Headlight Illumination Issues

I was looking at a Base Sierra 2500, and noticed it had the same Headlamp design, but my understanding is that it has an HID Bulb, versus the Halogen....can that HID Bulb (if I'm correct on my info) fit into the 2015 Sierra ?

How is the lighting output of these headlamps? Would it be a viable option to improve the lighting on our 1500 series trucks?

Just got off the phone with one of GM's exec. customer service reps that was working with me, my dealer and GM on this headlight issue and basically a waste of time-says GM will not be making any updates at this time to the trucks, such as retrofitting the '16 LED's into the '14 & '15's due to all that goes with the change.

I asked her why an individual can figure out and produce a wiring harness to complete the install of the LED's to the older trucks but GM says it's too complicated of a swap? She had no response.

Edited by Shredzy
  • Like 1

There are a number of commercial companies out there selling kits with LEDs or HID bulbs. I've stayed away from them because, based on things I read on the interwebs, they don't seem to always work as intended. Some folks may have made them work, but I don't want to spend a lot of money and find out they don't work -- and I've voided my warranty.

GMC could readily design a solution to our problem, along one of two lines: 1). Install HID bulbs in the existing headlight unit, which would also require installation of a ballast for each HID bulb and a new wiring harness. 2) Design a new headlight unit that is exactly the same size/shape as the existing one, but has two reflectors and two bulbs instead of the puny projector system. The existing wiring harness might work with this, or might need a modification for the high beam to work (since our high beam actually uses the same bulb as the low beam, and is controlled by a signal that opens a gate for the light to shine over a wider area).

My guess is that a tailored system of HID bulbs, ballasts, and wiring harness could be built by GMC for under $100, and new headlight units using reflectors and standard halogen bulbs could be built for under $200.

Personally, I'd pay for either one out of my own pocket, if I knew the results were going to be top "professional grade" quality.

There are a number of commercial companies out there selling kits with LEDs or HID bulbs. I've stayed away from them because, based on things I read on the interwebs, they don't seem to always work as intended. Some folks may have made them work, but I don't want to spend a lot of money and find out they don't work -- and I've voided my warranty.

GMC could readily design a solution to our problem, along one of two lines: 1). Install HID bulbs in the existing headlight unit, which would also require installation of a ballast for each HID bulb and a new wiring harness. 2) Design a new headlight unit that is exactly the same size/shape as the existing one, but has two reflectors and two bulbs instead of the puny projector system. The existing wiring harness might work with this, or might need a modification for the high beam to work (since our high beam actually uses the same bulb as the low beam, and is controlled by a signal that opens a gate for the light to shine over a wider area).

My guess is that a tailored system of HID bulbs, ballasts, and wiring harness could be built by GMC for under $100, and new headlight units using reflectors and standard halogen bulbs could be built for under $200.

Personally, I'd pay for either one out of my own pocket, if I knew the results were going to be top "professional grade" quality.

I emailed 7 separate GMC dealers in the Edmonton city limit area to see if any of them have actually swapped the new LED/HID housings on the 2016s into any 2014-2015 and none have them have.

Some of them even said GM is directing them to refuse this outright on this exact subject which seems like a ploy to force people to buy a new 2016 truck. Really they could do a small money making scheme to offer the 16' lights in 2014-2015s but I think the hassle of establishing the logistics horsepower is just too much for them. Plus they could make thousands more off desperate people to buy new trucks.

I emailed 7 separate GMC dealers in the Edmonton city limit area to see if any of them have actually swapped the new LED/HID housings on the 2016s into any 2014-2015 and none have them have.

Some of them even said GM is directing them to refuse this outright on this exact subject which seems like a ploy to force people to buy a new 2016 truck. Really they could do a small money making scheme to offer the 16' lights in 2014-2015s but I think the hassle of establishing the logistics horsepower is just too much for them. Plus they could make thousands more off desperate people to buy new trucks.

Not sure if GM's lack of assistance to help improve the lighting on the trucks is a ploy to get people to trade up to a 2016, but if it is, I'm not going for it-with purchasing my truck and adding several accessories I'm not about to take that big of a hit.

I find it interesting that you mention that GM has instructed their dealers to refuse the lighting swap, seems word is getting around that the '16 lights can be used in the older trucks but GM would rather not get involved in providing a safer lighting solution.

SierraRover, you mention you would pay out of pocket for a solution, have you considered getting a set of the 2016 LED lights and a wiring harness from GEN5DIY?

Edited by Shredzy

Has anyone purchased the 2016 HD headlights with the HID's from Gen5DIY? I want to know how they perform. I am considering this upgrade as a permanent solution to my lighting woes.

At ~$1300, minus the $600 - $700 I get for my old ones (for the pair, per the going rate on eBay), that's a net cost of around $600. It's a lot of money to fix a factory design defect, but I think that is an acceptable solution. Still much less than trading for a new truck with a redesign I really don't like. I want to keep the stock look of my '15, just with better performance. I love everything else about my truck except the lighting.

Edited by 2Speed
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all... Im new to the forum and have had some issues with my 15 2500HD and figured Id share my results on them...Headlights being one... The other is the GM-shake..

I too complained to the dealer about the headlights.. I was told they are to the standard set by the GM engineers and that there was no possible way to make them brighter.. I opted to do some research and buy the HID kit. I purchased the 55watt /5500k kit available from theretrofitsource.com and I have to say this was some of the best money ive spent on this truck... I have had them in now for about 4 months and I can tell you it makes a world of difference..... I have driven the 16 model trucks and I have to say they are much brighter but not as bright as the HID kit..

I did just find out later on that there is a bulletin on this issue and that they would upgrade the bulbs..

Technical Service Bulletin PIT5374

1. For vehicles built before 12/23/14 at Flint Assembly (11th Vin Digit "F"), 1/13/15 at Silao Assembly (11th Vin Digit "G") or 1/16/15 at Ft. Wayne Assembly (11th Vin Digit "Z"), reprogram the BCM with the latest calibration available in TIS2WEB starting on 1/12/2015. The new BCM calibration will increase the voltage to the headlight bulbs in both the low beam and high beam selections. Important: All vehicles built after the above dates already have the new BCM calibrations and the BCM reprogramming does NOT need to be performed.

Edited by 15bronzeduramax

Hello all... Im new to the forum and have had some issues with my 15 2500HD and figured Id share my results on them...Headlights being one... The other is the GM-shake..

I too complained to the dealer about the headlights.. I was told they are to the standard set by the GM engineers and that there was no possible way to make them brighter.. I opted to do some research and buy the HID kit. I purchased the 55watt /5500k kit available from theretrofitsource.com and I have to say this was some of the best money ive spent on this truck... I have had them in now for about 4 months and I can tell you it makes a world of difference..... I have driven the 16 model trucks and I have to say they are much brighter but not as bright as the HID kit..

I did just find out later on that there is a bulletin on this issue and that they would upgrade the bulbs..

Technical Service Bulletin PIT5374

1. For vehicles built before 12/23/14 at Flint Assembly (11th Vin Digit "F"), 1/13/15 at Silao Assembly (11th Vin Digit "G") or 1/16/15 at Ft. Wayne Assembly (11th Vin Digit "Z"), reprogram the BCM with the latest calibration available in TIS2WEB starting on 1/12/2015. The new BCM calibration will increase the voltage to the headlight bulbs in both the low beam and high beam selections. Important: All vehicles built after the above dates already have the new BCM calibrations and the BCM reprogramming does NOT need to be performed.

It made very little difference, if any at all.....and the new expensive bulbs have a short life span

• Like 1

Beer Belly -

Glad I didnt waste my time with that then...

I can say that I'm happy with the HID I put in...

Took a few hours to install and I'll try to post pics later of before/after and the install...

• Like 2

Those HID bulbs look pretty good. I'm interested in finding out if there are any problems, now or down the road. But I think this is a lot closer to what GMC should have put in these trucks in the first place!

• Like 1

Afternoon rzr and SierraRover..

I purchased them through www.theretrofitsource.com...

They sell a complete kit for the 2014+ Sierra. It is the Morimoto Elite HID system. The offer 2 different kits: 35w and 55w.. I got the 55w kit.. the entire kit with tax cost me $180.46 and I had it within 3 days. It took me roughly 6 hours to install it as I tried to figure out the best configuration for a perfect and professional install.. I think it came out pretty good... There are other kits available from other suppliers but this one had very good reviews from the start and since has had maintained as such... I have had them in now for (4) months and they work flawlessly... I also replaced my fog lights with LED..

• Like 4

Those HID bulbs look pretty good. I'm interested in finding out if there are any problems, now or down the road. But I think this is a lot closer to what GMC should have put in these trucks in the first place!

Curious to hear how they (HID's) work in winter (freezing temps).

Are they affected by low temperatures?

Edited by Shredzy

• 2 weeks later...