as to what the resolution is. Thank you XXXXXXX(my name)
You have not provided any sort of position.
GMC Canada

Hi XXXXX, Thanks again for your feedback. The manufacture’s obligation to the base warranty is for the first three years or 60,000 KM of the vehicle (whichever comes first). We’re sure you can appreciate, as a vehicle gets further from its original warranty period, the manufacturer’s responsibility diminishes and it becomes the owner’s responsibility to maintain and repair the vehicle. For further information, please contact the Service Manager, XXXXX directly. You are welcome to contact us should you have any other inquiries or concerns. Best Wishes, Kathleen GMC Canada Customer Care
Complaint was issued under 20,000km and within 3 years. Thank you
Ongoing issue.

Seen by GMC Canada at 2:28pm

heres my latest convo with GM Canada.
they are dtill trying to deny any sort of liability for it, i think im going to be forced to actually sue, which was the advice from Transport canada.

Edited by EaZ8

im not going to give up on this and i wish i would have someone else push on it too. 

if someone else with headlight complaints on a 14 sierra could send me their vin i can lean on it harder and show service records with my statement of claim if i sue....which seems to be the direction this is going.

i just want them to fix my headlights ..

just double checked, issue started on june 30 2014 with 15366 km..

Edited by EaZ8

44 minutes ago, EaZ8 said:

im not going to give up on this and i wish i would have someone else push on it too. 

if someone else with headlight complaints on a 14 sierra could send me their vin i can lean on it harder and show service records with my statement of claim if i sue....which seems to be the direction this is going.

i just want them to fix my headlights ..

just double checked, issue started on june 30 2014 with 15366 km..

I have a theory that some times they are not modifying the voltage to the headlights. It’s not super easy, I read the whole TSB.

i mean the tech gets paid to change out the bulbs and modify the ecu, it would not be surprising at all if they skipped the second part and did not increase the voltage, and it’s causing bulb failures. My theory is that some people had that incorrectly performed and some didn’t. Now have 20k miles and 1.5 years on my updated volsa’s with 0 issues. I gave the tech an envelope with the tsb and $20 inside.

Just a thought as maybe it’s something you can check into, might be someway to verify voltage.

45 minutes ago, truckguy82 said:

I have a theory that some times they are not modifying the voltage to the headlights. It’s not super easy, I read the whole TSB.

i mean the tech gets paid to change out the bulbs and modify the ecu, it would not be surprising at all if they skipped the second part and did not increase the voltage, and it’s causing bulb failures. My theory is that some people had that incorrectly performed and some didn’t. Now have 20k miles and 1.5 years on my updated volsa’s with 0 issues. I gave the tech an envelope with the tsb and $20 inside.

Just a thought as maybe it’s something you can check into, might be someway to verify voltage.

According to the shop foreman, he tested all the voltage points related to headlights and the grounds and they are all within GM spec.

In theroy, higher voltage wears out bulbs faster, so the old software the bulbs would last longer.

1 hour ago, EaZ8 said:

According to the shop foreman, he tested all the voltage points related to headlights and the grounds and they are all within GM spec.

In theroy, higher voltage wears out bulbs faster, so the old software the bulbs would last longer.

Thats not true, with halogen bulbs lower voltage decreases life span. They need to maintain their filament temperature to work properly. If the volsa’s were designed for say 14volts, and they are only getting 12, it could revert the halogen into what essentially is just a regular incandescent.

you would likely notice low output, and possible darkening of the quartz inside the filiment

2 minutes ago, truckguy82 said:

Thats not true, with halogen bulbs lower voltage decreases life span. They need to maintain their filament temperature to work properly. If the volsa’s were designed for say 14volts, and they are only getting 12, it could revert the halogen into what essentially is just a regular incandescent.

you would likely notice low output, and possible darkening of the quartz inside the filiment

if memory serves me right the filament was white on the burnt out ones.

2 hours ago, EaZ8 said:

Exactly...higher voltage = lower lamp life regardless if its a halogen.

I would guess truckguy82 didn’t get the ecm update, just new bulbs.  So much for that $20.

Edited by Brianibew

9 hours ago, Brianibew said:

Exactly...higher voltage = lower lamp life regardless if its a halogen.

I would guess truckguy82 didn’t get the ecm update, just new bulbs.  So much for that $20.

That is not true.

google “dimming halogen”

Halogen works because the tungsten filament evaporates and then is condensed right back onto the filament.

an incandescent bulb evaporates the tungsten as well, but it is deposited on the glass of the bulb. This is why an incandescent has a shorter life span.

if you lower the voltage of a halogen, it will revert back into incandescent mode, and it will deposit the tungsten on the glass. In 

it is true that if you raise it too much it will shorten the life span as well. There is a voltage sweet spot.

if I did not get the voltage upgrade, that would be odd since my headlights are significantly brighter then stock and the tech who perfored the upgrade knew I was aware of the proper procedure.

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2014 at 4:16 PM, Ventilator said:

Yeah, they are adequate for driving around town, but try them going 80 MPH down the interstate in Wyoming at night, miles from any town.

Where the deer and the antelope play!

It can get kind of scary going around curves, when your lights have tunnel vision.

I live in the country, where it is pitch black at night, with lots of deer.

GM can do better.

What is it you would call a fella that knows a thing is dangerous, like out driving his headlights, and does it anyway then blames the manufacture?

:lurk: 

2 hours ago, truckguy82 said:

Such an annoying an response his complaint

I don't understand the grammar or the  punctuation. :( Haven't a clue what your trying to say. 

My trucks RPO lighting code is TG5 halogen, pencil beam. They work perfectly. All they needed was alignment, rain, shine, daylight or new moon. My windows are tinted and I'm old.

Hot tip. If you hit that deer even doing 10 mph under the speed limit totaling your truck AND you collect the ticket called, "traveling to fast for conditions" or "failure to stop in an assured clear distance" AND are convicted on that/those tickets; good luck getting an insurer to pay out. That's not hear say. That's personal experience. 

i would really appreciate it if everyone with a 14/15 sierra that has had legit complaints about headlight bulb life or light output please go on to GM Canadas and GM USA's facebook (please go on both so we get enough visibility) and reply to their posts and voice your issues where they can be publicly seen, not just in this private forum.

keep it clean and just state the facts, they made a defective product and are refusing to own up to it and fix the issue.

maybe if they start seeing their ads are getting ruined with LEGIT complaints it will force them to actually do something.

my next step will will be having a meeting with my dealership then if that fails ill be going the legal route.

this is total bs, they need to own up to their product being defective.